XD40 vs. Glock 19 , who owns both and rotates them in carry?

This is a discussion on XD40 vs. Glock 19 , who owns both and rotates them in carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to buy a xd40 for a good price , but I have been eyeballing a G19 for awhile as well. Now ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mattwestm
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By Civil_Response

Thread: XD40 vs. Glock 19 , who owns both and rotates them in carry?

I have a chance to buy a xd40 for a good price , but I have been eyeballing a G19 for awhile as well. Now I have some "toy money" saved to purchase one and can't decide which one. First off , it will be a CCW for me that will go in a CBST (or similar) type holster. Secondly , I may do some steel plate shooting as well. So for the peeps who have both guns , which do you favor? and please no fanboy war either
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Before I got my XD-9, I had pretty much decided on a Glock 19. I liked everything about it until I shot it. My hand just didn't feel right on the grip. I had never thought about getting an XD until I started researching them a bit. Instead of the Glock, I picked up the XD essentials pack for about 100 less than a Glock 19. Right now I'm happy with my XD-9 and would definitely buy another XD. The grip angle and price are really the only reasons I went with the XD over the Glock. The grip safety and other features didn't really have an impact on my purchase. Actually, I would prefer it without the grip safety, but I've never had any problems with it, so it's okay to me.

I'd go with what you like best. Shoot both and compare grip angle, trigger, and sights. If you like both and have the money, get both!
    Augrunt likes this.

I do not have a glock 19 or have I shot one, however....I do own a glock 27 and a sub compact XD40 and I love the XD. Believe it or not the XD is the most accurate pistol of my collection. I shoot regularly and I have had zero problems with ftf/fte.

I don't buy guns based on "feel". When I first went to Glock in the 80s, it felt totally foreign in my hand. With practice and time, anything will begin to feel normal.

Make your purchase based on track record, ease of operation, and part/ accessorie availability.
    You are not buying a feel good. But, if it's for a fun gun, it doesn't matter.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't buy guns based on "feel". When I first went to Glock in the 80s, it felt totally foreign in my hand. With practice and time, anything will begin to feel normal.

Make your purchase based on track record, ease of operation, and part/ accessorie availability.
    You are not buying a feel good. But, if it's for a fun gun, it doesn't matter.
    couldn't agree more. I have been shooting Glocks for a long time, and have never had a failure of any kind. Everyone says that the Glocks don't feel good in their hands....Pfffffttt!!!.......I know that when the SHTF, that I won't care how my Glock feels in my hand as I have learned to shoot it well, and I know it will always do its part when needed. BTW, I have several XD's, and comparing the concealment of an XD vs a Glock 19 is a no brainer. XD's are much bulkier and I rarely carry them....with the exception of the 45 Compact which I do carry in cooler weather OWB. I also own an XD 9SC that I bought used that was vitually COVERED in rust when I got it.....so much for that Mellonite finish. Not gonna ever happen with a Glock, and in Florida weather, that is a must.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

On June first, I purchased a gen 4 G 19. As of this writing, it has performed flawlessly! I am pleased and plan to purchase a G36 in a few days.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    On June first, I purchased a gen 4 G 19. As of this writing, it has performed flawlessly! I am pleased and plan to purchase a G36 in a few days.
    My Gen 4 has been flawless too and it does feel good in hand.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    The XD/XDM line is just as reliable as the Glock line - if it feels better in the hand, it's an bonus and one that I appreciate. I shoot more for enjoyment than self defense (maybe I'm just lucky)...

In a self defense situation I'd shoot a 1911 with my teeth if I 'had to'... doesn't mean I'll be doing it at the range to get used to it.

I have a G19 and an XD 357 Sig, supposed to be the same as the 9mm and 40.
    The XD is new, I've only put about 50 rounds down range with it.
    Without trying to start crap, I like the Glock....MUCH better!
    The XD has a horribly tough trigger. Maybe it just needs some breaking in, but I also have a Sigma 40VE, and I would rather shoot it before the XD.
    Both the XD and the Sigma fit my hand much better than the Glock. But, for the three years that I have been shooting my three Glocks, the "fit" never really
    bothered me, and I shoot any of the Glocks better than the other two mentioned.
    At this time, I am trying to decide if I want to send in the XD to have a 40 barrel fit to it, since 357 Sig is so expensive (and I NEVER see that brass laying
    around the range). But I don't know if I want to invest any more $$ into a gun I don't really like to shoot.
    I'm sure it's a fine gun, but you know what they say about first impressions....I am not impressed with the XD line.
    My Glock(s) shoot fine and accurately all day long!
    Other than the fit thing, nobody really complains about the Glock guns.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

I have an XD9SC and a Glock 23 Gen 4. Both have their merits and both have been 100% reliable. Go shoot them both and buy whatever you shoot better.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I bought an XD40 7 years ago and really enjoyed it. Never shot it that well until recently (started taking my time more, going more often, fundamentals, etc). It was my first handgun and I still love it. I also recently purchased a G19. Yes, the grip is different, but I shoot "thumbs forward" so don't really notice a huge difference. I can go from one to the other at the range, no problem. For carry, it's the G19, it feels much lighter and the grip angle helps it hide better. Would I carry the XD40, sure, but not now that I have the G19. When SHTF, I'd certainly grab either and feel comfortable. Buy both, you won't be disappointed.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I used to have a XD40 and really liked it...just don't like the .40 round so I traded it a while back, and now have a Glock26 which is my carry and a Glock19 Gen4 (Also have a G29SF 10mm on order! can't wait).........Love my Glocks. I prefer the Glocks now. They are both equal when it comes to reliability and quality. The XDs and XDMs actually have a feel of precision built and more advance technology that surpases the Glocks in my opinion. But again I still prefer the Glocks, why mess with a perfect design. I just like the way they shoot and feel better.

I picked up an XD Compact 9 and didn't like the feel or bulk, however I now own 4 Glocks a 17,23,26 & a 30. The G30 is a .45 and considered by most to be to thick to conceal and carry. I carry my G30 in a hybird IWB holster by Tommy Thies and dont really notice the extra weight of the gun. I probably carry my G26 the most & will soon be getting a G19. When I purchased My G26 I didn't realize how close in size it was to a G19 when the pierce extensions are added to the magazines of the G26.

The G19 is an excellent CCW. Even if you are not a Glock fan you have to admit that.

OK I would like to point something out that I see overall in most of the posts hear. 1 guy had an issue with his XD's trigger being heavy and I think there must have been an issue with that gun because I use to compete with a bone stock XD 9 service and won on occasion (IDPA and bowling pin). Otherwise XD lovers love their XD's. Glock owners love their Glocks. I'm not a fan of the Glock platform but speaking objectively they will run no matter what, everyone knows that. The owners that like them have said they had to get used to the grip angle and they felt a bit wierd at first. This is a negative if you ask me, if you have to adjust yourself to the gun ergonomics then perhaps it may not be the gun for you JMHO. Now lets talk XD reliability. Google the XD 20,000 round torture test. I think the XD has just as much credit as the Glocks in the reliabilty department. I'm sure if you googled it you could find someone with issues with either the XD or the Glock. Also all the issues i've read about gen 4 Glocks lately introduce a slight level of doubt in my mind. If it was me I would go XD, but if the Glock feels good go for it. Truthfully the merits of either are so close you can't go wrong either way.

I personally like the XD better than the Glock. And that is what you should find out, which one you like personally. They are both excellent guns but I have seen more chest pounding and ego with this particular discussion over the last few years to last a lifetime. The manual of arms is similar on both guns and both run like tanks. The XD has the grip safety (which I like) and the Glock has the internal trigger safety. They both work fine. The best safety is the one between your ears. So, rent, shoot, and purchase what you want. You won't go wrong with either.

Sponsored Links