What do you think of Texas Defenders and the likes?

This is a discussion on What do you think of Texas Defenders and the likes? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 and most of the time it's ok but they are times I'd like something smaller and lighter, especially while running. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What do you think of Texas Defenders and the likes?

What do you think of Texas Defenders and the likes?

I carry a Kel-Tec P-11 and most of the time it's ok but they are times I'd like something smaller and lighter, especially while running. I was looking at a 2-shot .357 magnum Texas Defender. What do you guys think of them?

2. Remove Ads

Based on the info on thier site, it isn't lighter or much smaller than what you already have, much less some of the other offerings for small SD pistols or revolvers.

I can't imagine that it would be much fun to shoot. However I haven't ever shot one so I am simply speculating.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Ouch!!!

VIP Member
    OUCH... pick it up... OUCH... pick it up... go to the ER
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

extremely well made, but at 20 oz, I'll go with something with a few more rounds. They are baby bricks.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My .38 special 2 shot derringer is not noticeably smaller, and I believe is heavier than my S&W j-frame.

Derringers are novelties for the range, there are much better SD options.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

We have a system of running trails here in Tulsa and where I live is safe but a block east isn't nor going a block north. I'd like to carry something while I run, any suggestions?

A j frame Airweight would be a much better choice, And I can shoot it better than the P11 I used to have.
    Last edited by Skeeter64; August 3rd, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

GM
    Expensive, only two shots, not funny to shoot; IMO there are better self-defense firearms. But they are very cool looking firearms
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Oufan08 View Post
    We have a system of running trails here in Tulsa and where I live is safe but a block east isn't nor going a block north. I'd like to carry something while I run, any suggestions?
    Kel Tec P-32, Kel Tec P38T, Ultra Light J Frame.

Or may I suggest a Doberman, German Shepherd or something of the like. If you are going to be running anyways, it would be a good way for your pup and you to get exercise and spend time together. Nothing makes hood rats disperse like a big German police dog breed.
    640girl, Kilowatt3 and varob like this.

How about a smartcarry/thunder wear with a LCR or something similar in it?

And + 1 to the above post. A good dog is a nice deterrent. I have a Doberman, AKA Velcro dog, and he is intimidating while being a best friend. My mother has a wolf she walks with and people actually cross over to the opposite side of the street.

cmb
    I agree totally with "better options with more rounds and less weight", having a derringer in a boot or back pocket as a third gun or secondary with shotshell loads for snakes or something maybe, but as a primary in today's world there are too many better options. Also I think most of those must be cocked then the trigger pulled, most are not DA... now 100 years ago a derringer would be at the top of the list, break top SW hammerless, Colt 1903/1908, those were the cc of the day! God back another 50 and it would be the derringer...

i hae a little 4 barrel 4 shot 22, about the size of a derringer... but I don't carry it, neat novelty gun but not practical

I like the bond arms concept b/c you can get different barrels but I won't buy one until I get a lot of others on my list...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Quote Originally Posted by Oufan08 View Post
    1. Stop running, unless something or someone is chasing you. It's bad for your heart and your knees and feet. 2. P3AT, LCR, LCP, Airweight J-frame, Mustang Pocketlite, Sig P238, PM-9, etc.--there are lots of good, light choices. 3. I carried a .357 American Derringer for a short period about 26 years ago. Heavy, hard to hit anything with, painful to shoot. It was about the same size and weight as the Bond Derringers, though not quite as well made.

VIP Member
    What about a shirt with a gun buster sign on it? J/K

I'd stick with a semi like your KelTec of a Kahr.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks everyone, we already have two dogs and can't get anymore. I run every night so I'll look into some of the other guns mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links