How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun? - Page 7

How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

This is a discussion on How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't like lights or lasers on my SD weapon....don't want to give away my position until I have engaged and gotten off first shots ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

I don't like lights or lasers on my SD weapon....don't want to give away my position until I have engaged and gotten off first shots if need be. When not using night vision equipment that can adjust for muzzle flash always use the blink technique when firing ur weapons to avoid night blindness. Also try to always have an escape route or plan 2 if at all possible.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

This doesn't sound like self defense, this sounds like an ambush
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I don't like lights or lasers on my SD weapon....don't want to give away my position until I have engaged and gotten off first shots if need be. When not using night vision equipment that can adjust for muzzle flash always use the blink technique when firing ur weapons to avoid night blindness. Also try to always have an escape route or plan 2 if at all possible.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    This doesn't sound like self defense, this sounds like an ambush
    Not quite the word which came to mind for me.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

My S & W 642 has Crimsom Trace laser grips. I really like them for practice dry firing and if ever needed in low/very little light, or if needing to shoot around a corner/behind a barrier, etc. Since the laser grips are not exactly in line with the barrel, they do require a bit of sighting in for shooting at different distances.

My Ruger LCP came with a LaserMax laser. It is easy to activate (finger tip when drawing) and seems very reliable. It does help, especially in low light, with the *tiny* sights on the LCP.

My every day carry has both TruGlo TFO's and Crimson Trace grips. The fiber optics are bright in daylight and I still have tritium dots for low light if the laser goes out. I'll take every advantage I can get.

IMO, Crimson trace lasers are more of a novelty. I do see their value in a situation where getting a good sight picture is not a viable option (ie. dark environment) but I've seen more than a few people rely on this particular accessory for primary aiming, instead of a using it as a specialized back-up aiming device.

A laser will obviously not illuminate a target for identification. For that, you should use a flashlight in your off hand, or use a rail mounted light.
    However, in your case of deteriorating eyesight, a laser can be a much faster and reliable sighting option in the right conditions. They don't work as well when its bright out as they do when its dark. Some people prefer red, some prefer green. In that regard, I'd say use whatever color your eyes can detect the fastest.

Some weapons come with larger, easier-to-use sights. Some barely function at all. It may be worth looking into a new sight system for an existing gun or an entirely new gun with sights that work better for you.

In your case, I'd say buy a quality laser and install it. You don't have to use it but its there if you need it should your eyes fail you. And as I mentioned earlier, keep a good quality bright light that can cut shadows on or next to your weapon. Next time something goes bump in the night and you need to investigate, use that flashlight instead of turning on overhead lights. It will help your night vision and give you a different control of the environment.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    To answer the question posed in the title, I do not use any lasers at this time.

The first reason is quite straightforward: I wear a badge that belongs to a PD, which mandates no laser aiming devices on our firearms used for police purposes, and as Texas peace officers are considered to be "on duty" 24/7 while within Texas, my employer considers even self-defense incidents, off the clock, to be line-of-duty.

Secondly, Crimson Trace seems to have largely neglected left-hand shooting, in the design of their devices for handguns. I believe strongly in ambidextrous training, and have no hesitation in switching sides when the situation indicates an advantage in doing so. I actually carry "primary" on my right hip, in spite of being left-handed. (Long story, and a bit off-topic here.)

I would like to add that lasers are not a quick fix to sighting problems. One still must train! As with iron sights, or electronic optics, or scopes, practice in getting the weapon roughly on-target, by reflex, is vital, to minimize the time spent on final
    alignment. I am not opposed to lasers, just saying that one must practice to gain proficiency. I plan to install lasers on at least some of my defensive long guns as soon as I retire from the PD, probably the rail-mount type, on each side of the fore-arm. Why both sides? Well, remember the ambidextrous part, plus there is the two is one, one is none principle, plus, with two lasers, mounted horizontally level with each other, I can instantly verify alignment in e event one gets knocked or bumped a
    bit.

With handguns, I am less sure I will use lasers in the future.
    Last edited by Rexster; May 31st, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Typo

I only chose to go with a Crimson Trace grip because my P3AT has almost no sights, and the gun needed a bit of an intimidation factor. People can't grasp that you drew a gun from a pocket. Even it's when obviously pointed.

I'll never use it on a gun with sights.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I just finished converting all my carry guns to either night sights, or adding the Crimson Trace laser system to um. Unlike some, I truly feel they do add a level of accuracy to any firearm especially under duress. IMO, it's the highest level of point shooting. I know it adds to the confidence level when carrying my five shot Smith. I can put five in the 10 ring @ 50'...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

kholster holster

[QUOTE=vl1500c90;2231671]I like the idea of a laser on my pistols since I'm growing older by the day but I'll be damned if I can find a belt unit for my Ruger SR40c with CT Laser. I'd sure appreciate a nod if anyone knows where to pick up such a beast.
    Thanks[/QUOTE. Kholsterholster.com will have a holster for hour gun with a cf laser on it. Very good holster for concealment. Shirts tuck in very easily and very comfortable.
    Last edited by sr9cman; July 29th, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: addin text

kholsterholster.com will have your holster

[QUOTE=vl1500c90;2231671]I like the idea of a laser on my pistols since I'm growing older by the day but I'll be damned if I can find a belt unit for my Ruger SR40c with CT Laser. I'd sure appreciate a nod if anyone knows where to pick up such a beast.
    Thanks[/QUOTE

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've got CT grips on my EDC. They don't take anything away but could add a lot depending on the situation.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I own two sets of CT laser guards, both have failed me and both have been replaced under warranty.

I have one for my glock 26. Just before the 2 year mark of owning it, the manual on/off button failed. I was at the range practicing. I spend half of my time with the laser off and half on. during the half off portion, the laser would reset to on after recoil.

The second one is for my ruger LCP, about 6 months into owning it the button that activates the laser (where your middle finger goes) became unreliable and would not activate the laser unless i had a ridiculously firm grip on the pistol... like to the point that my hand was purple from griping it so hard.

That said, I love them and use them on both my two main carry pistols. Just train with and without them and never depend on them to the point that you cant shoot effectively if they fail you.

Re: How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

I use em and love it. I practice shooting with and without though so I dont become dependent. It sure makes for quick accuracy on follow up shots though.

I like how I can leave it on and anytime I draw the gun it just comes on with a natural grip. No worrying about turning it on in a tough situation where precious time may be waisted.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links