Defensive Carry banner

Who here has a weapon light on their carry/home defense pistol?

Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

27K views 87 replies 61 participants last post by  GlassWolf 
#1 ·
Who here has a weapon light on their carry pistol or home defense pistol. Thinking of purchasing a TLR-1 for my pistol and want to know your thoughts.

Matthew

#2 ·
...whatever the light is illuminating the muzzle is pointing at.

anyone else live in the house?
visiting? your toddlers or company with theirs--that you are perhaps pointing a gun at...are those children

learn to hold the light in your weak side hand and to point the light independent of the muzzle.

#11 ·
...whatever the light is illuminating the muzzle is pointing at.
I am yet to see a handgun with a shot pattern that's 6 feet wide 10 feet down the hallway, it's a flashlight not a laser: it's a cone of light not a line. If you train to scan with the peripheral then it's not an issue (curiosity of a bump in the night doesn't come close to an adrenaline dump or tunnel vision for me), if you use it in combination with a handheld light, it's not an issue.

A flashlight is just as prone to failure as a handgun or magazine, same can be said for batteries; to have a spare light, or backup on the gun, is a natural precaution in my opinion. I think of it the same manner as having a laser on a self defense firearm, when used right and trained to be capable to go without it can be a great enhancement to home defense or if you can find the right holster, personal carry. And you don't have to use a weapon mounted light exclusively on the weapon either, making carry easier if you can't find a holster that combines both. Many of the current weapon lights are made to be added and removed in a hurry.

I'd say that if you've got a handheld light in place that you can work with then go ahead and add a weapon mounted light. After you do that also look at training options in your area and find a class that deals with low light and nighttime and flashlight handling techniques, that will also cover the use of a weapon mounted light. My subcompact doesn't have a rail for a light so I'm going to keep from voting, but as soon as I add a compact or full size firearm to compliment it, I'll be adding weapon mounted light.

#3 ·
I voted wrong..Mis-read it. I have no weapons mounted lights. If it hits the fan at home, I do not want to point my weapon at the kids. Just my way of doing it.

#4 ·
While I keep a flashlight with my nightstand gun, it is not mounted on it. As to a light mounted on a carry gun, I don't and wouldn't. It's hard enough to find a good holster for a gun, let alone trying to find one for a gun with one of dozens of make lights and lasers available.

#7 ·
While there may be situations where a handgun mounted light is appropriate, I don't believe they apply to me so I don't use them. I keep both a small (6Z) and large (SL20) lights next to the bed.

With the home invasions frequently involving more than one intruder, here is an example of an advantage of a non-weapon mounted light. You confront two armed intruders in your home with a light mounted handgun. You shoot one and then the other, hopefully while moving. The second intruder is uninhibited until you shoot him. With a non-weapon mounted light, you can blind one intruder while shooting the other using the "splash" of the light. A small advantage, none the less a real one.

#8 ·
I do have a light on my HD gun, but also have a hand held light beside it also. Also have a light on my AK. When the AK or 870 are picked up a to go bag is slung onto my sholder also. In that bag is a hand held light along with extra ammo for both guns and a extra mag for the XD. I can see the need and use for both, if you don't have it you can't use it.

Reactions: bds9009 and Doodle
#9 ·
I have a light mounted on the shotgun. Given the seriousness of a round of #1 Buck hitting somebody, I really want to be sure of my target. A secondary consideration is the power of the 300-lumen light. As a test, I stood 6 feet away from a mirror and shined the light at it.

It was about 24 hours before my vision returned to normal. The power of the light makes it a weapon in and of itself.

The handguns are different things. I have tactical flashlights in both white and red spectra, and those would be used off-hand in the event I'm going that way. But basically, the idea of mounting a flashlight to a handgun seems like too much forward-loading one's strategy.

#10 ·
Along with the other examples of why not to carry a light, I would like to give another reason that I voted no light. A light gives away your position to everyone and tells them where you are looking and pointing. In my opinion nobody needs to know that. In the case of multiple BGs that turns from a bad idea to a REALLY bad idea.

As for my home at night, I do leave nightlights so it is not so dark that I can't identify my targets, therefore not needing a light.

#15 ·
Along with the other examples of why not to carry a light, I would like to give another reason that I voted no light. A light gives away your position to everyone and tells them where you are looking and pointing. In my opinion nobody needs to know that. In the case of multiple BGs that turns from a bad idea to a REALLY bad idea.

As for my home at night, I do leave nightlights so it is not so dark that I can't identify my targets, therefore not needing a light.
How well do your nightlights work when there is no power? No electricity, no lights, no target identification.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? I have both weapon-mounted lights and handhelds. What will you do when you only have one hand to manipulate your light and gun? Realistically, you will need to open a door, you are pushing the wife or kids to cover, or you are holding the baby in your off hand, what are you going to do? Use a lanyard? So your light is now swinging around on your wrist and you are in the dark, now what?

As far as keeping a light in your off hand versus weapon-mounted, how much difference will it REALLY make masking your position? It's not as if you are turning the light on and leaving it on as you stumble around the house, is it? Light on, look, light off, move.

Archer, Blade Tech, for one, will make you a holster for just about any combo you can think of. Like a pre-rail G-21 with a mounted Surefire P101? Last I looked, Tex Shoemaker will make a one off holster if you provide the specs.

Shockwave, you are absolutely correct that a light can be a weapon in and of itself. I've had people drop everything and fall on the ground with a flash in the eyes of a good light. In the field I had a weapon mounted light, a rechargeable Surefire or Stinger for every day or night use, and a lithium Surefire on my belt in case the rechargeable died. Both lights together weigh a lot less than a Mag-light.

I'm not flaming, really. The most likely scenario most of us will face is a power outage. My mom was without power intermittently for over 2 weeks when a windstorm knocked out some of the main power feeds, in fact the entire county was experiencing the same thing. There was a commotion in my yard after dark, my shotgun light allowed me to ID if it was my dog or a coyote (turned out it was a 'dillo my dog wanted to eat). Same thing happened to my wife when I wasn't home and she used my 686 without a light and tried to shoot a coyote killing one of our puppies by starlight. She missed, it ran away, and the puppy died.

Reality and training should be your guide, not some mall ninja spouting wisdom from the 70's.

#12 ·
I have the SureFire X-300 mounted on my HD Glock-21...works for me!:yup:

#55 ·
And how do you hold that light away from your body so that when the BG shoots at it it does not hit your body? How do you do a quick peek into a room without having your gun preceed you? How do you keep you gun pointed in one direction and look around with your light for other threats? I can go on and on about the negatives of a gun mounted light like it throwing off the natural balance of your gun but space is limited.

A gun mounted light is OK if you also have a handheld light as you primary. If they were so good you would see lots of LEO using them and that is not the case and it is not because of the cost of buying new holsters. Just put nightlights in strategic places in your home and you are good to go. Personally I do not like to give my position away and provide a beacon to my gun hand.

#14 ·
I like my light seperate from my weapon for many of the various reasons mentioned above, especially the fact that I don't point my gun at things or people that aren't on my list of things to destroy.

I recently purchased a 220 lumens flashlight at Gander Mountain and was blown away by the light out put. Only paid 39.99 + tax. I'm just wandering how long it will last? So far 1 month and still going strong with light use of a 10 mins or so a day.

#16 ·
In my little corner of the world...

A light is a light... and a firearm is a firearm. Two different tools with two different functions. A light is to illuminate the dark. See where you couldnt see before. A firearm is to make a person or people stop what they are doing that cause you enough alarm that you may fear for your life. Or the lives of those you love.

Now... Like most of us... I dont really want to shoot anyone. In fact I'd avoid it if at all possible. Even more that I dont want to shoot anyone... I dont want anyone to shoot me.

The thing with lights on your gun is this... with the light you can see the adversary... That can be good. At the same time he/she can see you. Thats usually bad. Again I dont want to shoot anyone... So I usually wont go looking for trouble with or without a flashlight. I'm not in any way suggesting that anyone not use a flashlight. There are plenty of techniques to slave a light to the firearm. I'm just not in favor of mounting one to the firearm.

Then there's the whole control's confusion thing. Under stress I could see someome letting go a round when their intent is to flash the flashlight.

But thats just my take on the whole thing.

Spuk!

#17 ·
I have a flashlight and I have guns. Not all the guns have rails, but the flashlight works equally well with them all. Also, as has been previously pointed out, I can point the gun and light independently and not assault people I don't feel are threatening me.

#19 ·
I do, any gun dedicated to home defense has a light attached.

Some of these lights are so bright that any BG looking at it will be temporarely blinded, giving you an advantage. Also, these attached lights If you don't feel like it might be a good idea to use it during a particular situation, just don't turn it on.

#22 ·
No light mounted on my weapon...My preference.

#23 ·
Had one for years... Went from a M6X to a TLR 2S the name of the game is to blind an adversary giving one the tactical edge.....

Just remember strobe and move...

#27 ·
Surefire X200 on my Glock 23, with a Surefire E1L right next to it. If you choose to have a WML you need to have a handheld light also. The handheld is to search and clear, your home the WML is to identify the target. I practice drills frequently. You searc with the handheld in your weak hand gun at the low ready in your strong hand. You then drop the handheld as you bring up the gun and activate the WML with a two handed grip of your gun and identifying your threat.

Reactions: Foo909
#28 ·
I've said it probably a hundred times here... A WML is not a replacement to a flashlight. They are two different tools for different task. Do not confuse one for the other. The arguments about lighting up your family members or giving the BG's a target to shoot at are just plain old dumb. Learn to use the equipment correctly, and these arguments are eliminated.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
When at home my XD 45C gets the full size mag and the TRL-1 mounted. I also keep a hand-held light. When carrying I have a holster for light mounted and one for not. If I am carrying daytime usually I go no light. If we are going out in the evening I'll go with light. It's just a tool and doesn't buy you into"giving away your position/muzzle" unless you actuate it. On the other hand if I have a single or pair of BG's in a dark parking lot that light will increase my odds if I use it weather I have to shoot or not. In my opinion getting hit in the face with my TRL-1 results in having to immeadiatly turn away in a dimly lit environment. If he doesn't just run I can employ the handgun allready pointed at his dome.

AS usual Sixto swoops in with the voice of reason!

#29 ·
Sixto... I completely agree with you and couldn't have said it better...

To the OP, The TLR-1 is a great light, I have 2... Spend an extra few bucks and get the TLR-1S. It has the strobe function which can completely disorient the BG. Your handheld light should also have a strobe function...

Be Safe and Train...

#37 ·
i personally have a light on my HD pistol and have a TRL3 for my carry (i do not carry w/ a light attached i just have it for when we are on trips and stay in a hotel, i clip it on at night. however i also have a good flashlight bed side also and i bring it w/ me on trips. i am not a fan of using a light on your pistol as your primary light to check a bump in the night but at the same time if i point a pistol in any direction i want it to be lit up. so personally im a fan of using both hand light and light on pistol

#40 ·
There has been a wealth of great information and valuable opinions posted on this thread, but I didn't like voting on this particular poll because it's only a "poll" where there are no right or wrong answers since choice of a WML is dependent on many different factors of personal preference and mitigating circumstances regarding one's home criteria including its location, interior/exterior design, possible threats involved, occupants, type of occupants (spouse, children, pets), normal schedule of daily events, and a host of other considerations that will greatly differ with every individual or family application.

I have a toolbox full of different tools for totally different applications; and (with exception of a hammer that will fix anything) it's impossible for any poll to determine whether a wrench, screwdriver, or pair of pliers is best for any and all applications - that's why I have a number of different tools, vehicles, clothing, weapons, lights, super-hero costumes (lol) and/or combination thereof that's best suited for my intended application.

Personally, I have no children at my rural home, no indoor pets, and no neighbors, spouse, or mistress who may unexpectedly sneak in during the middle of the day or night to give me a hug or cold-nose my backsides. But, since my worst nightmare would be to drop the hammer on an innocent person (or critter) when something unusual actually does happen, I have a number of different safeguards (and different tools) in place to hopefully prevent such from ever happening without compromising my own (or anyone else's) safety and well-being as a result.

I have a very nice high power, semi-auto rifle equipped with a night-vision scope to handle occasional intrusions on the property by huge feral hogs. I have a dual pistol-grip, 12ga pump shotgun (with an 18" barrel, extender magazine, and loaded with 7-rounds of magnum buckshot) which is equipped with a high-intensity LED/WML that is very adequate for quickly illuminating (and dispatching if necessary) coyotes or anything/anyone else that's running amuck outside or threatening my dogs. My convenient, light, small, easy to conceal and reasonably effective CC weapon of choice is a little Colt Mustang with no lights, bells, target sights or anything else that will impede a fast draw and instant "point & fire" maneuver at very close range.

However, when it comes to the possibility of an intruder coming directly into my home during the dark of night, a flashlight or WML is totally out of the question because both instantly become a target and point of aim by the intruder who has the element of surprise on his/her side, is totally on the "offensive", and fully prepared to empty a magazine on the first thing that moves (or lights up) regardless or who or what it may be. Realizing that I will not only be caught by surprise and in total "defensive mode" by an unexpected intruder but also be responsible for identifying friend or foe before responding with deadly force, I've fallen back on my old military training that says the best defense when caught by surprise is to create a diversion that will put the aggressor into "surprise/defensive" mode and give me the precious few seconds needed to turn the tables in my favor.

As already mentioned, indoor night lights are good for identifying "friend or foe" - but they are a constant source of light which is no surprise to an intruder, light you up as well, and can't be depended upon during a power outage from either a natural disaster or created beforehand by the intruder. My humble solution lies on my bedside nightstand next to my 1911 .45ACP (loaded with HJHP) in the form of an inexpensive little wireless-remote key-fob that activates two, wireless, battery-powered switch modules. Each of those battery-powered, wireless-controlled switch modules is hooked up to a high-intensity, battery-powered lamp (one in my kitchen and one in my front room) which are both located away from my bedroom. When I push the "panic button", bright lights suddenly come on in those rooms to (1) light up an area away from my dark bedroom, (2) provide plenty of light for me to identify who or what is present, (3) creates a shock and sudden unexpected surprise to the intruder which instantly diverts his/her attention toward the lights and away from my dark bedroom, and (4) illuminates my possible target very nicely :)

Once again, this is what works for me and only a matter of personal preference that is neither right, wrong, or the best option for anyone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.