Colt series 80 Officers ACP upgrades?

This is a discussion on Colt series 80 Officers ACP upgrades? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an unfired Colt Officers ACP that has been sitting around since the mid 80s. It would make a nice carry weapon for when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Colt series 80 Officers ACP upgrades?

I have an unfired Colt Officers ACP that has been sitting around since the mid 80s.
    It would make a nice carry weapon for when I don't want to carry a full size 1911 .
    Would like some upgrades for reliability, function and accuracy. Thinking trigger/action work, beavertail grip safety, barrel, throat and polish ramp and chamber, lower and flare ejection port, extractor/ejector work, sights, and hard chrome finish.
    Anybody done one like this? Who to send it to? Any idea on costs?
    Or should I even bother and just sell it and buy something else?
    Thanks
    Certified Infidel

These guys did a great job on my Colt series 80 Officers ACP
    GUNSMITH PRICING | APWCOGAN
    I got the:
    Action Job
    Lower ejection port
    INDUSTRIAL HARD CHROME
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    I have an unfired Colt Officers ACP that has been sitting around since the mid 80s.
    It would make a nice carry weapon for when I don't want to carry a full size 1911 .
    Would like some upgrades for reliability, function and accuracy. Thinking trigger/action work, beavertail grip safety, barrel, throat and polish ramp and chamber, lower and flare ejection port, extractor/ejector work, sights, and hard chrome finish.
    Anybody done one like this? Who to send it to? Any idea on costs?
    Or should I even bother and just sell it and buy something else?

Thanks
    Why not shoot it a bunch and see if it needs anything done to it?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Well, I was still undecided if I would just sell it, and wanted to keep it in good condition.
    Plus, This was a fairly early one, and I heard stories about sears breaking, and didn't want to risk it before it had been gone over.
    Certified Infidel

Can I ask you what it cost, and how it shoots now?
    Certified Infidel

OD*
    Well, I was still undecided if I would just sell it, and wanted to keep it in good condition.
    Plus, This was a fairly early one, and I heard stories about sears breaking, and didn't want to risk it before it had been gone over.
    I believe it is just that, stories. I had a first year production Officers ACP (1985) and it was an excellent little pistol that needed nothing, and have had several since, I've never had a problem with them.
    Bark'n likes this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I believe it is just that, stories. I had a first year production Officers ACP (1985) and it was an excellent little pistol that needed nothing, and have had several since, I've never had a problem with them.
    Well, that's comforting! It sure has an ugly finish to it , though.
    Certified Infidel

OD*
    Well, that's comforting! It sure has an ugly finish to it , though.
    On the early ones, Colt used Parkerizing, is yours an early model? You are correct, Parkerizing isn't very attractive, but it is very durable, IF, it's maintained the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    On the early ones, Colt used Parkerizing, is yours an early model? You are correct, Parkerizing isn't very attractive, but it is very durable, IF, it's maintained the way it should be.
    Yeah, it's an '85, parkeriized.
    Certified Infidel

If it fun toons well I would leave it alone.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I agree with others. If it runs good, don't fix it. And I've never heard of sears breaking on the OACP. Don't drop the slide on an empty chamber. Lower it manually so the hammer don't bounce on the sear. I own two OACP's and all I've ever done is buy spare recoil spring plugs "in case" one breaks. Have never broken one in 20 years though.

I've been shooting mine right out of the box with no mods since that model was first introduced. 23-25 years? Somewhere along there.

Probably got 35,000 rounds through it. Only replaced the springs and a barrel bushing IIRC.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    It needs a couple of range trips; put a couple boxes of FMJ through it and then switch to HP's to test function. If it runs reliably you are good to go. One thing about Colt's is they are sharp, you may want to have it smoothed over and any sharp edges broken, especially around the thumb and grip safety. Sights are another option if you want a better picture or some type of low light aid. After shooting it you should have a better idea of what needs to be done. My Colt runs 100% with whatever I feed it, but after firing my hands hurt from the sharp edges, that's just a Colt thing.

I have seen more than one recoil spring plug break and render the pistol inoperative. I'd upgrade that part first.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    If you want to make it nice, send it to Colt for the Tactical package. They do a lot of stuff, add night sights, refinish, trigger job, dehorn, etc. for $875. So you retain a lot of value in it because it was all factory work.
    Hakkaa pššlle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links