Who carrys large caliber revolvers?

This is a discussion on Who carrys large caliber revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just sitting here thinking who carrys a large caliber revolver? Not 38s, Im talking large. More along the lines of 44 mag. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Who carrys large caliber revolvers?

I was just sitting here thinking who carrys a large caliber revolver? Not 38s, Im talking large. More along the lines of 44 mag. I personally dont think Id wanna carry something so big but I was just curious who does and what their reasons are.
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

IMO, .357 with +p ammo is just about the limit of what I want to shoot out of a short wheelie.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Sometimes I think I'd like a 44 Special, but the large caliber ammo is expensive. I really need to get into reloading.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I sometimes will carry my Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special, especially when I am outdoors hiking or doing a little fishing on a farmer's pond (with permission of course!).
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    .357mag Here, but 4 inch barrel. I might get a .44mag for a woods gun someday but not carry. .44Special is pushing it for two legged defense.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    During cold weather months, I carry a S&W 629 .44 Magnum, or sometimes a 657 .41 Magnum and on ocassion a 25-5 .45LC. All have 4" Bbls. and all fit the same Safariland shoulder holster. I just like having as much edge as possible.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Carry my Ruger .44mag Alaskan at least once a week.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I often carry my 4" 625 in .45 ACP. Its easy to shoot, has the finest trigger I have ever used, accurate and makes big holes.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I don't very often, but I have carried 4" 629s (both Mountain Gun and standard weight), 4" 624, 3" 629, 4" 625, and 4" .44 Special and .45 Colt Bowen .38-44 conversions. Most of the time, I'd rather have more rounds of 9x23, 10mm or .45 ACP in a lighter, flatter package, but for some reason, some days just seem like heavy revolver days.
    OD* likes this.

I occasionally carry an N frame 610 openly at work at the gunshop. I do it for mostly showing that revolvers are still good defense guns and for "don't see that everyday" bonus points.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I occasionally OC a 629 .44 mag, just because I can
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

A MagnaPorted 3" S&W 629 .44 Magnum "Trail Boss." I had Russ Elmore do an action job and it is smooth.............................

He'd worked over a couple of mine and the quality of work was enviable. Other gunsmiths were impressed which I thought was pretty cool.

Why the artillery? Besides just the idea of a snub-ish .44 Magnum makes me giddy.

I live in the country on an FM. FM means Farm to Market road. Livestock has the right of way. But still gets hit now and then. Have you seen the aftermath of a deer/car encounter? That's a 100 pound animal. Now drive the same speed and hit a 1200 pound cow; your car is really in bad shape but the cow is hurt, not dead. The pathetic mooing of an injured dying cow or the screaming (yes, almost human screaming) of an injured horse just hurts the brain. Thus the .44 Mag. If I have to put an animal down, I want it to be as fast as possible to end the suffering. The 240 gr JHPs should also work against two legged predators just as well.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I enjoy carrying big revolvers. My most recent acquisition is this Behlert customized S&W 25-2, she's about as handy as a big gun comes.

Dragman, INccwchris and jem102 like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

^^^^^NIce piece^^^^^^
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I sometimes carry my .44 special snubby or . 45acp compact.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links