Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1

This is a discussion on Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about getting a snubbie for a while. I had basically narrowed it down to either a Ruger LCR or a S&W 642. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1

Bought my first snubbie today - S&W 642-1

I've been thinking about getting a snubbie for a while. I had basically narrowed it down to either a Ruger LCR or a S&W 642. They both feel great in my hand. I like the trigger on the LCR better but I like the overall hand feel on the 642 a little better. I mentioned during the chit-chat, "Man, I really wish that 642 didn't have the internal lock" to which he went to the stock safe and pulled out the only 642 he had with no lock. Out the door it went with me. Looking forward to shooting it at the range tomorrow. I also plan on doing some trigger work on it to smooth it out.

6421.jpg 6422.jpg 6423.jpg
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

Very nice. Can't ever have enough snubbies as far as I am concerned.

Cool

Congrats !

It will serve you well.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

sweet!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

congratulations. As it happens I just ordered my first snubbie a couple of days ago. A model 638. I'm catching a little flak from some of the locals who are quick to point out that mine won't hold 15-17 rounds. However, I am not anticipating a firefight and in any event I feel that a reliable 5 shots in my hand is worth a whole lot more than a great big gun at home in my sock drawer.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Great new acquisition!!!! There is nothing more American than owning a snub nose revolver. I have the 442!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Yeah gryphon, it's for purely practical reasons. My EDC is a Glock 27 but I've been doing some more social things with slacks and casual shirts and what not. Sometimes I'm in a rush to change and don't want to swap out my guj belt and holster and stuff so a pocket snubbie sounded like the perfect solution. BTW, did anyone see the opening scene of Breaking Bad this week where he's buying a gun for self defense and the gun runner is talking to him practically? I thought it was a pretty well written scene.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a snubbie for a while. I had basically narrowed it down to either a Ruger LCR or a S&W 642. They both feel great in my hand. I like the trigger on the LCR better but I like the overall hand feel on the 642 a little better. I mentioned during the chit-chat, "Man, I really wish that 642 didn't have the internal lock" to which he went to the stock safe and pulled out the only 642 he had with no lock. Out the door it went with me. Looking forward to shooting it at the range tomorrow. I also plan on doing some trigger work on it to smooth it out.

6421.jpg 6422.jpg 6423.jpg
    Buy some snap caps (though some say they're not necessary) and dry fire a bunch before you "work" on it. You will be surprised.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Good buy. You won't be disappointed.

I have a 642 also and you will enjoy the small size!!!!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I love my 642. Great shooter and hides well in my front pocket. Happy shooting
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Great choice!!! A Wolff spring set will smooth the trigger out real nice, and it is cheap and easy to do (youtude videos available). I've got the 442 and had to remove the lock. Did the springs while I was in there. Super versatile gun for any occasion. Give yourself a couple hundred rounds to get used to shooting a double action only airweight snub and you'll absolutely love it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The S&W 642 is a great CCW and also very accurate for the size. I usually carry mine during summer months, or when wearing light clothing. It's a go-anywhere snub ...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    as a secondary in my left coat or vest pocket it is with me 9 months of the year.
    more actually, as often a quick local trip will have it alone with me also.

double plus good gun!!
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    congratulations. As it happens I just ordered my first snubbie a couple of days ago. A model 638. I'm catching a little flak from some of the locals who are quick to point out that mine won't hold 15-17 rounds. However, I am not anticipating a firefight and in any event I feel that a reliable 5 shots in my hand is worth a whole lot more than a great big gun at home in my sock drawer.
    You have excellent taste in revolvers! I frequently pocket carry a 638 in a Desantis Nemesis holster. The 158 gr lswc or the hollow point variety seem to be frequently recommended for the 38.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links