"Downgrading" my snuuby ammo

This is a discussion on "Downgrading" my snuuby ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love .357. I really do. But after the range trip I had this Sunday I'm just not confident in my ability to put multiple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: "Downgrading" my snuuby ammo

I love .357. I really do. But after the range trip I had this Sunday I'm just not confident in my ability to put multiple full house .357's on target. 38's aren't a issue but with .357's I'm already fighting against a long double action trigger pull. Add into that the considerable muzzle flip and I just not confident in my abilities. My dad reloads .357 so I have a chance to practice with the load plenty but I just haven't been able to master it. So I have decided to go with 38's. I am going to pick up some Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition. It's basically a copy of the classic FBI .38 special load. I know I am giving up a bit of "power" but I really do believe that shot placement is king and that if I ever do (god forbid) have to use my snubby is self defense that the ability to put multiple rounds on target quickly and accurately will trump "power".
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Plenty of people carry .38 in a snub nosed, it should work okay for you.

I truly believe that .357 plays an important role in the battery of handgun rounds, but I feel that role is for full sized revolvers, not snub nosed pistols. Even with my steel framed Rossi 461 (2" barrel, steel frame), .357 starts to get unmanageable in some rounds.

Kudos to you for recognizing your abilities, and adapting, instead of just sticking with pride, and trying to force yourself to stick with something you are uncomfortable with.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

One .38 in the CoM is better than five .357 in the dirt.
    BugDude, tkruf and shooterX like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nothing wrong with a good .38 round. I carry my S&W 442 with good +P .38s and I'm fully confident in the round and my ability with that particular firearm. You may want to consider an Airweight S&W in .38 as they are smaller and lighter than the SP101. With a Wolff spring set, the trigger pull isn't bad either.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I also carry a S&W 442 .38 special and I feel confident with the caliber and my precision.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

My experience with .38+p L.S.W.C.H.P. (although not Buffalo Bore) in a .357 revolver is that occasionally lead flecks will sorta weld themselves in the business end of the cylinder bores normally filled with the longer .357 round. I've read of several instances of those flecks prohibiting the casings from being ejected or lead flecks literally locking up the cylinder.

I've had very good luck with Gold Dot .357s for short barrel revolvers.

Just my 2¢.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Nothing a brass brush and some attention to detail won't take care of.

Try Remingtons Golden Sabre in 357, its not a full house load but its much more powerful than most 38+p. I reload and carry Barnes 125grn XPB's loaded med-hot, they shoot good and from my results expand reliably at 1200fps.

Rollo, I don't think the BB +P is equal to the FBI load. It is hotter than any FBI load specs I have ever seen, but maybe Double Tap has something like that. The BB NON +P is equal to the FBI load. I bought a box of each and have shot most of it. The BB +P is pretty stout in an Airweight, but isn't bad in my steel 649.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I have both versions of the Ruger LCR .38 and .357, but I much prefer carrying the .38 because it's lighter, and even tho it's lighter, it doesn't recoil as bad as the .357 (that is when the .357 is loaded with .357 ammo). Even though the .357 would recoil less with .38's in it, I'd rather carry the .38 version of the gun because it is lighter, and to me, very manageable.

Good on you for realizing your limits and going with what you can handle. The .38 has been around for a long long time and has withstood the test of time. Ain't no shame in that. Carry on.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Plenty of people carry .38 in a snub nosed, it should work okay for you.

I truly believe that .357 plays an important role in the battery of handgun rounds, but I feel that role is for full sized revolvers, not snub nosed pistols. Even with my steel framed Rossi 461 (2" barrel, steel frame), .357 starts to get unmanageable in some rounds.

Kudos to you for recognizing your abilities, and adapting, instead of just sticking with pride, and trying to force yourself to stick with something you are uncomfortable with.
    Good choice, Rollo!

I agree 100% with Buckeye on this one. I've had a couple of .357 snubbies - both of your SP101's granddaddies (Security Sixes) - and determined 25 years ago that a full-house .357 in a snubbie is NOT a good CC load, even with a fairly big, heavy frame. Fun to shoot (if you like recoil & muzzle blast), but for the reasons you listed, something more controllable makes for a much better CCW. Apologies to the .357 snubbie crowd, but I'd rather have 7 or 8 (or 10) rounds of 9mm or .45ACP, or 5 or 6 well-placed rounds of .38, than .357's in a snub any day. I love shooting my .44's, but they wouldn't be my first choice for defensive combat, for the same reasons. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

I wouldn't think twice about dropping down to a 38 special. My ideal pocket gun in my S&W 649, I have been shooting full house 357 rounds my entire life.
    Do what fits your needs, not mine or the guy who posted above or below you. When it hits the fan I can promise you this, they won't be there!!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The Remington +P 158 grain lead SWC load is close to the old FBI load's performance. The Buffalo Bore +P 158 grain SWC load is considerably more energetic. It may not be exactly what you have in mind for enhanced control of the revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I think it's a great decision. I've been struggling between 9mm and 40. Probably going to stay with the 9 for similar reasons. Seriously considering getting the LCR in 38 next as BUG and for greater flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by 357 Terms View Post
    Try Remingtons Golden Sabre in 357, its not a full house load but its much more powerful than most 38+p. I reload and carry Barnes 125grn XPB's loaded med-hot, they shoot good and from my results expand reliably at 1200fps.
    +1, the all copper bullets are mighty expensive though. Definately has the best velocity and reliable expansion with no jacket / core separations issues to deal with. I carry both, but if I can find a good deal on the Corbon DPX or Thunder Ranch DPX, I would rather have those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links