How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

This is a discussion on How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried IWB 4' 1911 for a number of years. I am 61 and the old eyes are not what they used to be. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

How many use Crimson Trace on their carry gun?

I have carried IWB 4' 1911 for a number of years. I am 61 and the old eyes are not what they used to be. I have moved to fiber optic front sight for daytime use and am thinking Crimson Trace for night.

I heard a loud bang in my home the other night and was disturbed at the delay it took to reach around corners and turn lights on-plenty of time for a BG to grab or move in that situation. What are your thoughts on this? Please focus on the Crimson Trace part of this post. I have already gone to fiber optic front sight.

Disturbing little icons, aren't they?

Thanks,
    John.
    John.

2. Remove Ads

how about if you hear a loud bang in your house you stay in a secure location, arm yourself, call the cops and if a BG comes to you take care of him. you shouldn't be clearing a house if your eyesight is not up to par

Avoid turning lights on because it gives your position away to the BGs. I have never used a crimson trace laser but I have heard they are useful. I would go to your LGS and see if they have one you can try out. My LGS has them mounted on some red guns to try out.

My eyesight is about what any 61 year old is - wear glasses, slower to focus, harder to get the whole sight picture (front sight, rear sight, target in focus at one time) and night vision not what it was when I was a 20 year old U.S Marine.

Our local deputies are often recruited and deputized over the phone for instances such as this. I prefer my judgement over theirs.

What happened to focusing on the benefits or lack of of Crimson Trace?
    John.

I have CT lasers on my LC9 and my SR9c but not my LCP.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm like you.. Old age creeping up. I have CTs on my carry guns and a laser on my HD guns. I can and do practice w/ and w/o the lasers on all guns, but I'm not getting any younger... Lasers are for me. My aim is better w/ lasers, and I feel more comfortable w/ lasers. But remember to practice w/o lasers just in caes!!! Batteries last a while, but I change them when I change my batteries in my smoke detectors at home-- at time changes-- whether the batteries need to be changed or not. Not that expensive...
    stancehold likes this.

Administrator
    You are exactly one type of individual that the Crimson Trace grips work best for.
    With the laser installed you can focus your eyes 100% plus all of your attention on the threat and you do not need to look at your front or rear weapon sights at all.
    RAL likes this.

I've used CT lasers on and off on my carry guns. I like the idea of having them on my home-defense sidearm. It's good for quick sight alignment.....but.....I think in a high-stress situation like a bad guy IN your home you might not even focus on the laser 'dot'.

Confidence in your own point-of-aim and practice will do you considerably more than 'just' a laser. If you practice that with the CT then your pretty well good to go.

JMO
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Of the many weapons we have only one has a laser for aiming it happens to be a Ruger LCP. Most everyone knows that the LCP's factory sights are almost non-existient. Well I'm not 60 and vision is 20/20 corrected. I can tell you this the Crimson Trace Laser was well worth the $159.00 paid for it. I think lasers are a great upgrade for any gun, especially a defense gun. When you get in a panic situation any little advantage you can have is a huge plus.

I've had a laser on my chest and really didn't care for it much.
    garyacman and stancehold like this.

The regular battery change-out is a good idea. I have practiced for years and had o.k. luck with nightsights, but lately cannot i.d. the target in the dark and the nightsights have become useless to me after first shot due to night blindness. I like the increased vis of the fiber optic front for normal light conditions and like the idea that the Crimson Trace may 1. cause the BG to reconsider,
    2. speed up my sight picture, and 3. light up the target a little bit so I can find it.
    Thanks.
    John.

John, I am 64 and have similar eyesight. Most of the time I carry a Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace
    laser sight. The sight is a great help especially in low light. The little LCP has almost non-existant black sights. Before buying, I picked up a free Crimson Trace DVD from a local gun store that explained the advantages. About the only disadvantage that I can think of is that you may give away your position before firing. It's also a great training tool when dry firing. It helped me get used to the long double action trigger pull.
    stancehold likes this.

an idea that is better than using a laser is training! learn how to point shoot, learn how to shoot without the sights because that moment you take to find that red dot is the moment you will get shot in by the bg you are aiming at

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have night sights on most of my carry guns, and those that don't have night sights have Crimson Trace lasers. They are definitely helpful, and I particularly like the fact that the laser enables you to shoot accurately from any odd position. I too am in your age group.
    stancehold likes this.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

OP - Go here: Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

Read the sections about lasers, and how to train with them.

I have CT lasers on all my carry pistols. I saw the benefit clearly (ha ha) at a recent low light pistol class. My dad wears bifocals, and they are a great aid to him as well.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    I have a CT grip on my Colt C. Commander & a LaserMax on my G36.
    I can envision a few possible scenarios where they could prove valuable and so I keep them in my "bag of self-defensive tricks" ~ I would also put a set of CT on my SIG/Browning BDA .45 (which I also carry quite often) but, since it's a Euro (butt mag release) pistol the grips for the American virgin AKA the SIG P220 will not fit.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links