SIG P220 Compact Question

This is a discussion on SIG P220 Compact Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question for the SIG guys (and gals) out there: Would the P220 compact be considered a .45 version of the P239? I had a P239 ...

Thread: SIG P220 Compact Question

SIG P220 Compact Question

Question for the SIG guys (and gals) out there: Would the P220 compact be considered a .45 version of the P239?

I had a P239 in .40, but ultimately traded it for a G23 to get the added capacity of the Glock. I am really liking the .45ACP lately, and the P239 seemed to carry really well for me. So naturally a .45 version of that gun sounds appealing for when I don't want to carry the G23. So if anyone out there has experience with both the P239 and P220 compact, please give me your opinion on how these two compare in size, carry, and shootability.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Guess you could consider it that way, but the P220 compact is noticeably thicker/bulkier/heavier than the P239. Not sure if the stats say so, but the feel is definitely different.

Having typed that, the P220 compact and P245 are gentle very pleasant shooting 45's. IMHO much more pleasant to shoot than the .40S&W P239.

And for some unsolicited commentary, I regret getting a P220 Compact instead of digging around for a P245. Mainly due to QC issues.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Sig P239 and P245

By coincidence I happen to have the P239 and the P245, which is the older version of the P220 compact. They are quite similar in size, as shown in the photo below, with the P245 being slightly larger and heavier. Both are good shooters - reliable and accurate. I was surprised to find out recently that the P245 fits fairly well in my favorite holster for the P239 - a Desantis Speed Scabbard. It is not too tight, and draws easily. So the two guns can't be far apart in thickness or length. They are both DA/SA and have similar feel to me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    From everything I've read, the 220 is a very good gun. That said, don't rule out the Sig 250. I had a Sig 239 in 40 cal, and thought it was a bit heavy for a gun only carrying 8 rounds. I sold it, and bought a Sig 250 compact in 45 acp. It is lighter, holds one more round, and is a fantastic shooter. I love the 250 platform, and I own one in 40, and 9mm as well as the 45.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawboy65 View Post
    Question for the SIG guys (and gals) out there: Would the P220 compact be considered a .45 version of the P239?
    Thanks!
    NO - it is EXACTLY the same as a P220 except the slide/barrel and the grip/magazine are both shortened.

MOST of the parts are interchangeable with a fullsize P220 but some models have a beavertail and some don't.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks every one for all the replies. Your comments are greatly appreciated and very helpful. I am definitely going to scour the gun shows and shops, hoping to fondle a P220 compact and a P245.

Catalina: Your comment about preferring the 245 vs the 220 compact is interesting. Is there a consensus regarding the quality of the new SIGs vs the older ones? What have you experienced?

Thanks

Links