Lasers: the good and the not so good - Page 4

Lasers: the good and the not so good

This is a discussion on Lasers: the good and the not so good within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba Nice try. I've got a suggestion for you. Don't like lasers? Don't buy one. Then have a coke and a smile... ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Lasers: the good and the not so good

los
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Nice try.

I've got a suggestion for you. Don't like lasers? Don't buy one. Then have a coke and a smile...
    Heck, my CCW doesn't even have iron sights..!!

They're pretty useless too, in a self-defense fire fight.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

RKM
    I have the CT trigger guard on my Kel-Tec. I'm 70% satisfied. The laser will dim at times when shooting, but then come back on to normal.

I also have a TLR-2 on my USP, just because.

I think they're great for point shooting if you can't get a good sight picture, which is why I have it. The sights on the Kel-Tec are basically useless on the range let alone a self defense situation. It's an up close and personal point and shoot gun. The laser just aids that. If the laser fails, who cares. It's only and aid, not an automatic bullet guidance system. You still need to do your part.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post

So as a member of the spray and pray school of shooting this whole laser thing must come across as some sort of voodoo to you.

You a naughty boy, los.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You people that dont have applications for lasers are all wrong...

They serve wonderfully to excercise both the cat and the dog.

Keep moving it in a circle and then shine it in front of the cat where it can see it. Watching it try to catch it while walking like a drunk and falling all over the place is hilarious.

For real entertainment when you are bored, get the dog worked up with it and then walk the laser over to the sleeping cat. Turn it off when it reaches the cat, the dog will think that it is under that cat.

Stand back and let the games begin...
    Now thats just funny right there!

I don't have any lasers and don't see myself getting one any time soon.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Laser's are manufactured, produced and advertised as an accessory to aid in target acquisition. Once adjusted and "zeroed-in", when the trigger is pulled, the bullet should hit where the cute little red dot is illuminating. This is the Laser's primary advantage. Dot acquired,Target acquired.

How would you or anyone explain to a Judge and Jury that you fired your weapon while the laser was pointed at an innocent bystander..?
    Because gunfights don't happen in a static world. Nobody stays immobile. Not the good guys, not the bad guys and not the innocent bystanders. Sometimes, actually frequently, all the parties simply move into somebody else's bullet path. Remember, bullet's don't move at the speed of light, although we'd wish they did, sometimes. Bad guys are very unrestrained in this situation. They don't care if they hit the innocent. We have to. That's why I'd be very reluctant to return fire in a very crowded venue. Like a crowded mall. Although I mostly carry when I accompany my wife on a shopping trip, I also always layer my defense tiers. Firearm, flashlight, knife and usually a stun device, for the audible deterrence. If somebody opens up my first instinct is to get myself and my wife to a position of cover and assess the threat. My next instinct is to get my wife the heck out of there, since there is nothing more important to me in this world. If I cannot safely move her and we seem to be in a good position of cover I start looking at my options. The more layers of defense I have the more options. Hopefully the cavalry will arrive and I won't have to take action, but if I do, I absolutely refuse to put anybody else's life at risk, even at the risk of my own life. I'm no cowboy or a mall ninja. I have been extensively trained and I do practice quite a bit. But nothing in life is ever 100% certain except eventual natural death. For me, the laser is a good way to insure I'm not targeting somebody I ought not kill. The nice thing is that use of the laser isn't necessarily a mandate. Always there are options...
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You people that dont have applications for lasers are all wrong...

They serve wonderfully to excercise both the cat and the dog.

Keep moving it in a circle and then shine it in front of the cat where it can see it. Watching it try to catch it while walking like a drunk and falling all over the place is hilarious.

For real entertainment when you are bored, get the dog worked up with it and then walk the laser over to the sleeping cat. Turn it off when it reaches the cat, the dog will think that it is under that cat.

Stand back and let the games begin...
    Yup, our cat loves that laser pointer -- not the sight. The hundred pound aging pups have just ZERO interest in either it or the cat. Totally bored when it comes to that stuff. But the cat will always fall for the dot. Even comes up and asks me to play "DOT." The fun thing is to try and get the cat to sprint across the living room after the dot and include the sleeping form of a dog in that sprint. Usually the dogs never even stop snoring.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

So as a member of the spray and pray school of shooting this whole laser thing must come across as some sort of voodoo to you.
    It's a close range self defense thing. I can't carry a decent stick so I'm stuck with more socially acceptable (hidden) weapons.

bruce-lee.jpg

http://wn.com/Hapkido__Range_of_the_Bo_Staff

los
    Negatory, good buddy.

My sightless CCW holds 6 rounds, including the one in the chamber. I've always practiced point-shooting. I don't rely on a hi-cap piece, sights... or luck. Never have, Never will.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    You a naughty boy, los.
    Don't believe anything you hear,..and only half of what you see.!

For your consideration:

Why lasers are good-

Cornered Cat - The Case for Lasers

How to properly practice with lasers-

Cornered Cat - Practicing with a Laser
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Gee, this one has turned out to be almost as much fun as if I had come out and asked "which is better, 9mm or 45. ...

Administrator
    And I havent even jumped it yet.

IMO, the money spent on gadgetry is much better spent on ammo. I always get a chuckle from the laser equipped.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And I havent even jumped it yet.

IMO, the money spent on gadgetry is much better spent on ammo. I always get a chuckle from the laser equipped.
    While one needs to keep up on ammo, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to spend a little money augmenting your carry gun to make it easier to shoot accurately. If you HAVE to choose between them because of your budget, then I agree though.

You can get CT lasers from Shooters Resource for a very good price. Cost is not a reason to not have them. Of course, those who do not like them will always find a reason not to like them.

Chuckle away...I'm going to make some popcorn.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links