Kimber Solo... the search could be over.

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo... the search could be over. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; congrads to you i shot one ( that worked fine) when they 1st were released. than they were un-released. now is goodness again. seems i ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo... the search could be over.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    congrads to you

i shot one ( that worked fine) when they 1st were released. than they were un-released.
    now is goodness again.

seems i am passing up some nice items as i wait on a Boberg xr-9s.
    ...time will tell.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

That is an outstanding chart! I wish I had those for every firearm. I always try to do a comparison when considering giving a new piece a chance to be an EDC. But sadly it is always the round capacity that stops me from changing.

lang lebe glock!!!
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Curious why you'd have a PM9 and a Kimber Solo, if you already had a PM9 (smaller) - why bother with the Kimber?

Obviously you have your reasons, just genuinely curious what the thought process was whether it was just a want or if it's filling a hole in your arsenal.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a PM-9 and will likely own a Solo. I like my PM-9 a lot, but the only Solo I've handled had a better trigger, feels better in my hand, and seems to point a bit better than the Kahr. Also, for me, the tiny Kahr has a pinch point on the trigger that the Solo doesn't exhibit. Not a big deal, and it might not affect other people with differently configured fingers, but I do notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    That is an outstanding chart! I wish I had those for every firearm.
    There are a bunch of those around. Outstanding to compare size. Mostly for mouseguns.

See:
    http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Curious why you'd have a PM9 and a Kimber Solo, if you already had a PM9
    For me, I'm always interested in good looking firearms, often safe queens. Maybe some day I'll find the perfect one!
    I have a Seecamp, and I'm looking for a Desert Eagle 50 AE, so don't expect logic.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The SEARCH is NEVER over! There's always something else new out there.
    mr surveyor likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Why do we gotta bring the G26 onto it?! My EDC is the G26 but I do LOVE my Kimber .45 and if I could get away with carrying it I would. But that is because it has a 7+1 capacity.
    I love my 14+1 Kimber .45. Pro BP Ten II. Don't make 'em anymore, though...

Sounds very very nice...Kimber is "pretty".
    S&W 640-3

I got my Solo about a month ago and love it. The only ammo I shot was 115 grain and I didn't have any problems at all. It's an awesome gun and I was lucky enough to be the first on the call list when it came in. It still remains the only one my local shop has seen and they still gave me a great deal.

Kimber pulled these back. Glad to hear they are back up and running. When has yours built?

Quote Originally Posted by rnpollard View Post
    The phone rang on Saturday morning and it was a friend of mine that works at the local fun store. He told me that their sister store across the Georgi state line had a Kimber Solo in stock for about $700. I had a table at a gunshow and couldn't leave but it was on the top of my to do list on Monday.

I hit the store Monday and looked over the pistol cases... no Solo. I half expected. Another friend works at this store and I told him the rumor I'd heard. He smiled and went into the back and came back with it. A customer had wanted to put it on layaway but couldn't pay it off on time so it was available. The price was right so I jumped on it.

I picked it up last night brought it home. (They had to ship it home to Alabama before I could pick it up.) They only had 115 grain ammo for the little 9mm so I stopped at Wally World on the way home and they had WWB 147 grain JHP personal defense ammo for $20 a box so I picked up two boxes and headed to the range first thing this morning.

AWESOME gun with AMAZING accuracy! This morning I shot 40 rounds of the WWB and 20 rounds each of Hornady TAP in 147 and 124 grain JHP.

The sights are really good! Novak style and I had no problem with them at all. My first 5 rounds at about 7-10 yards could have been covered with a business card. I thought I had a flyer but it turned out to 4 and a double. It shot a little low but I'm going to put a few hundred rounds through it before I make any decisions on the sights.

Not a single hiccup. FLAWLESS! I love this pistol.

The only negatives are: The hot 147 grain rounds are stout in the recoil department. Kinda like holding an M-80. The only other issue is it is a bear to get 6 rounds in the magazine and the pressure on the slide with 6 rounds in the mag is significant.

At this point I am happy to carry this little beauty as a BUG in the pocket with 5 in the mag and 1 in the spout. I've order two more mags from Kimber.

Kimber got this little gun right. I am thrilled to be the proud owner. I've just decided to go back to 1911s after playing with Glocks for a few years and the 1911 ergonomics are sweet.

I've been looking for the perfect carry pistol. The search may be over.

DSC01396.jpgDSC01394.jpg
    Curious why you'd have a PM9 and a Kimber Solo, if you already had a PM9 (smaller) - why bother with the Kimber?

Obviously you have your reasons, just genuinely curious what the thought process was whether it was just a want or if it's filling a hole in your arsenal.
    I've just gone back to 1911s. The Kimber has the same ergonomics and truth be told I'd rather have an all metal gun. The trigger on the Kimber is a lot better as well.

When I carry a Kahr and a spare mag, the spare mag looses rounds. They simply fall out of the mag and end up in the bottom of my pocket. And, while the PM9 has been a solid gun I haven't had the same luck with my PM45. After many good rounds it suddenly started having problems. Literally in the middle of a range session.

I held a Kimber a while back and it just fit.

I will shoot them side by side over the next few weeks and let y'all know the results.

For now here are a couple of pictures of my Solo and the rig I made for it.

Topsblades@gmail.com

DAV and NRA Life Member

I just visited the Kimber web site.
    According to Kimber, they are not currently shipping new solos'.
    Maybe they are behind on their web site. I'd want to make sure mine was "new-new".
    They offer two models (when available) One is a two tone and one they call "Stainless"
    But they both have stainless slides and barrels, and aluminum frames. The "stainless" is a silver
    finish on the frame, but not stainless. (?)

It's a great looking gun. I may get one myself........someday.
    The web site suggests you contact John at Osage County Guns.
    He must be their go to guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rnpollard View Post
    When I carry a Kahr and a spare mag, the spare mag looses rounds. They simply fall out of the mag and end up in the bottom of my pocket.
    Are you carrying those spare mags in a PROPER mag carrier which securely covers the top of the mag(s)? I've never had a problem losing rounds in either of my two left pocket carried spare mags. Also, Kahr has improved magazines to prevent this, as well. Can't remember if they redesigned the mag tube or the follower to help in retaining the top round. Give Kahr a call and I'd bet they'd take care of you. They replaced all my old steel followers with the new (at the time) polymer ones for free. All six mags worth...

I like the solo, but I cant stand the thought of a safety. Does anyone pocket carry a solo? How does it pocket carry?
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I forgot to mention, the web site says it's S/A, but I don't see an external hammer.
    Does that mean you have to rack the slide to cock it? How do you make it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Are you carrying those spare mags in a PROPER mag carrier which securely covers the top of the mag(s)? I've never had a problem losing rounds in either of my two left pocket carried spare mags. Also, Kahr has improved magazines to prevent this, as well. Can't remember if they redesigned the mag tube or the follower to help in retaining the top round. Give Kahr a call and I'd bet they'd take care of you. They replaced all my old steel followers with the new (at the time) polymer ones for free. All six mags worth...
    I have 4 Kahr mags for my P-9 and ALL of them lose rounds in the bottoms of the mag holdesr, notice I say holderS yes several made for a 9mm so much so I just do not carry it. I ordered a 9mm mag holder from a vendor on this forum and was sent a 40 cal holder... they said it was my belt that makes the retention....right, I sent it back and asked them to redo it in 9mm, they did, they reformed it but did not re sew it to the smaller form.... I resewed it myself to make it snug. leather Holster from same guy is a whole nother story, resewed it too as the complete trigger side was open with nothing more than a set of screws keeping it partially closed, (the open design is not shown on his website) live and learn. will not make that mistake twice. If you want an awesome holster for the Solo look here, Product Info American statesmen
    I have one and should have gotton one for the P-9 too
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links