Taurus 851 Protector

This is a discussion on Taurus 851 Protector within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Supporting a wife and child on one income can be difficult so I limit my expense on a firearm. The Taurus 851 Protector with a ...

Thread: Taurus 851 Protector

Taurus 851 Protector

Supporting a wife and child on one income can be difficult so I limit my expense on a firearm. The Taurus 851 Protector with a shrouded hammer seems to be exactly what i'm looking for. Why?

Price - $286 before taxes and free shipping.
    Weight - 25 oz. Helps tame and recoil out of +p ammo and helps with follow up shots
    DA/SA - If I needed it in a pocket I could but still have the option of a SA pull with the shrouded hammer.

The biggest concern is the Internal lock on this firearm. Buds also has a S&W 642 No-Lock for $80 more dollars. The concern is price and it weighs 10 ounces less than the 851. Is there another alternative in my price point? I've tried to find a used SP101. Believe me.

2. Remove Ads

That's funny. I was actually pricing these for the last few weeks as well. I would say go for it. I have a few Taurus revolvers and have never had any issue with them. Shame you can't spring for the SP101 though. I actually just picked up my second one today.

If you are looking on Buds, check out the Charter Arms “On Duty”, between the Taurus and Smith in price.
    I have one, and it has been great, many hundreds of +P rounds with no problems.

I do have a Taurus revolver, but it is a replacement for one that cracked the frame at 75 rounds and took 9 weeks to get replaced.
    The best bet would be the Smith and Wesson, but I would take the Charter over the Taurus.

Charter Arms "On Duty" and Taurus Poly Public Defender"

Shooting004sml-1.jpg

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have owned a taurus 85SS for 24 to 26 years. carried it for 22 years. Great revolver. I put a wolf hammer spring in it many years ago. Still looks very good and has a DA trigger unlike any other I have ever pulled, very smooth and breaks at 4 .4 lbs DA. SA is 2.5 lbs. I would try to find an older model, atleast 3 to 4 years old. Mine have atleast 4000 rounds fire maybe twice that. But you do need to shoot any firearm enought to besure it is dependable, 400 to 600 rounds. Today a brand new custom shop handgun or high dollar 1911 can be junk out of the bow. You might want to add KT to your wish list. You can pick up a pf-9 or p-11 for around 240 new also.

I carry a Model 85CHSS and a Model 605. Very pleased with both of them. Reliable and accurate.
    USN Retired

Links