Glock G27 for CCW

Glock G27 for CCW

This is a discussion on Glock G27 for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering getting a G27 for CCW. I've fired this gun before and love it. We're talking 1-1/4" groups @ 25'. The only hesitation I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock G27 for CCW

Glock G27 for CCW

I'm considering getting a G27 for CCW. I've fired this gun before and love it. We're talking 1-1/4" groups @ 25'. The only hesitation I have is the lack of a de-cocker. My Astra, which is the first pistol I owned, is SA/DA, and I've gotten very used to the heavy trigger pull on that first shot. My concern is, in a situation that I hope & pray that I'll never be in, having the lighter trigger pull might be an issue.

I know that some folks here carry this very weapon, and I'd like to get all of your thoughts on this. If I do get it, is there an easy way to make the trigger pull a bit heavier (I'm not a gunsmith)? Any other recommended tweaks?

Thanks for any feedback.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Yes,glock offers a 8# (this will have a + on the side,not the -) disconnect for @15.00,this will actually put the pull at about 6.5 lbs.the great thing is you can carrie a full size mag for back-up.

VIP Member
    You can change to a "+" connector or you can add a NY1 or (if you want a real workout) a NY2 trigger spring or even a combination of the two (connector & spring). Personally, I prefer the standard connector and a NY1 trigger spring.

The parts are cheap and easily installed. Experiment until you find what you like.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I carry one with a modded trigger at around 3.5 lbs. the glock is safe as long as you keep your damned finger off the trigger until you are going to actually pull it. In my IWB rig it almost disappears, I usually carry full sized glocks but on the very hot days when I wear tshirts and shorts the g27 is what I carry.

Sponsor
    I have two Glocks, the 26 and 22. My 22 has a stock trigger and comes in at 6.5lbs, the 26 is roughly 6.75lbs. All I did was polish the bearing surfaces and left the stock springs. Like the other gentlemen said a heavier spring will do the trick.

IMAG002625.jpg
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

I shot SA/DA all my life before I owned a Glock and have no problem with the Glock triggers......I have 3.5# connectors on all of mine and they're not going off unless you pull the trigger.......even 3.5# is not that light.....you have to consciously pull the trigger. My Glock 26(same size as g27) is a joy to carry. If I'm not carrying Sig p239 or p229, I'm probably carrying g26! Conceals real well with shorts and T Shirt!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

VIP Member
    As you see, there are plenty of options. In regards to missing a decocker, think of the Glock as a really sweet DAO. The striker doesn't come all the way back until you start pressing the trigger, and as you likely have already discovered, it's easy to stage. I find that the stock trigger pull is just right for an EDC.

As far as the G27 in particular, there are many Glock experts who swear by them (I'm just too far down the road to add .40 cal to my ammo requirements ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Yes,glock offers a 8# (this will have a + on the side,not the -) disconnect for @15.00,this will actually put the pull at about 6.5 lbs.the great thing is you can carrie a full size mag for back-up.
    The "+" connector is supposed to make the trigger pull 8#. It is actually closer to 9.5 or 10#. It provides a fast pull and then it gets kind of heavy right before it breaks. The NY1 trigger is about the same weight of pull, but it provides an even pull weight until it breaks.

Everyone has a different opinion. Each of the set ups have a following. I like it stock.

BTW...the 27 is an excellent CCW. It used to be my primary off-duty. Now it has to share some time with the 36 and 19.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Thanks for all of the replies! Looks like I will be getting myself one before too long (as soon as I save enough).

Now I just have to figure out how to get it past the wife...
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Practice and familiarity with the GLOCK trigger will ease your mind.

I prefer the GLOCK 19 myself, but the GLOCK 27 is a fine pistol for CC.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    As you see, there are plenty of options. In regards to missing a decocker, think of the Glock as a really sweet DAO. The striker doesn't come all the way back until you start pressing the trigger, and as you likely have already discovered, it's easy to stage. I find that the stock trigger pull is just right for an EDC.

As far as the G27 in particular, there are many Glock experts who swear by them (I'm just too far down the road to add .40 cal to my ammo requirements ;-).
    Spot on correct, 100%!! I used to have a Glock 27 and carried exclusively for a very long while, but it was my only 40 and I couldn't justify the additional ammo expense, especially in terms of SHTF stuff, so I sold it. I love the brand so much, though that I recently purchased a Glock M30 Short Frame and it has pretty much become my EDC whenever I'm not carrying my Sig C3 1911. I especially love 10rd of 45 on tap and that 13 round M21 mag as a spare. The one objection I had to the M27 was that typical "shorty forty" barrel whip tended to induce severe flinch when shooting at static targets instead of IDPA competition. I never noticed it at the IDPA matches, probably because of the fact that problem solving and movement override everything else. It's also a SUNDANCE KID thing. "Can I move? I'm BETTER when I move." If you remember the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, you'll get this. When you're just punching holes in targets on a range the recoil whip has more of your focus and thus becomes more of an issue. At least for me. I much prefer the gentle push of both the 9mm and the 45. As a guy who cut his ccw teeth on carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, I think the DA trigger pull on the standard Glock to be just perfect.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 4th, 2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: format
    joker1 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Spot on correct, 100%!! I used to have a Glock 27 and carried exclusively for a very long while, but it was my only 40 and I couldn't justify the additional ammo expense, especially in terms of SHTF stuff, so I sold it. I love the brand so much, though that I recently purchased a Glock M30 Short Frame and it has pretty much become my EDC whenever I'm not carrying my Sig C3 1911. I especially love 10rd of 45 on tap and that 13 round M21 mag as a spare. The one objection I had to the M27 was that typical "shorty forty" barrel whip tended to induce severe flinch when shooting at static targets instead of IDPA competition. I never noticed it at the IDPA matches, probably because of the fact that problem solving and movement override everything else. It's also a SUNDANCE KID thing. "Can I move? I'm BETTER when I move." If you remember the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, you'll get this. When you're just punching holes in targets on a range the recoil whip has more of your focus and thus becomes more of an issue. At least for me. I much prefer the gentle push of both the 9mm and the 45. As a guy who cut his ccw teeth on carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, I think the DA trigger pull on the standard Glock to be just perfect.
    I agree with you on the .40.......

Get a G26 and call it a day.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I carry my G27 the majority of the time, for all the reason stated above and in other threads. I used to worry about no "obvious" external safety or decocker, but the more familiar that I became with Glocks, the less of a worry or consideration it became. Get the G27, there won't be any surprises about carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies! Looks like I will be getting myself one before too long (as soon as I save enough).

Now I just have to figure out how to get it past the wife...
    What mama doesn't know won't hurt her. My wife quit trying to keep track many moons ago.

I agree with what others say about the NY1 and the stock spring. Makes the trigger feel like a DA revolver trigger.

When I first started carrying I didn't consider a Glock because it didn't have a external thumb safety. Now part of the reason I carry a Glock is because of the last of a external thumb safety. I also just ordered a 3.5lb ghost connecter with a 6 pound spring for my daily carry G19.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links