How Many CC Full Size Weapons

This is a discussion on How Many CC Full Size Weapons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been CC for about 4 months and have been primarily carrying a G30 and a G26 in a hybird IWB holster. I recently have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How Many CC Full Size Weapons

How Many CC Full Size Weapons

I've been CC for about 4 months and have been primarily carrying a G30 and a G26 in a hybird IWB holster. I recently have purchased a G17 and am looking for possible ways to carry it. Any ideas would be appreciated. I did slide it in my G26 IWB holster and it felt O.K to me. I also recently purchased a real light jacket that would allow me to use a Safariland ALS level III holster which I think would be nice. Obvioulsy I can't wear a jacket in KS everday but its just another option I would like to have in my cc arsenal.

Thoughts?

I do usually just wear shorts or blue jeans and a T-Shirt and conceal my G30 & G26 with no issues.
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; August 8th, 2011 at 02:02 AM. Reason: to be more precise

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carry either a 3” 1911 or a Government model in an IWB holster and have never had a problem with concealment even under a t-shirt as long as it is not a really tight fit.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I wear baggy pants (note: with a belt holding them at my waist! I don't sag) and big shirts so concealment isn't hard at all.

I Dress comfortably and it works

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

VIP Member
    In cooler weather, I carry a 5" 1911 Gov. model OWB and never have any trouble. I'll wear either a vest or light jacket. The hardest part to conceal is the grip, so IWB will typically give you better results when carry when a jacket isn't required. Diversity is the way to go...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I CC my full sized K frame without a problem. I use a IWB for that job.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I rotate a Government Model Colt Combat Elite and Sig P229 SCT and on rarer occasion an XD Service in .40; I prefer a full "fighting gun" for self defense. The Colt rides in either a Super Tuck IWB, or Bullard Bodyguard OWB, the Sig in High Noon Down Under IWB or Personal Security Kydex OWB, and the Springer in a Dale Fricke Zac rig AIWB, usually with an untucked polo or button down short sleeve this time of year with a wife beater tucked under the holster most times. I don't find it hard to conceal this size firearm and feel uncomfortable with anything smaller. In problem areas I'll pocket carry a Smith 442 on the weak side in addition to one of the aforementioned pistols.

I really question the ability of anyone to conceal an ALS level III holster. Cover with a garment, yes. Conceal, not likely. That is a duty holster and cants outwards to avoid interfering with body armor.

I have carried a CZ75B, M&P9pro 5", M&P9 4.25" and g17, among others, and currently carry a P30. I found I had trouble with the grip printing unless I was wearing an especially baggy shirt. The reason I bought the P30 was to switch to AIWB (1:00) carry. I find it makes concealment under normal clothes a breeze and is much more comfortable than strong side hip carry.

I'm 5'11" 155lbs and wear medium shirts.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

I carry a Glock 22 quite often. Although I usually carry my G27 in the summer and the 22 in the colder months. Get you a Remora holster for your 17. They are great. Just stick it your pants IWB at any position or cant you wish. I also use a Comp-tac C-tac for my 22. And also carry OWB with larger shirts. I have a Glock Sport Combat holster and also a Fobus. But more times than not I use the Remora.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I keep hearing about these Remora holsters... I'm going to get one on order and see what I think myself.

It appears to me that if you want to carry a full size gun you can its just a matter of how determined are you to have that advantage

VIP Member
    When not working I carry either a 4.25" 1911, or a 4" CZ P-01. Usually IWB, never had a problem concealing either one. The trick is a good gun belt and holster, coupled with a loose fitting shirt.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I really question the ability of anyone to conceal an ALS level III holster. Cover with a garment, yes. Conceal, not likely. That is a duty holster and cants outwards to avoid interfering with body armor.

I have carried a CZ75B, M&P9pro 5", M&P9 4.25" and g17, among others, and currently carry a P30. I found I had trouble with the grip printing unless I was wearing an especially baggy shirt. The reason I bought the P30 was to switch to AIWB (1:00) carry. I find it makes concealment under normal clothes a breeze and is much more comfortable than strong side hip carry.

I'm 5'11" 155lbs and wear medium shirts.

Good to know about the duty holster. I have never strapped one on. I thought maybe I could use it when I OC'd or Under a bulky jacket but it sounds like the jacket with that duty holster might give me some type of cancerous looking growth LOL.

VIP Member
    I carry a full size Sig P220R and can conceal it no problem in a CBST at 4:30.

I use a Safariland ALS on duty, you WON'T conceal it, just cover it (as someone else said).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Good to know about the duty holster. I have never strapped one on. I thought maybe I could use it when I OC'd or Under a bulky jacket but it sounds like the jacket with that duty holster might give me some type of cancerous looking growth LOL.

I've seen some guys at in service training wearing an ALS duty holsters and try to conceal it with a t-shirt over it. It looks ridiculous to say the least and they don't even need to conceal. I'm not sure who they think they are fooling especially when they are wearing a dept t-shirt.

Safariland does have some level I concealable options if you want a retention holster. I haven't tried them so I don't know how well they will actually conceal but they are marketed as concealable.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I carry a PT1911 in a High Noon Public Secret.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I would love for some of this to be true but the fact is that the grip length on any "full size" will print when carried at 4 o'clock. I would be happy to be able to get away with a G19 mag in my 26 let alone be able to carry my Kimber. But the second I sit down at my drafting table the butt of the larger carry pieces would stick out like a tumor from my back. I have yet to find another carry option that would allow for larger weapons to be concealed. AIWB=no, MOB=no, and a shoulder rig or some elastic band type thing would make it take to long for me to deploy my EDC in a SHTF situation. I would rather be able to get my G26 or similar sized weapon out and a round off quickly than to have to struggle with a full sized that is buried on my body somewhere.

I don't doubt that some have lifestyles that afford being able to carry the larger defense handguns, but not me. I guess I am just jealous. Ideally I would want a full sized in a tactical thigh holster but I shall have to save that for when the zombies attack.
    Last edited by Justified; August 8th, 2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: I should proof read
    ASSA9 likes this.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links