Ruger SR-9 vs Ruger SR-40

This is a discussion on Ruger SR-9 vs Ruger SR-40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My roommate is looking at purchasing his first handgun. His budget is in the $400-$450 range. We went to the local shop so he could ...

Thread: Ruger SR-9 vs Ruger SR-40

Ruger SR-9 vs Ruger SR-40

My roommate is looking at purchasing his first handgun. His budget is in the $400-$450 range. We went to the local shop so he could put his hands on a few guns, and he really took a liking to the Ruger SR pistols.

Anyone have experience with both the SR-40 and SR-9 full sizes? Any preferences towards one vs the other? Personally, I don't care and would opt for whichever caliber that I felt more comfortable with. He doesn't have a ton of handgun experience, but probably wouldn't have trouble managing a .40 vs a 9mm. I'm just looking for some opinions from people who have experience with both of these guns.

2. Remove Ads

9mm is cheaper to shoot, so more practice for your friend. It is all personal preference, if he wants a 9mm get the 9, if he wants the .40 get the .40. Whatever he is comfortable with.

I own an SR9c. Have shot an SR9, and only fondled the SR40 and SR40c in local gun shops. They all feel pretty much exactly the same to their counterparts; SR9 to SR40, SR9c to SR40c.

This may really come down to ammo costs. If money is less of an object it pick whichever. If your friend needs less expensive ammo, 9mm by far.

The price of 9mm is one of the reasons I have made 9mm my main carry caliber and what I shoot most often. I can afford to shoot much higher volumes of 9mm and get so much more practice on my 2 9mm pistols, LC9 and SR9c.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Lightbulb very similar

There is not much difference between the two pistols, other than the caliber. I own a SR9c (forget about this one for the purposes of this discussion) and a SR40, and I have a buddy that has a SR9. The dimensions of the two pistols are identical. The SR40 is 3/4 oz. heavier than the SR9. As others have stated, 9mm ammo is generally cheaper. There is a reported snappier recoil with 40S&W round versus the 9mm round, though I don't feel much of a difference when firing either pistol. I have about 2000 rounds and 1000 rounds downrange with my SR9c and SR40, respectively, with no problems...they just work. My friend's SR9 is newer, he has about 200 rounds downrange with his SR9, with no problems.

Your friend should try both of them and then decide. I think that it gets down to personal preference.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

cmb
    I think either caliber would suit him but if budget is an issue i would look at SR9c as you get or can get the full size mag with it... then if CC ever become an issue he will have a "compact" for carry, I have also read the Sr9c has a better trigger, other who have experience may be able to verify that...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like it is down to caliber choice, alone, then. I'll let him figure that out for himself.

.40 is a much snappier round (more muzzle flip) and I find for a beginning shooter that the 9mm is more controllable. Best thing he could do is go out and shoot both calibers side by side (preferrably the EXACT guns, but a Glock would suffice and are usually available for rental at gun ranges) and let him decide. And as others have pointed out, a box of 50 9mm shells is $10 at wal mart compared to $17-$20 for .40 cal.

Like I said, thanks for all the info. I have pretty extensive use with both the .40 and the 9mm. Personally, I carry a .40. I'm not so much interested in the difference between a .40 and a 9mm round. I can sit around and read the caliber wars threads all day, haha. I'm really just curious as to how the SR-9 performs with it's 9mm round and how the SR-40 performs with it's .40 cal round.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I'm really just curious as to how the SR-9 performs with it's 9mm round and how the SR-40 performs with it's .40 cal round.
    They are equal guns! They perform the same but for caliber. Even most parts are the same! The only difference is how the round feels (9 v 40)

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Links