Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol - Page 5

Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

This is a discussion on Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AZJD1968 I would like to say this as a general statement. If you have to use your light to find the bad ...

View Poll Results: Who here has a weapon light on their carry/home defense pistol?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carry pistol W/light

15 8.62%
  • Home defense pistol W/light

84 48.28%
  • No light

85 48.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I would like to say this as a general statement.

If you have to use your light to find the bad guy then the bad guy dosen't need to use his light to find you.
    Part of being the good guy involves making some concessions. One of those is knowing that shooting at movement or sounds in the dark is a bad freaking idea. You must ID your target. If you do it correctly you will benefit from it.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

VIP Member
    Wow lots of different answers and suggestions.

Virtually all my handguns have he ability to mount a weapons light and most of the time the do. My current, or at least when I left home last time, is an M&P .45 with a threaded barrel and extended mag. It sports an M-3 light I also have a TLR-1 that will also work.

I simply prefer to see what my intended target is. I have always trained the muzzle goes where the light goes with my finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

eb
    The home defense pistol is a 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm, and it has a light on it. I don't live alone (wife/daughter), so you won't find me unloading into silhouettes in the dark. Years ago when I was living alone in my own place that nobody had a key to, I didn't bother with a light. I also didn't bother with a pistol in a drawer safe either... I had a loaded AK-47 under the bed.

The other point I would make is if I think someone has broken in, I'm ensuring that the family is safe and taking a defensive position while calling 911 or having the wife do it. The layout of my house is conducive to this. My opinion in most cases is "sweeping" the house yourself is very, very dumb. You won't find most cops willing to sweep a building solo, and I know that I lack formal training to do so. I'm only going to engage myself if I absolutely have to. I'd rather sit tight and wait for the BG to find me and unload on him from a stationary and stable position, than go walking around and risk getting ambushed or into a physical fight.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Part of being the good guy involves making some concessions. One of those is knowing that shooting at movement or sounds in the dark is a bad freaking idea. You must ID your target. If you do it correctly you will benefit from it.
    Light dissipates and reflects, when he turns on his light you will be able to see him pretty well. By all means, if you are set on a light then carry it. I will say again, please be careful when and where you use it.

When I was a kid playing hide and seek for fun, I didn't use my flashlight and I could see just fine. I'm not going to use one as an adult playing for life and death.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I didn't read all the responses so everything I'm going to say has probably already been covered.

There is nothing wrong with weapon mounted lights, just certain weapon mounted light operators.

1. Have you ever tried to unlock a door while holding a gun in one had and a flashlight in the other?

2. You don't have to shine your weapon directly at an object to illuminate it. You can illuminate a good size room by shining your light at the ceiling.

3. There is no rule that says if you have a weapon mounted light you are also not allowed to have a hand held light.

4. If you have both you can illuminate a room by rolling a flashlight into it and you still have your weapon mounted light on your gun. (not really recommended)

5. If you have just awakened your night vision is going to be at its best, you might not even need a light, especially if you have practiced navigating your home in the dark.

6. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

7. Identify your target before you shoot.

8. Take a course from a reputable trainer in low light tactics.

Jim
    wsquared likes this.

Be aware that both laws and common sense apply when pointing a firearm at someone. I don't care if you are using it for a flashlight or not.

Michael
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Light dissipates and reflects, when he turns on his light you will be able to see him pretty well. By all means, if you are set on a light then carry it. I will say again, please be careful when and where you use it.

When I was a kid playing hide and seek for fun, I didn't use my flashlight and I could see just fine. I'm not going to use one as an adult playing for life and death.
    Who says someone illegally in my residence is going to conveniently display poor light discipline so I can shoot him?

That's great, if I don't need to use a light, I won't. If you are going to need a flashlight, better damn well have one or you're gonna have a bad day/night. Theres a reason guys who have to go into houses with guns after other people with guns always have lights.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Theres a reason guys who have to go into houses with guns after other people with guns always have lights.
    Sorry I deleted my other post, that was unintentional.

I was speaking about the lack of stealth when you turn on your flashlight. These people go into houses guns and lights blazing because they don't need stealth. You said it, they go in this way because they have to. I won't be defending myself from these people.

I choose to keep my house lit well enough so I wont have to use a flashlight. If you choose to do the same then good for you, if not then use you farking flashlight! I don't care!

I will say it AGAIN!
    By all means, if you are set on a light then carry it. Please be careful when and where you use it.
    That is my point. It is also your choice.

BTW, I have many flashlights and in my opinion they are great tools, just not when you need to use stealth.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I have a TLR-1 light on one of my G-19's. It is one of several house guns and is also one of several CCW guns. I practice with it at home and on the range. As others have said it is an illumination tool not a laser. I can light up a very large area without pointing the muzzle at anyone and that is how I will continue to use it.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I don't have a weaponlight on my home defense pistol. However I do want one as I see the value in it. The weaponlight would be for my Glock 17 and would stay on it. However when I get a Glock 24 or 17L it will move there.

I keep my daily carry gun, M&P9 full-size, in a gunvault safe under my bed. Also in that safe I keep my weapon light, an "AIM Sports FQ150" 150lumen light. Cost about $45, so far has been durable, lived through 150 rounds shot through it, and is super bright.

i have a TLR3 for my Sig Pro at the bedside. I keep the porch light open.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

VIP Member
    Its been quite a while since I used a light on a handgun and admittedly it was cool at the time. I now prefer the minimalist approach to gun carry and particularly for conceal carry. Occasionally, I’ll tote around my Surefire Back-up and that seems to work out just fine.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Bingo we have a winner!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I don't have a light on any of my pistols, but I have a light next to the one on my nightstand and I carry one on my person when I'm out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links