Ordered an S&W 638 today

Ordered an S&W 638 today

This is a discussion on Ordered an S&W 638 today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the last month I've driven probably 1000 miles to check out diferent guns for my new carry (where I live is not the end ...

Thread: Ordered an S&W 638 today

Ordered an S&W 638 today

Over the last month I've driven probably 1000 miles to check out diferent guns for my new carry (where I live is not the end of the world but you can see it from here). Initially I was pretty sure I was going to order a Ruger LCR. A couple of guys I know had me driving around checking out different recommendations of theirs and in the last month I've looked at an LC9, the LCR, an M&P compact, a Kahr CW, and a few others. All very nice guns. Today I picked up a Smith Airweight 638 and it is exactly what i've been looking for. Fit my hand perfectly and the trigger was better than I had anticipated. The main selling point though was how easily it dissapeared into my coat pocket. I ride a motorcycle most of the time and my main mode of carry is the inside jacket pocket. I presently carry a PPK which is a pretty small(ish) gun but compared to the Smith it's like carrying a brick. Now I gotta "hurry up and wait" for it to arrive.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Good choice, you can't go wrong with a J-Frame.

Now you'll have a .38 that's fairly easy to tuck into a pocket...nice choice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is an awesome choice for a pocket pistol. I frequently have one of those in my pocket.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I was really amazed at how well it just dissapeared in my pocket. I wanted a revolver for reliability but had incorrectly assumed that an auto would conceal better. I have a PPK that fits into that same pocket but it always lets me know it's there. The Smith just vanished. I couldn't tell I even had it on me. The little LC9 and the Kahr CW9 were distant contenders but it's hard to beat the reliability of a wheel gun.

cmb
    good choice: love to snub!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Now you are going to have to decide what to feed it. So many choices, so little time and money!
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I love my 638. If you drive a car on a trip instead of your bike it makes a great go to gun in an ankle rig.

Great choice! The 638 was my first, and still most-carried, gun. Though I didn't consider it at first, I bought it on the recommendation of the owner of the GS and have not been disappointed. This GS also has a great gunsmith who tuned the action a bit (something you may want to consider) and the addition of CT LG-405 grips makes it a great carry piece. Enjoy!

The 638 is kind of the forgotten j-frame, probably because some people think it is ugly. But usually the debate on what j-frame to get settles around a traditional hammer, or hammerless model, with people forgetting their is an intermediate option, the 638. The 638 is my preferred snub nosed revolver, as it can meet any needs I may have form a j-frame. Congrats on making a good decision.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

GREAT choice!!!!! The airweight j frame variants are the most versatile carry pieces you can get. You'll absolutely love it.

I've had my 442 for several years and I wouldn't part with it for anything. In summer, it goes easily into pants pockets, shorts pickets, easily concealed IWB or OWB, SOB, ankle. In winter, I carry it in my jacket pocket. Rather than dig under layers of winter clothes to get to my CCW, I carry it in my jacket pocket and you can slip your hand in on it if things look a little iffy. You can even fire from within the pocket if you have to. I also carry it as a secondary access weapon in tandem with another handgun often too. I did a Wolff spring set replacement on mine and smoothed out the trigger nicely. Within a couple hundred rounds through it, I became pretty proficient with it.

I've probably got 1200 rounds through mine and it's awesome. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I forgot to mention, I also have a 1960 S&W 49. It's the all steel version of the shrouded hammer. I love that gun too!!!! I think the old camel hump is the perfect configuration and it is so ugly it's cool!!!

Here's my 442 with old Chief's Special grips on it...they fit my hand much better, and my old 49. I love the Smith j frames!!!
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sponsored Links