Glock Model 39 or Model 30SF??

This is a discussion on Glock Model 39 or Model 30SF?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to everyone, I'm new to Defensive Carry.com and would like some advice. Sorry if this particular topic has already been answered but here goes. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock Model 39 or Model 30SF??

Hello to everyone,

I'm new to Defensive Carry.com and would like some advice. Sorry if this particular topic has already been answered but here goes. I'm a recently retired police officer from the Detroit area. I just turned in my Model 22 back to the department and I'm now looking for a new gun for ccw as well as home defense. I am a big time .45 fan and would have carried one on duty if the department permitted it.

I have decided to stick with Glock since I have almost 25 years of training and muscle memory on the weapon in both the 9mm as well as the .40 caliber. I have narrowed it down to either the Model 39 or the Model 30SF. For those that have shot and carried both or either, please chime in. Is the 30SF too bulky to carry comfortably? I like the high capacity, but don't want to leave it at home because of its bulk.

The Model 39 seems like the right size, but I'm not sure about the 6 round mag.

Thanks in advance,

chesterhound

If anyone has side by side pics, can you please post?

I carry a 30sf much of the time and did a lot of research on it before I decided to go with it. I Carry it at the 5:00 position in a Crossbreed Super Tuck. Sure its heavier and thicker but for the same money I wanted more round capacity and the ability to use larger mags if I desired. I can say 70% or more of the people I ran into told me the G30 was too thick and too Heavy. I disagree, Its just right. Once I have the holster on and the weapon in place I wear it all day! Not only comfortable, but comforting as well.

G30 There is nothing like knowing what you hit most likely won't be hitting ya back.
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; August 6th, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
    RMS likes this.

VIP Member
    First, welcome from Lansing!

Second, you may have had a typo. The G36 is the 6+1 .45acp, not the G39.

Third, tough question. It boils down to you. If you honestly don't feel you will carry the G30, you could do much worse than picking the G36.

In single stack. 45's you are always going to be behind in capacity compared with 9mm and 40 S&W. You have to decide for yourself what is most important, that particular caliber, capacity, or comfort. Once you know that, you can make a good decision

Personally, I love my G36. However, in roughly the same size platform you can get the G19 or G23 with significantly higher capacities.

Good luck with you decision.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I carry a 30sf much of the time and did a lot of research on it before I decided to go with it. I Carry it at the 5:00 position in a Crossbreed Super Tuck. Sure its heavier and thicker but for the same money I wanted more round capacity and the ability to use larger mags if I desired. I can say 70% or more of the people I ran into told me the G30 was too thick and too Heavy. I disagree, Its just right. Once I have the holster on and the weapon in place I wear it all day! Not only comfortable, but comforting as well.

G30 There is nothing like know what you hit most likely won't be hitting ya back.
    Can't add much to that, and I agree completely.

I carry a G30(sf) daily in a Bianchi IWB and find it very comfortable. But you might be with the 70% ConcealedG30 mentions and find it to be "too thick and too heavy" yourself and prefer the G36.

The G36 is 1.13" thick, while the G30 is 1.27". Not a huge difference (at least from my POV).

There's no right or wrong answer, of course: just whatever you're confident and comfortable with.

Let us know what you decide upon.

Welcome to the forum!

Can't go wrong with a G30.

When looking for a new .45 Cal. I considered both the G30SF and G36.I'm a lawman in the Chicago suburbs and decided to go with the increased capacity of the G30SF. I carry my G30SF in a IWB strong side at the 4 o'clock position.
    Here's a photo of mine and my preferred holster.
    Randy

I bought the G36 because I thought it was significantly more comfortable in my hand and was noticeably thinner compared to the G30.
    It's all personal preference though.

Either one will be just fine, whichever one you like more.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

30sf is bulky but not too bulky for me......about the same as my Sig p229 which carries comfortably, as well. It's all what you're used to! With a good holster, the 30sf can be concealed well and carried comfortably!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I conceal carry both my G30 and my G29SF with no problems. They both feel fine in the waistband to me (of course my G26 feels a little more comfortable in the waistband, but no big deal really). I have though about getting a G36 to see how it feels IWB, but there is always some other firearm I have my eye on and I never get around to buying one.

Thanks for the input. The Model 39 6+1 I referred to wasn't a typo, I was talking about the .45gap caliber. The Model 36 didn't feel as good as the 30SF. Thanks for the pic by the way.

chesterhound

I wouldn't get anything in .45 GAP. So I would say the G30 if between those two.

As far as the size of the G39, it is pretty much the exact same size as the G26/G27/G33 and I really like the way my G26 carries in the waistband (IWB). Can't go wrong size wise. The question that comes into play, is do you want to get into buying another type of .45 caliber ammo? You are more limited by the brands of ammo out there for GAP as compare to ACP, but I think the folks that have .45GAP said, on the different forums, that you can find it almost as cheap as .45ACP on the internet if you look hard enough. GAP is not for me, but that's a decision you'll have to make.

I carry a G30SF every day from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep. I find it easy to conceal and I like the fact I can use G21 mags for reloads. Just use a good belt and holster and you'll be ok. I use a holster from AKJ Concealco AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather. Also dress right. Don't wear anything too tight. I don't know where people get off saying the G30 is too wide to carry. It's not really that much wider than other pistols out there.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like the 30SF is well liked by those who carry it daily. The local gun shop happens to have both the 30 and the 30SF in stock. They would have to special order the 39. Thanks again everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links