Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1 - Page 3

Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1

This is a discussion on Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up my second 642. I sold the first one to a friend and thought I was cool with a Colt Agent and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1

I just picked up my second 642. I sold the first one to a friend and thought I was cool with a Colt Agent and a CA Undercover. But like the others said. You can never have enough snubbies.

Nice. Congrats. I love my LCR, but those little 642's are tempting too. Makes me want to pick one of them up some day.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Love my snubbie. There are so many (mostly young and new gun owners) that are all about semis or glock this, xd that, and what not. They think that they need 15 shots plus a spare mag or two. IMO when will you be taking 30 shots in a personal/home defense scenario? Don't get me wrong, I love my Glocks, 1911s, etc but my Jframe is my go to EDC 80% of the time

RKM
    Looking to pick up my first snubby tomorrow! (hopefully) Looking at either a 638 or 438. Preferably the 438. I like the option of single action. Of course using single action in a self defense situation probably won't happen, but single action at the range will be nice.

I typically carry my G30 with a spare mag, but when I carry my j-frame after I buy it, I'll feel plenty happy with 5 rounds of .38+P

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Looking to pick up my first snubby tomorrow! (hopefully) Looking at either a 638 or 438. Preferably the 438. I like the option of single action. Of course using single action in a self defense situation probably won't happen, but single action at the range will be nice.

I typically carry my G30 with a spare mag, but when I carry my j-frame after I buy it, I'll feel plenty happy with 5 rounds of .38+P

Same here... Before I started carrying my revolvers I mostly carried my Kahrs, or one of my Glocks. Once I picked up my first snubby and carried it for the day, it was all over for the others. Five rounds of .38 special +p is IMO enough to defend yourself in most scenarios, not all, but most. I actually prefer to carry two snubs over any of my other options. Love my 638 and my 637 and a couple of speed loaders.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The 642 is a great little gun. I've been within minutes of buying one more times than I can remember. I do carry my 36 on occasion. So it's not like I don't have a snubby already. But getting a 642 is on my very short list!
    Question Everything!

bug dude, i bought this pistol and only shot it once and wasn't thrilled with the trigger and i couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it at 25 ft. the range i went to won't let you shoot closer than that so i'm looking elsewhere. did you do anything with the sights, i see some people on you tube who are accurate as hell with this gun. i will work on it and get better just looking for some tips? thanks

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    [QUOTE=randypape;2215949]bug dude, i bought this pistol and only shot it once and wasn't thrilled with the trigger and i couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it at 25 ft. the range i went to won't let you shoot closer than that so i'm looking elsewhere. did you do anything with the sights, i see some people on you tube who are accurate as hell with this gun. i will work on it and get better just looking for some tips? thanks[/QUOTE

NO ONE starts out shooting DAO Snubs well. You have to practice by dry firing while sighting in on a target and making sure the sights are not moving off target while you are pulling the trigger. After you can do that you can take it to the Range and try it with ammo. Trigger control and sight alignment. Of coarse grip and breathing control count also.

Wallet, watch, 642 and speed strip. Always there!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

My 642 shoots very well at SD range. I am impressed. I only have to remember I am carrying it when going somewhere it's prohibited. It's "airweight"
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

A good self defense ammo is FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP (P38M)

Federal original would only sell this ammo to law enforcement. Federal has since changed that policy. However it is hard to find. I did find some on the internet but the are presently out of stock.
    PISTOL AMMUNITION - Assorted Carry Ammo - FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP - (P38M) - 20 ROUNDS
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links