Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

This is a discussion on Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When at home my XD 45C gets the full size mag and the TRL-1 mounted. I also keep a hand-held light. When carrying I have ...

View Poll Results: Who here has a weapon light on their carry/home defense pistol?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carry pistol W/light

15 8.62%
  • Home defense pistol W/light

84 48.28%
  • No light

85 48.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

When at home my XD 45C gets the full size mag and the TRL-1 mounted. I also keep a hand-held light. When carrying I have a holster for light mounted and one for not. If I am carrying daytime usually I go no light. If we are going out in the evening I'll go with light. It's just a tool and doesn't buy you into"giving away your position/muzzle" unless you actuate it. On the other hand if I have a single or pair of BG's in a dark parking lot that light will increase my odds if I use it weather I have to shoot or not. In my opinion getting hit in the face with my TRL-1 results in having to immeadiatly turn away in a dimly lit environment. If he doesn't just run I can employ the handgun allready pointed at his dome.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've said it probably a hundred times here... A WML is not a replacement to a flashlight. They are two different tools for different task. Do not confuse one for the other. The arguments about lighting up your family members or giving the BG's a target to shoot at are just plain old dumb. Learn to use the equipment correctly, and these arguments are eliminated.
    AS usual Sixto swoops in with the voice of reason!
    Last edited by JD; August 11th, 2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: merged posts

2. Remove Ads

I have a trl-1s on my G22 but also have a small 650 lumen tactical flashlight with a strike bezel.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Dude, the OP asked for our thoughts on a mounted light and I gave mine. I dont really care why you are so anal about them.

Flashlights do have a purpose.... be carefull how and when you use them, or not...... I don't care.

3 more words for ya, nightlights with batteries..... It's not rocket science.
    My analness comes from someone answering a question only pointing out 1 side of the issue. If the OP truly wanted input, and I believe he did, He should be presented all reasonable options.

All or nothing usually isn't the best way to debate something. It is certainly a poor way to disseminate information. You don't like weapon mounted lights and refuse to use them. Your justification revolves around nightlights in your house. Now they have become battery operated nightlights.

My point that was lost in the inanity of some responses still holds true. You should have a quality light mounted on your hd gun at a minimum, with quality backup lights for your hand. What will be more likely to happen? Momma is feeding the baby and hears the door get kicked in and the dogs go nuts. She grabs the baby and her gun of choice and looks for cover. Let's count. 1. baby in one arm. 2. gun in other hand. 3. perhaps she has a quality light in the hand holding the baby. Now she's at a locked door. How will she unlock it without three hands? Weapon mounted light solves many problems. Now she has her off hand available her options improve tremendously.

I'm trying to present information in a manner to elicit responses and MAKE YOU THINK about available options. If you go with a mounted light, train with it. If you don't mount a light, make sure you will train in the use of a non-mounted light. How many of us thought about the kids or babies? Of being able to use only one hand? All Hell is breaking loose and your goal should be survival, of you and yours, not wondering if one of the nightlights ran out of juice.

Sorry for the hijack OP, I believe a weapon mounted light is a good option that does require training. Non mounted lights work too, but they also require training so you learn or develop something that is safe, tactical, and effective.

Train hard, train safe, try to learn something from everybody. If it doesn't fit in your "Tactical toolbox" get rid of it.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    My analness comes from someone answering a question only pointing out 1 side of the issue. If the OP truly wanted input, and I believe he did, He should be presented all reasonable options.

All or nothing usually isn't the best way to debate something. It is certainly a poor way to disseminate information. You don't like weapon mounted lights and refuse to use them. Your justification revolves around nightlights in your house. Now they have become battery operated nightlights.

My point that was lost in the inanity of some responses still holds true. You should have a quality light mounted on your hd gun at a minimum, with quality backup lights for your hand. What will be more likely to happen? Momma is feeding the baby and hears the door get kicked in and the dogs go nuts. She grabs the baby and her gun of choice and looks for cover. Let's count. 1. baby in one arm. 2. gun in other hand. 3. perhaps she has a quality light in the hand holding the baby. Now she's at a locked door. How will she unlock it without three hands? Weapon mounted light solves many problems. Now she has her off hand available her options improve tremendously.

I'm trying to present information in a manner to elicit responses and MAKE YOU THINK about available options. If you go with a mounted light, train with it. If you don't mount a light, make sure you will train in the use of a non-mounted light. How many of us thought about the kids or babies? Of being able to use only one hand? All Hell is breaking loose and your goal should be survival, of you and yours, not wondering if one of the nightlights ran out of juice.

Sorry for the hijack OP, I believe a weapon mounted light is a good option that does require training. Non mounted lights work too, but they also require training so you learn or develop something that is safe, tactical, and effective.

Train hard, train safe, try to learn something from everybody. If it doesn't fit in your "Tactical toolbox" get rid of it.
    Weapon mounted tactical lights...solving the gun fight in the dark with a baby in your off arm problem since 1985!...seriously
    AZJD1968 likes this.

I've said it probably a hundred times here... A WML is not a replacement to a flashlight. They are two different tools for different task. Do not confuse one for the other. The arguments about lighting up your family members or giving the BG's a target to shoot at are just plain old dumb. Learn to use the equipment correctly, and these arguments are eliminated.
    Best comment in the whole thread.

All my HD guns have weapon mounted lights, and I have fenix hand held lights within arms reach in my nightstand and stashed around the house as well. I like to have options.

I also have access to a 24hour FOP range, so my friends and I run night time shooting drills with weapon mounted lights and hand held lights maybe once a month. It's one thing to analyze different scenarios and think i'll shine this, i'll do that. But you need to actually get out and train it. Shooting in the dark is a whole different ball game.

and in response to the OP, the TLR-1s is good to go. I could care less about the strobe function, but i'll take the extra lumens. =)

While I respect your opinion... I still disagree. But then thats just my own opinion. As I say... based on my own training and experience. Life is full of choice. I think we just choose differently.

Spuk.

i personally have a light on my HD pistol and have a TRL3 for my carry (i do not carry w/ a light attached i just have it for when we are on trips and stay in a hotel, i clip it on at night. however i also have a good flashlight bed side also and i bring it w/ me on trips. i am not a fan of using a light on your pistol as your primary light to check a bump in the night but at the same time if i point a pistol in any direction i want it to be lit up. so personally im a fan of using both hand light and light on pistol

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    My analness comes from.......
    Like I said in my earlier post.....
    "I don't really care why you are so anal about them"

All or nothing usually isn't the best way to debate something.
    I never said "all or nothing" that was you. I said."Flashlights do have a purpose.... be carefull how and when you use them, or not...... I don't care".

Finally, you said something constructive. I agree.
    Last edited by JD; August 11th, 2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: merged posts
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    While I respect your opinion... I still disagree. But then thats just my own opinion. As I say... based on my own training and experience. Life is full of choice. I think we just choose differently.

Spuk.
    How do you disagree?
    "Just blame Sixto"

There has been a wealth of great information and valuable opinions posted on this thread, but I didn't like voting on this particular poll because it's only a "poll" where there are no right or wrong answers since choice of a WML is dependent on many different factors of personal preference and mitigating circumstances regarding one's home criteria including its location, interior/exterior design, possible threats involved, occupants, type of occupants (spouse, children, pets), normal schedule of daily events, and a host of other considerations that will greatly differ with every individual or family application.

I have a toolbox full of different tools for totally different applications; and (with exception of a hammer that will fix anything) it's impossible for any poll to determine whether a wrench, screwdriver, or pair of pliers is best for any and all applications - that's why I have a number of different tools, vehicles, clothing, weapons, lights, super-hero costumes (lol) and/or combination thereof that's best suited for my intended application.

Personally, I have no children at my rural home, no indoor pets, and no neighbors, spouse, or mistress who may unexpectedly sneak in during the middle of the day or night to give me a hug or cold-nose my backsides. But, since my worst nightmare would be to drop the hammer on an innocent person (or critter) when something unusual actually does happen, I have a number of different safeguards (and different tools) in place to hopefully prevent such from ever happening without compromising my own (or anyone else's) safety and well-being as a result.

I have a very nice high power, semi-auto rifle equipped with a night-vision scope to handle occasional intrusions on the property by huge feral hogs. I have a dual pistol-grip, 12ga pump shotgun (with an 18" barrel, extender magazine, and loaded with 7-rounds of magnum buckshot) which is equipped with a high-intensity LED/WML that is very adequate for quickly illuminating (and dispatching if necessary) coyotes or anything/anyone else that's running amuck outside or threatening my dogs. My convenient, light, small, easy to conceal and reasonably effective CC weapon of choice is a little Colt Mustang with no lights, bells, target sights or anything else that will impede a fast draw and instant "point & fire" maneuver at very close range.

However, when it comes to the possibility of an intruder coming directly into my home during the dark of night, a flashlight or WML is totally out of the question because both instantly become a target and point of aim by the intruder who has the element of surprise on his/her side, is totally on the "offensive", and fully prepared to empty a magazine on the first thing that moves (or lights up) regardless or who or what it may be. Realizing that I will not only be caught by surprise and in total "defensive mode" by an unexpected intruder but also be responsible for identifying friend or foe before responding with deadly force, I've fallen back on my old military training that says the best defense when caught by surprise is to create a diversion that will put the aggressor into "surprise/defensive" mode and give me the precious few seconds needed to turn the tables in my favor.

As already mentioned, indoor night lights are good for identifying "friend or foe" - but they are a constant source of light which is no surprise to an intruder, light you up as well, and can't be depended upon during a power outage from either a natural disaster or created beforehand by the intruder. My humble solution lies on my bedside nightstand next to my 1911 .45ACP (loaded with HJHP) in the form of an inexpensive little wireless-remote key-fob that activates two, wireless, battery-powered switch modules. Each of those battery-powered, wireless-controlled switch modules is hooked up to a high-intensity, battery-powered lamp (one in my kitchen and one in my front room) which are both located away from my bedroom. When I push the "panic button", bright lights suddenly come on in those rooms to (1) light up an area away from my dark bedroom, (2) provide plenty of light for me to identify who or what is present, (3) creates a shock and sudden unexpected surprise to the intruder which instantly diverts his/her attention toward the lights and away from my dark bedroom, and (4) illuminates my possible target very nicely :)

Once again, this is what works for me and only a matter of personal preference that is neither right, wrong, or the best option for anyone else.

How do you disagree?
    IMHO I believe that lights mounted on firearms is not such a great idea. I'm not saying that it cant work. It's just not for me. I believe they can create more of a problem as they can solve. I do agree that they definately require some specific training, and mindset.

Spuk.

IMHO I believe that lights mounted on firearms is not such a great idea. I'm not saying that it cant work. It's just not for me. I believe they can create more of a problem as they can solve. I do agree that they definately require some specific training, and mindset.

Spuk.
    OK so a device that gives you the ability to light up and possibly momentarily blind an attacker while maintaining 2 hand control a firearm is a bad idea. The only downside is someone MAYBE getting muzzled while sweeping with a light but not likely in my house (no mobile kids just an infant). Many have said that they keep a designated light next to their weapon and mounted weapon light (as I do) so that no one gets muzzled just for identification. Why is this a bad thing, in my book anything that gives me more ability is not a bad thing.

I dont. House sits in the middle of 6 cleared acres, motion sensor spot lights all around, 4 dogs that bark at squirrels!
    It would be like Trace Atkins song Every Light In The House Is On in seconds.
    TC

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like SIXTO and crabby, my belief is that there's proper tools for proper tasks - and it's up to the end-user to know what to use, when, as well as to use the tool properly.

In just one low-light class, I've come to find out that I like (note that this is a "like") a weapon-mounted light for "shooting" (note that this also incorporates certain aspects of "searching," for like some have pointed out, it's not like the beam is a laser, with no spill, no matter what kind of weapon-light you have), but prefer a hand-held for searching: they're two different tools, for two different purposes.

I know that as I continue with my training, while this preference may stay constant, I will evolve more techniques and tactics - to learn to use each better.

In all honesty, I'd love to have a light on my EDC, too - but I've found that to be too bulky for IWB, which is necessary based on my lifestyle/concealment needs.

Administrator

Spuk.
    Good, then we agree far more than disagree
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links