Carrying 1911's with ambidextrous safety , any issues ?

This is a discussion on Carrying 1911's with ambidextrous safety , any issues ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you guys/gals have an issue with carrying a 1911 with ambi safety? Such as the outside portion of the lever getting switched ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carrying 1911's with ambidextrous safety , any issues ?

Carrying 1911's with ambidextrous safety , any issues ?

Do any of you guys/gals have an issue with carrying a 1911 with ambi safety? Such as the outside portion of the lever getting switched to fire position during a accidental brush up? I know there is still the palm grip and of course the finger , but I read on another thread that a guy changed his out before he carried. So has anyone on here seen a reason to change out the safety?

This place is a tree of knowledge!
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

2. Remove Ads

I've carried 1911-types for many years, some with ambi safeties, some without (like the one I'm carrying today.) I can think of maybe two or three times I've found that an ambi safety had been accidentally wiped off during carry without my noticing it until later. It hasn't worried me, mostly because all my holsters cover the trigger. The grip safety is just gravy. I've had a Browning Hi-Power with an ambi safety once accidentally get the safety snicked off, and that didn't trouble me, either. I studiously obey Rule #3, which is one's real safety.

In general, I prefer that my primary-carry guns not have an ambi, but not because of the risk of accidentally wiping it off. Even the best ambi safeties are more fragile than is the single-side safety, and are somewhat prone to breakage. If I'm carrying one just for left-hand use, then I like having the ambi, but even then, it is not a necessity. With a little practice, it is not hard to learn to drop the standard safety left-handed, and that skill should be learned.

Augrunt,
    I have a SA 1911 Compact Carry V10 and had been carrying it in a DeSantis OWB holster (carried in a 3:30 position), that was made for my M&P 9mm. It seemed to fit "ok", held it in place, but the trigger ring flaps/guards are too large for the SA 1911. I need to purchase the correct holster for the weapon that I intend to carry!

I have NEVER had a weapons mishandling incident, in my entire life. I've been handling all types of weapons since I was 10 years old.

Anyway... A couple of weeks ago, my brother and were out fishing. As I got out of the car, I was getting our fishing gear ready to go and remembered my CCW was still in the car. (We had traveled a distance to this location and I had put my SA 1911 in the console.) When I retrieved the SA from the console, I checked the safety and it was on, so I pulled up my shirt and attempted to put it in my holster. Well, I wasn't looking at what I was doing and the SA didn't just slide in the holster as had done on previous occassions. So, I wiggled it in a side to side motion in attempt to get the pistol to slip inside the holster.

What I didn't notice was that one of the ear tabs (trigger guards for the M&P) was pushing on the trigger, while the other tab had flipped the ambi-safety off. Ofcourse, my hand was pushing down on the grip safety at the back of the pistol grip and ....you guessed it. BANG!!! Needless to say, I was in a state of shock and afraid to look to see how much of my ass that I'd just blown off. Fortunately, all I got was a huge muzzle blast burn and concussion bruise from the short and ported barrel. Obviously, the shorts I WAS wearing were ripped to shreds, with the back pocket mssing and a bullet nick in my leather wallet.

I'm not afraid/embarassed to tell this story, as it may help others to realize that every weapon has to be carried in its' own holster, that was designed for that weapon. I was very lucky and thank God, to this day, that that's all that happened to me. My brother was standing on the other side of the car, the bullet went into the grass and there were no other people standing around in the area. We made a pact to never tell our retired Mom, the events of that day.

My SA 1911 will remain in the safe, until I purchase the correct holster for it AND get the ambi-safety removed.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
    Last edited by Bowhunter57; August 8th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Beer Nuts: $1.49
    Deer Nuts: Still under a Buck.

I prefer the regular safety as original design. It works.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Big lesson learned, Bowhunter. Sorry about your buttocks, but at least, nobody caught a bullet. Sure could have been worse!

I carry a PT1911 with an ambidextrous safety. I've never had a problem with it.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I do lefty work with my Colt often, but I do not have an ambi safety lever on it. I practice swiping the safety off with my trigger finger when shooting left handed. It wasn't hard to learn and becomes as easy as using your thumb when shooting right handed. The reason I don't use an ambi lever is that there is a chance of the safety being disengaged during carry and the part is fragile as well.

I carry a Kimber CDP Pro often, and I'd never had a problem with its ambi safety. That said, I'm not a fan of them and at some point I'll change that gun over to a port side-only safety. I've done enough weak-hand shooting to know how to manipulate the safety on a 1911.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Scary lesson, Bowhunter. Glad you're okay. No underestimating the value of proper, good quality gear.

I carry a Springfield Loaded w/ambi safety on duty, never had a problem with it but my holster protects it. My off duty 1911 is a single safety, no problems there either.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Administrator
    Much depends on the safety. With some designs the linkage between both sides of the safety can be a weak link.
    For what it's worth coming from me; If you don't actually need the ambidextrous feature then switch it out.

I'm a lefty and all of my past and present 1911s have had ambi safeties. I can't recall any issues since my first purchase in 1990.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have been carrying for almost 33 yr. A 1911 of some type is all I have carryed and can rember one time that it was off. I am left handed

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Never had a problem with my Colts (full size series 70 & 80) coming unlocked or for that mater my Sigc3 all single sided safteys carried in a lot of different holsters as of the last few years mostly carried in my crossbreed.

Bought a Kimber Raptor pro model with ambi safteys, for me at least calling that thumb "saftey" a "saftey" was an oxymoron! In my crossbreed in my fobus in my galco (all cover the trigger) the darn thing was always unlocking "off safe". Dident like that at all but covered trigger gaurd and thank god the grip saftey kept all safe.

I really thought I might find out just how in the hell I kept wiping it off----never did.

O.K. then I'll go with a single side saftey: two different gunsmiths said "removing a factory saftey" was a bad idea,someone might get sued! Yeah but if the darn thing gets wiped off by accident every couple of days then wouldent that be a accident waiting to happen? No way they wouldent remove it.

Found a 'smith with" god given common sense" that installed an Ed Brown low profile tactical saftey.
    The Kimber is now my daily carry since the Ed Brown was installed in May AND HAS NOT ONCE COME UNLOCKED unless its me wiping it off deliberatley.

VIP Member
    I'm also a lefty.....I have had a few times that the safety has come off while holstered...no big deal. I have had two incidents of the ambi-safety breaking. One occurred with a Kimberly & the other happened on a Springfield. In both incidents, it was the small tab that connects the left & rights sides of the safety together. I replaced both with a higher quality safety. Both guns that it happened to had been shot a lot.

I would like to see somebody come up with a better ambi, but in the mean time I'll still carry a 1911.

It is not just 1911s that I have had ambi problems either. I just had my FNP-45 tactical ambi-safety fail in a similar way.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have been carrying a Kimber stainless Pro Carry 1911 in Condition One for years in a Galco OWB holster. Never, ever had a problem. A friend recently purchased a similar gun but decided he wanted a leather retention holster where the strap went between the hammer and the firing pin. Every time he unsnapped the holster to take the gun out, he also accidently moved the safety to the off position. When I pointed it out to him, he made a flip comment about it being just one less step he had to do when he took out his gun. I then showed him the video making the rounds with a guy drawing his Kimber out of his retention holster and shooting himself in the thigh and leg.

If you are carrying a 1911 in condition one, as it is made to carry, make sure the safety does not go into the off position before you are ready to put it there. Change the holster or do whatever it is you have to do so you never end up shooting yourself.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links