Anyone carrying a single-action revolver, for CC?

This is a discussion on Anyone carrying a single-action revolver, for CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my eyes on a bird's head revolver, for some time and was wondering if anyone carrys one for their CCW. The handgun I'm ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Anyone carrying a single-action revolver, for CC?

I've had my eyes on a bird's head revolver, for some time and was wondering if anyone carrys one for their CCW. The handgun I'm talking about is the 1873 Uberti Cattleman Bird's Head in the 3 1/2" barrel.
    Uberti Stallion, Bisley, and Cattleman Bird’s Head

Does anyone carry a western style revolver or simular single-action revolver for their CCW?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
    OD* likes this.
    Beer Nuts: $1.49
    Deer Nuts: Still under a Buck.

I personally would just LOVE to carry a SAA!
    Might be just me?

I have never really been all that concerned with my possible enemy and his possible ability............just with my own performance when it comes to a fight!

A SA revolver will do.......if you will do.
    After all, real life is not Hollywood.

After all, real life is not Hollywood.
    Which is precisely why SA revolvers belong in the past as far as serious defensive tools.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Yep, Ruger New Vaquero.

Gunsite is offering a defensive pistol class specifically for single action revolvers. It looks like some new ideas to compliment an old, but tough design.

There is a time and place for everything, just gotta know the limitations of your skills and tools.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    While I'd love a SAA revolver for the range and plinking with, I can't see it as a primary carry weapon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    That very same model is sitting in the case at my LGS calling to me as I type this.

However, it would be a woods/fun gun for me.

The question you gotta ask yourself is; When it hits the fan, what do you most want to have in your hand that you can conceal everyday? For me, the answer is a medium to high capacity semi-auto with a caliber that usually begins with a '4'.

Maybe someday when I retire in the woods, the SA revolver can be my EDC. But for now, some of the streets that I travel are a little too mean.

Most of the time the criminals flee with one, or no, shot being fired. I would carry a second gun for peace of mind.

I must admit that some of the SAA revolvers would make great OC pieces. Very good looking guns. My Ruger Super Blackhawk that came with the Rosewood grips is one handsome gun.

Do I feel a SA revolver to be ideal for self defense?
    Nope.....of course not.
    But then again, my unarmed mother will be 80 in November, and has never been robbed in her life, and neither has she ever been armed with a firearm!
    She lived through the London blitz in WWII btw. Two houses that she lived in (rented,) were bombed to the ground. - She was in a shelter fortunately, both times.
    A German fighter straffed the street one fine day, on its way back to Germany, and an older guy pulled her teenage frame off the high street and into a store, saving her life.

What does this mean?
    Nothing, except that "what will be will be"!

There are two important factors in a gunfight.
    a) Our own competence and ability, which should be as good as we can get it to be through training.
    b) Our adversary's, - which will always be an 'unknown'.

Then there are a few other issues, such as enemy numbers, weapons, surprise, etc.

Due to the fact that the vast majority of citizens in just about every country in the world, (including the USA,) go about their everyday business unarmed, and generally never get robbed, let alone killed, then one can suppose that a SA revolver is probably a good minimum weapon to be carried for self defense.

But a double action wheelgun would probably be a better 'bottom line' from which to start?

"At least have a gun", say many. - So maybe at least having a SA revolver is a good start!
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    I've concealed carried a Blackhawk on occasion and will again when circumstances dictate.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Which is precisely why SA revolvers belong in the past as far as serious defensive tools.
    Here we go. The voice of dissent. Maybe you are just not proficient enough with one to pack it.

And to answer the question, yes at times I do. I have a sweet US Fire Arms Sheriffs model in 44 spl. Cant think of anyone who would want to be on the wrong end of it.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; August 7th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
    Magnum, gasmitty, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Here we go. The voice of dissent. Maybe you are just not proficient enough with one to pack it.

And to answer the question, yes at times I do. I have a sweet US Fire Arms Sheriffs model in 44 spl. Cant think of anyone who would want to be on the wrong end of it.
    Or maybe I'm just realistic enough to realize that nostalgia isn't a valid criteria for selecting a carry weapon. Glacial split times, reloads measured with a sundial and a manual of arms that becomes more difficult one handed aren't exactly desirable features in a handgun carried for self defense against human attackers.

I'm sure there are many situations where a single action revolver will be good enough. I don't ever intend to be a test case for where that line is and choose to carry more suitable armament. Feel free to make more personal attacks in your next justification, they really strengthen your argument.
    Doodle likes this.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I love them. Would love to have one. But, really have no practical use for one. I mean, I would feel like the most BA person ever if I ever had to draw, and drew a SA .45 Long Colt with a 5 1/2" barrel.
    ----------------
    I have already trained myself to pull the hammer back on my .357mag as I draw. I don't like DA- it takes too much pull and it's too likely to throw your aim off. But, I have to admit, being able to fire DA is a serious plus when you have to draw.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    BS. Only someone lacking skill & knowledge would say that.

Administrator
    Some of the cowboy action guys would tear it up and spank most of us if they competed on a IPSC style course... it just matters where you skill set and interests are.
    Secret Spuk and oneshot like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links