Who carrys large caliber revolvers?

This is a discussion on Who carrys large caliber revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Knightrider She gets carried from time to time. Very nice. I carried a Model-28 when most everyone else in my department carried ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Who carrys large caliber revolvers?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post

She gets carried from time to time.
    Very nice. I carried a Model-28 when most everyone else in my department carried the 19. I'd love to have one just for old times sake. Oh well...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRLANT View Post
    I'm partial to my 6" Colt Python .357 mag with Gold Dot defense rounds.

What a great looking revolver...I REALLY like it.

When I'm not carrying my Glock-36, my Ruger SP101 in .357 comes along...I feel well protected at ALL times.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Why would anyone start such a thread let alone respond to it?

AND WITH PICS!!!

Now I dream about big bore sixguns in my sleep.......then daydream.......

Keep watching the hotel gunfight sean it the movie "48 hrs". Wanted a model 29 Smith ever since 1982 when the movie came out.

Now this thread.

Hurry up gunshow!

Quote Originally Posted by AIRLANT View Post
    I'm partial to my 6" Colt Python .357 mag with Gold Dot defense rounds.

Really nice.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I carried an S&W Model 58 .41 Magnum as a duty handgun during most of the late 1980s, and frequently toted it concealed when off the clock during that time. I briefly owned a .45 ACP Model 25-2 snubby during that time, but it rode less comfortably than a 4" sixgun, and when financial hard times hit, the big-bore snubby went away, along with most of my firearms, except for a very basic few. The old 58 is loose now, not able to pass the function test detailed in the sticky post at the top of this sub-forum. I well have it tightened and tuned, but I finally admitted to myself that my hands are not quite big enough to handle an N-frame well in DA shooting.

When I retire from policin' in the next two to eight years, and am free from PD policy that affects what I carry, 24/7, I may
    well carry a single action .45 Colt sixgun, made by Colt or USFA, at least some of the time. I already have a Milt Sparks
    Summer Special for the purpose.

A contender for big-bore concealed carry that I do have now is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, which falls within my employer's rules for off-the-clock weapons. With an original factory GP100 grip in place, it fits my hands superbly, and I can reach the trigger easily for DA shooting. It remains to be seen if it will find favor for urban concealed carry, as I have yet to purchase a rig for it. Just because it has a short snout does not make it small, however, so for now, I see the SRH Alaskan as a specialty weapon more so than a daily carry gun.

Contrary to what many may think, it is not difficult to comfortably carry a Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8 barreled revolver. A 255 grain lead bullet loaded to a moderate 1000 fps velocity speaks with authority and is much easier to shoot than .44 magnum. That being said, I usually take pity on the bad guys and only pack a .38 special snubby. It might take two shots instead of the one from the Blackhawk.
    bmcgilvray and TSKnight like this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crstrode View Post
    Contrary to what many may think, it is not difficult to comfortably carry a Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8 barreled revolver. A 255 grain lead bullet loaded to a moderate 1000 fps velocity speaks with authority and is much easier to shoot than .44 magnum. That being said, I usually take pity on the bad guys and only pack a .38 special snubby. It might take two shots instead of the one from the Blackhawk.

Having said that - I like big bores.

I don't generally carry them but would have no problem with the Bulldog .44 Special, the M69 .44 Mag, or even the ol' .41 LC Army Special.

Carrying a Blackhawk for SD is kinda silly, though.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

One reason I stick with carrying a .357 vs a .44 is, that I can shoot follow up shots more rapid and on target with the .357 ... than the .44.
    So, more rounds on target in a shorter time frame, vs a higher caliber round (that may not do any more that the .357) .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Does a Charter Arms .44 special (Bulldog) count as "large caliber"? If so? I do.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Does a Charter Arms .44 special (Bulldog) count as "large caliber"? If so? I do.
    It does to me for what that's worth
    When the zombies come I'll carry carry my Colt .357 on an old Sam Browne belt like Rick Grimes Loaded with Black Talons!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Hey Ghost tracker, how does that Bulldog compare to say a 38 snubby as far as controllable follow up shots? I can't find anyone who has one to rent but a local store has one for $319 (No tax here). Seems like a decent price to me. The gun feels pretty good and the trigger is not bad at all.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Hey Ghost tracker, how does that Bulldog compare to say a 38 snubby as far as controllable follow up shots? I can't find anyone who has one to rent but a local store has one for $319 (No tax here). Seems like a decent price to me. The gun feels pretty good and the trigger is not bad at all.
    I'm not ghost tracker, but IMHO the Bulldog is very controllable, compared to a lightweight .38 snubby. Definitely some stout recoil, but it's a very low-pressure cartridge, so more of a push than a snap.

Is that a new one you're looking at? $319 OTD is a steal. If I saw a new one (or even a real nice used one) at that price, I'd be taking it home.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array Buckeye63's Avatar

Charter 44spl 2.5 inch barrel 5 shot .. Slightly larger than a J frame ,, 21 oz

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I'm not ghost tracker, but IMHO the Bulldog is very controllable, compared to a lightweight .38 snubby. Definitely some stout recoil, but it's a very low-pressure cartridge, so more of a push than a snap.

Is that a new one you're looking at? $319 OTD is a steal. If I saw a new one (or even a real nice used one) at that price, I'd be taking it home.
    Thank you for the response. I believe its used or at least I assumed but, in like new condition. I have always been kind of intrigued by the Bulldog and I should have just bought it. That was 4 days ago so I may swing by tomorrow and see if its still available. Something kind of neat about a 44 special.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Distinguished Member Array Buckeye63's Avatar
    Theres bunches of great self defense 44spl ammo options .. For two and four legged predators ...
    forester58 likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links