Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

This is a discussion on Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Streamlight TLR-2s on my Glock 23 w/ nightsights. Great combo to have. The light is super bright, battery life is exceptional, easy on and off. ...

View Poll Results: Who here has a weapon light on their carry/home defense pistol?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carry pistol W/light

15 8.62%
  • Home defense pistol W/light

84 48.28%
  • No light

85 48.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

Streamlight TLR-2s on my Glock 23 w/ nightsights. Great combo to have. The light is super bright, battery life is exceptional, easy on and off. The laser and strobe come in handy also.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    OK so a device that gives you the ability to light up and possibly momentarily blind an attacker while maintaining 2 hand control a firearm is a bad idea. The only downside is someone MAYBE getting muzzled while sweeping with a light but not likely in my house (no mobile kids just an infant). Many have said that they keep a designated light next to their weapon and mounted weapon light (as I do) so that no one gets muzzled just for identification. Why is this a bad thing, in my book anything that gives me more ability is not a bad thing.
    Not to mention keeping a hand free to open doors or clear a malfunction. Sweeping someone in my house is no concern because if they are in there they broke in and have bad intentions.

I aimed my Insight Procyon (125 lumen's) at a mirror and believe me I won't again, I was completely blinded. By the time someone can try to track me by my light they'll be in hell where they came from.
    Doodle likes this.

AFB
    I have a surefire x300 mounted on my night stand gun and next to that i have a surefire G2Z. If i have to get up and grab the gun i also grb the G2Z and i use that to scan but if a threat appears(the gun is at the low and ready) i can either drop the G2Z at the same time flicking on the x300 as i bring the gun up and my support up to meet the gun. I dont like shooting with a light in my support hand. IMHO i think every weapon should have a light. My ar15 and ak pistol both have lights along with my tactical shotgun (not HD shotgun since i use a a handgun for HD)

Well amidst the strong feelings lots of you have about WML I did manage to get a good feel for it. What I have concluded is that WML have a purpose, and are useful, but I should have a handheld light with a strike bezel and a strobe function to compliment the WML on my pistol. Thanks guys!

Matthew
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

I have a light mounted on my Kimber 45 because that keeps everything in one place and accessible with one hand . I can quickly remove the light, use it momentarily or continuously on or off the gun, or not use it at all. The times I've needed a weapon at night have been far from organized and just being able to pick up the p"package" and rack the slide is real handy when you are running on your limbic system only.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I have a handheld light, gives me more control.
    Same here i got a Mag lite next to my pistol at my bedside table.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    Who here has a weapon light on their carry pistol or home defense pistol. Thinking of purchasing a TLR-1 for my pistol and want to know your thoughts.

Matthew
    I do have a light on my G19 for home defense. It allows me to keep a hand free to do other things, like operate light switches, use a phone, open doors, grab the kids, etc. Hard to do all that while also operating a hand-held light. This is the same reason I prefer a handgun to a long gun for initial home defense - the shotgun only comes out when we are all in the safe room, because it takes two hands to use.

As far as pointing the weapon mounted light meaning you are also pointing your muzzle at something - this is a training issue. You can keep your pistol at a low ready position, and the light will still allow you to see what needs to be seen. A light is not a laser. The light reflects off walls, the ground, etc - allowing you to see without necessarily pointing your weapon.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

in my house I use a lot of night lights, there are no pitch black areas.
    a flash light gives away your position, not tactically wise

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My duty P229R has a Surefire X200 attached, and it might well be in my hands in the HD role, should the need arise. (I own my duty firearms.) Yes, there are indeed family members in the house, but that is OK, because I have hand-held lights, too. There are times to use the weapon-mounted light, and times to use the hand-held light. If one's firearm has the means to attach a light, why not exercise the option?

On the other hand, I am not one who feels doomed if my weapon does not have a mounted light.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    My Insight weapon mounted light works perfectly for me. when its pointed down, towards the floor, it lights up an entire room.
    And how do you hold that light away from your body so that when the BG shoots at it it does not hit your body? How do you do a quick peek into a room without having your gun preceed you? How do you keep you gun pointed in one direction and look around with your light for other threats? I can go on and on about the negatives of a gun mounted light like it throwing off the natural balance of your gun but space is limited.

A gun mounted light is OK if you also have a handheld light as you primary. If they were so good you would see lots of LEO using them and that is not the case and it is not because of the cost of buying new holsters. Just put nightlights in strategic places in your home and you are good to go. Personally I do not like to give my position away and provide a beacon to my gun hand.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    have a tac light next to it but not on it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    And how do you hold that light away from your body so that when the BG shoots at it it does not hit your body? How do you do a quick peek into a room without having your gun preceed you? How do you keep you gun pointed in one direction and look around with your light for other threats? I can go on and on about the negatives of a gun mounted light like it throwing off the natural balance of your gun but space is limited.

A gun mounted light is OK if you also have a handheld light as you primary. If they were so good you would see lots of LEO using them and that is not the case and it is not because of the cost of buying new holsters. Just put nightlights in strategic places in your home and you are good to go. Personally I do not like to give my position away and provide a beacon to my gun hand.
    Holy crap, thought this one died! A weapon light is not for casual ID it is a weapon in itself. If I shine you in the face in a darkened room (think your pupils will be nice and dialated) with my >100 lumen weapon light you WILL turn away out of pain. It gives me that much more time. You will not be able to do anything other than shoot wildly in my general direction. It's just a tool. Police don't use them more because it's hard to find a good duty holster for a weapon with a light mounted. Your not supposed to clear your entire home with the light on. When you see your target you light him up, he turns away, you commence shooting.

I have a surefire x300 mounted on my G17.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The arguments about lighting up your family members or giving the BG's a target to shoot at are just plain old dumb.
    I realize this is a couple weeks old but I was glad to see a voice of reason in this thread (there were others but this one was easiest to quote). What's next, a bunch of posts suggesting we all use shotguns for HD because we don't have to aim?

FWIW, I carry with a TLR-3 and also have a surefire G2 handheld. If I need a flashlight I use the G2. If I need to shoot something I use the gun. If I need to shoot something in the dark, I use the gun with the light on...

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I would like to say this as a general statement.

If you have to use your light to find the bad guy then the bad guy dosen't need to use his light to find you.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links