Defensive Carry banner

Who here has a weapon light on their carry/home defense pistol?

Weapon lights on Carry pistols/Home defense pistol

27K views 87 replies 61 participants last post by  GlassWolf 
#1 ·
Who here has a weapon light on their carry pistol or home defense pistol. Thinking of purchasing a TLR-1 for my pistol and want to know your thoughts.

Matthew

#44 ·
Like SIXTO and crabby, my belief is that there's proper tools for proper tasks - and it's up to the end-user to know what to use, when, as well as to use the tool properly.

In just one low-light class, I've come to find out that I like (note that this is a "like") a weapon-mounted light for "shooting" (note that this also incorporates certain aspects of "searching," for like some have pointed out, it's not like the beam is a laser, with no spill, no matter what kind of weapon-light you have), but prefer a hand-held for searching: they're two different tools, for two different purposes.

I know that as I continue with my training, while this preference may stay constant, I will evolve more techniques and tactics - to learn to use each better.

In all honesty, I'd love to have a light on my EDC, too - but I've found that to be too bulky for IWB, which is necessary based on my lifestyle/concealment needs.

#48 ·
I have a surefire x300 mounted on my night stand gun and next to that i have a surefire G2Z. If i have to get up and grab the gun i also grb the G2Z and i use that to scan but if a threat appears(the gun is at the low and ready) i can either drop the G2Z at the same time flicking on the x300 as i bring the gun up and my support up to meet the gun. I dont like shooting with a light in my support hand. IMHO i think every weapon should have a light. My ar15 and ak pistol both have lights along with my tactical shotgun (not HD shotgun since i use a a handgun for HD)

#49 ·
Well amidst the strong feelings lots of you have about WML I did manage to get a good feel for it. What I have concluded is that WML have a purpose, and are useful, but I should have a handheld light with a strike bezel and a strobe function to compliment the WML on my pistol. Thanks guys!

Matthew

#50 ·
I have a light mounted on my Kimber 45 because that keeps everything in one place and accessible with one hand . I can quickly remove the light, use it momentarily or continuously on or off the gun, or not use it at all. The times I've needed a weapon at night have been far from organized and just being able to pick up the p"package" and rack the slide is real handy when you are running on your limbic system only.

#52 ·
I do have a light on my G19 for home defense. It allows me to keep a hand free to do other things, like operate light switches, use a phone, open doors, grab the kids, etc. Hard to do all that while also operating a hand-held light. This is the same reason I prefer a handgun to a long gun for initial home defense - the shotgun only comes out when we are all in the safe room, because it takes two hands to use.

As far as pointing the weapon mounted light meaning you are also pointing your muzzle at something - this is a training issue. You can keep your pistol at a low ready position, and the light will still allow you to see what needs to be seen. A light is not a laser. The light reflects off walls, the ground, etc - allowing you to see without necessarily pointing your weapon.

#54 ·
My duty P229R has a Surefire X200 attached, and it might well be in my hands in the HD role, should the need arise. (I own my duty firearms.) Yes, there are indeed family members in the house, but that is OK, because I have hand-held lights, too. There are times to use the weapon-mounted light, and times to use the hand-held light. If one's firearm has the means to attach a light, why not exercise the option?

On the other hand, I am not one who feels doomed if my weapon does not have a mounted light.

#60 ·
I would like to say this as a general statement.

If you have to use your light to find the bad guy then the bad guy dosen't need to use his light to find you.

#61 ·
Part of being the good guy involves making some concessions. One of those is knowing that shooting at movement or sounds in the dark is a bad freaking idea. You must ID your target. If you do it correctly you will benefit from it.

#62 ·
Wow lots of different answers and suggestions.

Virtually all my handguns have he ability to mount a weapons light and most of the time the do. My current, or at least when I left home last time, is an M&P .45 with a threaded barrel and extended mag. It sports an M-3 light I also have a TLR-1 that will also work.

I simply prefer to see what my intended target is. I have always trained the muzzle goes where the light goes with my finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

#63 ·
The home defense pistol is a 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm, and it has a light on it. I don't live alone (wife/daughter), so you won't find me unloading into silhouettes in the dark. Years ago when I was living alone in my own place that nobody had a key to, I didn't bother with a light. I also didn't bother with a pistol in a drawer safe either... I had a loaded AK-47 under the bed.

The other point I would make is if I think someone has broken in, I'm ensuring that the family is safe and taking a defensive position while calling 911 or having the wife do it. The layout of my house is conducive to this. My opinion in most cases is "sweeping" the house yourself is very, very dumb. You won't find most cops willing to sweep a building solo, and I know that I lack formal training to do so. I'm only going to engage myself if I absolutely have to. I'd rather sit tight and wait for the BG to find me and unload on him from a stationary and stable position, than go walking around and risk getting ambushed or into a physical fight.

#65 ·
I didn't read all the responses so everything I'm going to say has probably already been covered.

There is nothing wrong with weapon mounted lights, just certain weapon mounted light operators.

1. Have you ever tried to unlock a door while holding a gun in one had and a flashlight in the other?

2. You don't have to shine your weapon directly at an object to illuminate it. You can illuminate a good size room by shining your light at the ceiling.

3. There is no rule that says if you have a weapon mounted light you are also not allowed to have a hand held light.

4. If you have both you can illuminate a room by rolling a flashlight into it and you still have your weapon mounted light on your gun. (not really recommended)

5. If you have just awakened your night vision is going to be at its best, you might not even need a light, especially if you have practiced navigating your home in the dark.

6. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

7. Identify your target before you shoot.

8. Take a course from a reputable trainer in low light tactics.

Jim

#69 ·
I have a TLR-1 light on one of my G-19's. It is one of several house guns and is also one of several CCW guns. I practice with it at home and on the range. As others have said it is an illumination tool not a laser. I can light up a very large area without pointing the muzzle at anyone and that is how I will continue to use it.

#71 ·
I keep my daily carry gun, M&P9 full-size, in a gunvault safe under my bed. Also in that safe I keep my weapon light, an "AIM Sports FQ150" 150lumen light. Cost about $45, so far has been durable, lived through 150 rounds shot through it, and is super bright.

#73 ·
Its been quite a while since I used a light on a handgun and admittedly it was cool at the time. I now prefer the minimalist approach to gun carry and particularly for conceal carry. Occasionally, I’ll tote around my Surefire Back-up and that seems to work out just fine.

#77 ·
No lights on my carry guns. I do have a light on my HD gun. I also have a flashlight next to my bed. If I can only get to the gun, I have a light. I don't see the drawback when shining the light because you don't have to be directly pointed at something to light up a room, pointing at the ceiling and turing the light on will do that. The drawback I see is it lets the BG know where you are. While I would prefer to grab both the gun and stand alone light, it is nice to have the option.

#78 ·
I'm "Old school" and I do not like weapon/rail mounted lights. I am not a S.W.A.T. team member and what may be great for SWAT is not always suitable for civilian home defense. That is just my personal opinion and everybody else is (of course) entitled to their own opinion.
I still use the tried and true flashlight/firearm handling techniques that I became familiar with years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.