Lasers: the good and the not so good - Page 3

Lasers: the good and the not so good

This is a discussion on Lasers: the good and the not so good within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 45Gunner Problem with laser is I see way too many people become dependent on them and when the battery quits, they stop ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Lasers: the good and the not so good

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    Problem with laser is I see way too many people become dependent on them and when the battery quits, they stop shooting, unless they have a spare battery. In essence, they have become what I term a "laser cripple." One must continue to train and use the iron sights to maintain proficiency.
    I can see this becoming a problem for some people. I personally don't use one, but that doesn't mean that no one else should. Training is the most important thing.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

los
    During the act of self-defense, if an innocent bystander is shot or killed with a CCW that is laser equipped, imagine the Liability one will inherent.

When bullets start flying, the little red dot becomes a moot optical aid and accessory.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I have a Crimson Trace on my SP101 I use for carry. I zeroed the laser and that was it. I check it occasionally when I shoot to make sure it holds it's zero, but I practice and train with my iron sights. I check the laser before I holster to make sure it turns on. I see nothing but positive with having a laser on your CCW. Face it, there are people that can't afford, don't have time, etc, to properly train with their carry weapon. If this "little red dot" helps them not become victims, that's just fine in my book. Also, my brother who is in the 82nd, had a CT laser grip on his M4. He said you wouldn't believe how people quickly backed away from his Humvee when he turned the laser on them. He said it was a great deterrent for some people that wanted to get a little too close to his Humvee.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    During the act of self-defense, if an innocent bystander is shot or killed with a CCW that is laser equipped, imagine the Liability one will inherent.
    I seriously doubt that the laser will attach as additional liability. Any other person struck by an errant bullet, the specific intent to do great bodily harm is usually transferred automatically to the new recipient. So if you intended to kill the primary, you intended to kill the next one, too. Especially if it was a foreseeable event. But if your round goes through a wall or deflects off of something else at a weird angle, something that couldn't be foreseen, you might get a pass with a good lawyer. THIS is why I use MAGSAFE's in my edc, at least here in South Florida.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I seriously doubt that the laser will attach as additional liability. Any other person struck by an errant bullet, the specific intent to do great bodily harm is usually transferred automatically to the new recipient. So if you intended to kill the primary, you intended to kill the next one, too. Especially if it was a foreseeable event. But if your round goes through a wall or deflects off of something else at a weird angle, something that couldn't be foreseen, you might get a pass with a good lawyer. THIS is why I use MAGSAFE's in my edc, at least here in South Florida.
    Laser's are manufactured, produced and advertised as an accessory to aid in target acquisition. Once adjusted and "zeroed-in", when the trigger is pulled, the bullet should hit where the cute little red dot is illuminating. This is the Laser's primary advantage. Dot acquired,Target acquired.

How would you or anyone explain to a Judge and Jury that you fired your weapon while the laser was pointed at an innocent bystander..?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Laser's are manufactured, produced and advertised as an accessory to aid in target acquisition. Once adjusted and "zeroed-in", when the trigger is pulled, the bullet should hit where the cute little red dot is illuminating. This is the Laser's primary advantage. Dot acquired,Target acquired.

How would you or anyone explain to a Judge and Jury that you fired your weapon while the laser was pointed at an innocent bystander..?
    Same as if your iron sight was pointed at an innocent bystander.

The laser is just like iron sights or no sights, things can change between target acquisition and discharge. Its what happens in some shots to the back that did not originate that way.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

los
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Same as if your iron sight was pointed at an innocent bystander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The laser is just like iron sights or no sights, things can change between target acquisition and discharge. Its what happens in some shots to the back that did not originate that way.
    So, Lasers do not have an advantage over iron sights regarding positive target acquisition in a self-defense scenario ?

Correct?

So, Lasers do not have an advantage over iron sights regarding positive target acquisition in a self-defense scenario ?

Correct?
    Generally speaking, no, but there may be specific situations where they could be advantageous, although other alternatives may be available also.

Senior Moderator
    You people that dont have applications for lasers are all wrong...

They serve wonderfully to excercise both the cat and the dog.

Keep moving it in a circle and then shine it in front of the cat where it can see it. Watching it try to catch it while walking like a drunk and falling all over the place is hilarious.

For real entertainment when you are bored, get the dog worked up with it and then walk the laser over to the sleeping cat. Turn it off when it reaches the cat, the dog will think that it is under that cat.

Stand back and let the games begin...
    GlockJS likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

los
    HotGuns, I worry about you..!

I do it with my watch crystal out in the sunlight.

The last thing I'm interested in during a self defense situation is playing a game of follow the dancing dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    The last thing I'm interested in during a self defense situation is playing a game of follow the dancing dot.
    - If the dot is bouncing and dancing all over the place, it's not laser doing it by itself.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar

Correct?
    Nice try.

I've got a suggestion for you. Don't like lasers? Don't buy one. Then have a coke and a smile...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links