How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

This is a discussion on How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 5POINT56 Anyone who carries a small revolver, such as a J-Frame S&W or similar, should have a CT grip installed. They are ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT56 View Post
    Anyone who carries a small revolver, such as a J-Frame S&W or similar, should have a CT grip installed.

They are a revolutionary improvement for that platform....and many others.

Attachment 52441
    Yeah, I am kind of fond of the CT grips on my J Frame snubbie. They are also great for practice if you are teaching yourself to shoot a revolver.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    1. I like the CT LG for training over use in a SD situation - steadies the aim-point.
    2. For SD, there is a lag where you are turning on the laser and looking for it. Contrast this with snap shooting instinctively;
    3. HG use is for out and about. Inside the house, in place in your BR, a shotgun is the tool of choice;
    4. In the rare instance you are in a bad location (shooting at the BG's foot from under the bed?) a CT red laser will be a good option;
    5. Don't think 'I have a Laser Handgun.' Think, rather, 'My HG has a laser option for specific training and hard position shooting';
    6. Don't think of having a house gun, rifle, HG, shotgun as indicating you know how to fight with a firearm. YOU DO NOT! It is a skill, just like getting a Black Belt in hard Karate. Use your house gun to allow time to summon the police, stay out of the house (if you arrive home and see a door open), barricade self in BR or saferoom and await the arrival of police. Time is on your side here;
    7. Have a bandolier with cellphone, OC spray, ear plugs, tac flashlight, a mag for each of your firearms. Grab this and sling over shoulder if you MUST go check outside the room in the middle of the night to check out a noise (if you have kids down the hall?);
    8. Green lasers are better for the purpose many people wish to use their lasers for, though, again, a laser is not an ideal SD solution by itself;
    9. Have a partner and train them and your older children all how to use the guns in the house, go to the range as a family, stress safety, etc.;
    10. Remember having a HG is only giving you a small edge - nobody can expect to survive a multiple opponent/multiple invader, or an ambush - you count on luck and having some extra options.

To sum up: From the Cornered Cat website: But the existence of the laser does not turn a marginal shooter into a good one. It doesn't replace trigger control and it doesn't teach you how to run the gun quickly and smoothly.

It also doesn't teach you aggression, tactics, teamwork, strategy, SA or any of the intangibles that you acquire with experience.
    $.02

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I have a couple CT lasers, on a Kahr K9 and a Beretta 92fs. The product is well made, and once sighted in, holds aim well. I don't have one for my CCW, but if one were made for it, I would probably buy one.

I like the ability to shoot unaimed shots using a laser. This gives you the advantage of shooting from a contorted or unusual position, as well as letting you hold the weapon in a lower position while searching for a threat, increasing your field of view. Longer distance shots are harder as I get older and the laser helps me with the initial round, but really helps with a quicker follow up shots.

I see no downside to having a laser. It is another arrow in your quiver.
    bliss_137 likes this.

Please focus on the Crimson Trace part of this post.

John,

I have a Ruger Sr9c with the Crimson Trace Laserguard. I love it. I have shot since I was a kid but did not shoot much in the last 7 or 8 years, after my CWP expired. Recently I got a new license and the Ruger....only problem was I had graduated to prescription glasses with progressive bifocals, which required me to move my head up and down to find the sights and the target. After the first day of getting acquainted with my new gun, I purchased my CT laser and what a huge difference!! I am not looking at the gun any longer, just looking straight ahead at the target. I feel it gives me a bigger picture of what is around the target environment as well as spot on accuracy to the target.

Do yourself a huge favor and get yourself one, if they make on for your weapon. I only have experience with the Laserguard, which looks to be an integral part of the gun and was able to get holsters from 2 different companies. If you go to Crimson site, they have a number of different self defense videos that show the effectiveness of the lasers.

Good luck.

Terry

What are your thoughts on this? Please focus on the Crimson Trace part of this post.

Ex Member
    Three. Two house guns, and my pocket J frame.

I have a CT on my Ruger LCP as the sights are just pitiful but useable at close range as the weapons intended to be. There are also a set on my S&W 642. I train without using the lasers but its nice to know they are there in a bad situation. Saving up for a set for my Springfield Armory XDM9. Just a reminder tho no tech is gonna replace dedicated practice it just helps in some cases.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

My Everyday Carry piece is a S&WM&P40S&W/357Sig with the Crimson Trace Laser Grip. I've carried this setup for about 20 months.

I have them on 5 Pistols for self defense. Have two at bedside, one in the car, and a couple EDC.
    They are worthwhile and can make the difference in a stress situation.
    Here are two I like to carry:

I have them on my LCP, Colt New Agent and M&P 9c. They have definitely improved my shooting and with my changing eyesight, I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by stumpjumper; August 14th, 2011 at 10:28 AM.

Guess I will go with the LG904. It does not require me to cut the ambi safety on my Wilson. The grey grips are ugly, but better ugly than at a disadvantage in a bad situation.
    John.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Yes, on my EDC which is M&P 40c.

BTW, CTC will provide FREE batteries annually. You have to call their CS and they will send via snail mail.

Time for "Marco"......."Polo"!

I checked on a laser but was recommended away because you'll depend on it like a crutch. Interesting those saying that are young LEO's. I wonder what they'll say in 30 years. In the meantime I've learned to shoot without sights accurately enough to protect myself - that is within a 6" group at 15'.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Time for "Marco"......."Polo"!

I checked on a laser but was recommended away because you'll depend on it like a crutch. Interesting those saying that are young LEO's. I wonder what they'll say in 30 years. In the meantime I've learned to shoot without sights accurately enough to protect myself - that is within a 6" group at 15'.
    Young LEO's. Yup, that's the group that is probably among the group least qualified to make judgments about proper firearms training. What with all the PC nonsense they're exposed to in their academies. However, I learned to do the same as you when I was young. But now that my eyes are aging and it's a TAD bit more difficult to rapidly acquire my front sight than it was 25 years ago, I think of the laser as a viable AID but not as a crutch by any means.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpfaff View Post
    Guess I will go with the LG904. It does not require me to cut the ambi safety on my Wilson. The grey grips are ugly, but better ugly than at a disadvantage in a bad situation.
    Just came from the crimson trace website. They offer a wilson ambi safety with a right side half lever. The catch is that it must be "gunsmith installed." I think I saw where they charge $60 for the ambi safety.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I have CT grips on two J frames that I carry. I also have them on a G22 and a 4" Ruger GP100. The G22 gets carried sometimes, but it and the GP100 are home defense guns mostly.
    I think the laser grips are a good idea. They are also very helpful in practicing trigger control while dry firing.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links