American Classic 1911 Commander (initial 300 rounds and doing great)

This is a discussion on American Classic 1911 Commander (initial 300 rounds and doing great) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Put another hundred rounds through her today, that makes 300 since new. Got 1 stovepipe out of 100 rounds. 90 ball, 10 hollow point. Over ...

Thread: American Classic 1911 Commander (initial 300 rounds and doing great)

American Classic 1911 Commander (initial 300 rounds and doing great)

Put another hundred rounds through her today, that makes 300 since new. Got 1 stovepipe out of 100 rounds. 90 ball, 10 hollow point. Over the initial 300 rounds I have had one failure to feed and 3 stovepipes. Better than some Kimbers I know of and at $500 out the door I feel like it was a good deal. Gun is accurate and has an incredible trigger, breaks like glass and right at 4.7lbs (I tweaked it slightly). Very good for a "factory" trigger. Only "work" I did was polish the feed ramp a little further down than it came with, polish the breach face, and a little trigger bow polishing and sanding. She runs good and double and triple taps are a blast.

So for those looking for a good entry level or budget 1911 please do not be scared of this gun because of the price tag.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats. I've also found that with minor attention and buffing, most of these budget (American Classic, RIA, Citadel, ATI) 1911's are worthy pistols.

They are a little better than entry level. They are mid level with an entry level price. If you do some work like match grade barrel and bushing, some springs, and new trigger ( not saying the stock trigger is bad ) and so on. You can have a match grade gun for around $800.00. Not bad, not bad at all.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You can have a match grade gun for around $800.00. Not bad, not bad at all.
    I am glad you brought that up. Is this really a worthwhile upgrade in your opinion for a carry gun? I mean, out to 7yds (don't see me shooting much past that in SD) it is really accurate already. I know I could probably get a lighter and better trigger, but again, what function does a super light match trigger have in the real world? The springs I have ordered, but honestly, as good as this gun runs I hesitate to muck with it too much. Thoughts?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I am glad you brought that up. Is this really a worthwhile upgrade in your opinion for a carry gun? I mean, out to 7yds (don't see me shooting much past that in SD) it is really accurate already. I know I could probably get a lighter and better trigger, but again, what function does a super light match trigger have in the real world? The springs I have ordered, but honestly, as good as this gun runs I hesitate to muck with it too much. Thoughts?
    My ATI FX Titan isn't a race gun. It's not even a competition gun. It's a short-barreled, I'm-on-the-motorcycle-and-dang-glad-I-have-something-that-makes-big-holes gun.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My ATI FX Titan isn't a race gun. It's not even a competition gun. It's a short-barreled, I'm-on-the-motorcycle-and-dang-glad-I-have-something-that-makes-big-holes gun.
    Do you like the Titan? I was thinking about trading my AC in on one but I really like the AC and the Titan (being shorter barreled) had me a little concerned about feed problems.

VIP Member
    Do you like the Titan? I was thinking about trading my AC in on one but I really like the AC and the Titan (being shorter barreled) had me a little concerned about feed problems.
    I do, but I wouldn't trade in your AC that's already proven itself for it. Mine took some break-in, which meant many many more rounds down the tube before I trusted it. It's not that much shorter than your commander, and there's nothing like a gun that's already gained your trust.

I do, but I wouldn't trade in your AC that's already proven itself for it. Mine took some break-in, which meant many many more rounds down the tube before I trusted it. It's not that much shorter than your commander, and there's nothing like a gun that's already gained your trust.
    Thanks! Yea, I didn't really think the barrel was that much shorter anyways. Thanks for saving me from doing something dumb.

Put another hundred rounds through her today, that makes 300 since new. Got 1 stovepipe out of 100 rounds. 90 ball, 10 hollow point. Over the initial 300 rounds I have had one failure to feed and 3 stovepipes. Better than some Kimbers I know of and at $500 out the door I feel like it was a good deal. Gun is accurate and has an incredible trigger, breaks like glass and right at 4.7lbs (I tweaked it slightly). Very good for a "factory" trigger. Only "work" I did was polish the feed ramp a little further down than it came with, polish the breach face, and a little trigger bow polishing and sanding. She runs good and double and triple taps are a blast.

So for those looking for a good entry level or budget 1911 please do not be scared of this gun because of the price tag.
    Sounds like a fun range gun but a failure rate of 4 in 300 wouldn't make it a reliable SD gun...just my opinion.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Sounds like a fun range gun but a failure rate of 4 in 300 wouldn't make it a reliable SD gun...just my opinion.
    Yea, good point. But it is all I have and my only carry gun. Good news for me is that my +P defensive ammo has never had a problem with this, only WWB ball ammo. Both 230gr.

I bought an AC Commander and here are some things that I went through while breaking in mine. Hopefully they'll help you, as well.

The first thing I would do is replace the the recoil spring. I experienced several failure to feed problems and installing a Wolff recoil spring helped. The stock spring was shorter and noticably weaker than the Wolff product. If you're comfortable doing so, I would suggest buying a service pack from Wolff and replace all of the springs. It may not be neccessary, but at least you'll know that you have quality springs in your pistol.

As for the stovepiping, I would recommend checking the extractor tension. Here's a link describing how to do it: Extractor Tuning Tips

I would also suggest ditching the ACT mag that came with it and invest in some high-end magazines such as Tripp, Wilson or Chip McCormack, especially if this is to be your primary SD pistol. They're expensive, but not so much when your life is depending on them.

Good point .....

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk117 View Post
    I bought an AC Commander and here are some things that I went through while breaking in mine. Hopefully they'll help you, as well.

The first thing I would do is replace the the recoil spring. I experienced several failure to feed problems and installing a Wolff recoil spring helped. The stock spring was shorter and noticably weaker than the Wolff product. If you're comfortable doing so, I would suggest buying a service pack from Wolff and replace all of the springs. It may not be neccessary, but at least you'll know that you have quality springs in your pistol.

As for the stovepiping, I would recommend checking the extractor tension. Here's a link describing how to do it: Extractor Tuning Tips

I would also suggest ditching the ACT mag that came with it and invest in some high-end magazines such as Tripp, Wilson or Chip McCormack, especially if this is to be your primary SD pistol. They're expensive, but not so much when your life is depending on them.
    Thanks. Yea, I ordered the wilson spring kit. I do use Wilson Combat mags. Funny enough, the stovepipes happen with that mag and not the ACT mag. I did mess with the extractor some and have only had one issue since "tuning" it, but I think it might still be slightly off so thank you for the tip. I will change springs and extractor tension and see what that does. Thanks for the tips!

VIP Member
    FWIW, my Titan will occasionally nose-dive on feeding from a Wilson 47D. The ACT-MAG that it came with, feeds consistently at the proper angle for the feed ramp.

Added a set of Wilson Combat springs to my Commander yesterday. Main housing spring, firing pin spring, recoil spring (20#), and added a shok buffer. I haven't shot it yet, but the 20# spring is noticeable. It has also cured the common issue on these guns of not feeding the first round on the factory mag (ACT). With the stock spring and 8 rounds in the mag it wouldn't feed, now it does. Slams that baby home. Hopefully this will help cure the occasional stovepipe I have from time to time. I plan on throwing 100 rounds through it tomorrow, I will let you know.

Links