Too much recoil?

This is a discussion on Too much recoil? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I bought a used Kel-Tec PF9 off my brother and after putting several magazines through it I have decided I hate the recoil of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Too much recoil?

Too much recoil?

So, I bought a used Kel-Tec PF9 off my brother and after putting several magazines through it I have decided I hate the recoil of it. HATE it. I was using cheap, non +p ammo as well. Other than that the gun is well designed and very well off for what it was intended for.

Now, am I just being a silly about this? I shoot my CZ 75B in 40 all day long and the recoil I hardly notice from the guns weight. If I move over to a small frame .38 is the recoil going to be just as bad? Lets say in the LCR for example. I just found the recoil in the PF9 to be horrible making follow up shots wild.

And another down side to the kel-tec, it's not rated for +p ammo and with that in consideration I really don't want to be disabled by my own gun via a slide to the face.

2. Remove Ads

The design of the CZ is amazing and positions the barrel lower down enhancing accuracy and reducing felt recoil. A snub .38 is not a particularly low recoil gun either.

Smaller guns usually mean higher felt recoil. Usually. My J frame is a 60-14. All stainless steel with combat grips. I do not and will not run 357 loads through it. She gets 38+Ps. The combat (all three fingers fit on the knurling) grips and all steel construction gentle the recoil down. A lot. But the larger grips mean there is that much more to conceal, and the all steel construction means that much more weight. I have shot Airweights, and they are snappier than my 60. But they are lighter and their smaller grips make them easier to conceal. Gonna have to pick your own poison, I'm afraid.

go to Walmart and buy a pair of weight lifting gloves. Padded palms really helps with the snappy recoil at the range. When I first started shooting the PF-9, I was not really happy with the way the gun snapped back in my hand, but with practice, actually started to enjoy the "ride". I'm a recoil junky, so I have come to really enjoy my little 12oz cannons. Never had a failure in either of my PF-9's, and the accuracy is much more than you would expect from a gun that cost $275. At least one of them is with me 24/7 in my right front pants pocket as a BUG to my Glock 19 or Glock 26.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Kel-tecs are known to be snappy in the recoil dept. If you don;t like a weapon then your less likely to practice are carry it, are at least that's how I am. Sounds like it's may be time to sell are put it up for consignment at your LGS (if they offer that service) and pick up something you will enjoy shooting.

If you are willing to give it some time and put more rounds through it, you will get used to it. When I first purchased my PF9, I too thought it was too snappy and thought of selling it, but after about 250 rounds I started to find that I like it. Now any other gun I shoot seems so tame. I now have over 1000+ rounds though mine without any problems. God Bless

OH SNAP Girlfriend,I actually have a P11,they aren't range guns,every month or so I put 2 mags of ammo into the target at 7 yards and it's to stay proficient,2 mags thru the P11 and you can feel it,If you ever have to use it you won't notice the recoil
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Buying a Hogue Handall Jr. grip for the PF-9 is a must. I've tried to find a thin pair of padded gloves, but getting a big finger through the trigger guard with gloves is a chore. This Kel-tec has a real snap to the trigger reset as well.

You either love it & learn to work with it, or ya move on to something else. I'm still lovin' it. I put 50 rounds through it at the range every month - at least half are SD rounds.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Buying a Hogue Handall Jr. grip for the PF-9 is a must. I've tried to find a thin pair of padded gloves, but getting a big finger through the trigger guard with gloves is a chore. This Kel-tec has a real snap to the trigger reset as well.

You either love it & learn to work with it, or ya move on to something else. I'm still lovin' it. I put 50 rounds through it at the range every month - at least half are SD rounds.
    I don't know anything about these people, but you might take a look at these...

GripSwell Ergonomic Shooting Gloves

They almost look like a pair of padded golf gloves.

If you are that recoil-sensitive,maybe a S&W model 617 is more along your lines!

The PF9 isn't a marathon range session gun. It's a shoot enough to stay proficient with it gun. For me, "too much recoil" is more about not being able to place quick and accurate follow shots then it is about physical discomfort. I recently made the decision to start carrying .38 sp +p's in my .357 snubby because full house .357 's were just to difficult to keep on target. They were also not exactly "comfortable" to shoot but (like your PF9) a snubby really isn't a range gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The PF-9 is a carry a lot, shoot a little type of gun. And it is +P rated by the way....."but not with continuous use". So the manual says.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Recoil control IMHO is about keeping follow up shots on target. I do this buy a lot of blind shooting and use of snap caps so that I sometimes pull the trigger on blanks instead of live rounds. This makes your flinches show up quickly! also starting very slow and building the speed slowly is grossly overlooked! people see how fast they can draw and shoot and then practice it as fast as they can. Instead do it slowly over and over again but slow. that will eventually give you the speed and the ability to control the recoil of whatever you wish.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I had the same reaction shooting J frames with just 38s. Funny thing is, I can shoot my Kahr PM9 all day long in total comfort, yet I cringe when I have to load another 5 into a snubby.

cmb
    I would say the PF9 does recoil more than most but is is a weight thing, what you can in comfort of cary you pay for in recoil, it is a trade off, but you can learn to shoot it and shoot it well if you are willing to practice. I shot 100 rounds in mine for three days straight and that hurts, it is a good little shooter for what it is intended. As for the LCR, I just held one for the first time yesterday and that thing felt great and really light... I think it just went on my list... Snubs shoot good but are different in feel but can be very accurate with practice! i think the key word is practice...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links