Kimber Solo... the search could be over. - Page 3

Kimber Solo... the search could be over.

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo... the search could be over. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Josey Wales I ordered a 9mm mag holder from a vendor on this forum and was sent a 40 cal holder ... ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo... the search could be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    I ordered a 9mm mag holder from a vendor on this forum and was sent a 40 cal holder... they said it was my belt that makes the retention....right, I sent it back and asked them to redo it in 9mm, they did, they reformed it but did not re sew it to the smaller form.... I resewed it myself to make it snug.
    Um, sounds like you still do NOT have a proper 9mm mag holster.

Ya know it now works for me. My wife said I should go into making these things because I could take all the best traits and put them together with quality service and a fair price, I would have a booming business!.
    I reckon sometimes you just gotta cut yer losses...did not care for the nonchalant reply of the maker and when I sent it back. It went to a different address and was returned from the same place with their so called repair... must not be making the stuff himself but farming it out. Shipping was on my dime with no offer from the maker.... I am in business too but I work to get repeat customers not one timers. I learned and next one will be from Wild Bills or Garret.
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Of these two....I did carry the R9, but I tell you the Solo is a shootin machine....I can shoot the bakein powder outa a buscuit with it.

Here are some size comparsions to the R9.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

On Friday, I'm going to the range to shoot my friend's Kimber Solo ... (I'm on the market for a 9mm pocket type pistol, already tried the Kahr) so I'm doing some personal research/comparison around Thanks for the pics and reviews. I'm looking forward for it

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    I like the solo, but I cant stand the thought of a safety. Does anyone pocket carry a solo? How does it pocket carry?
    In my eyes the 1911 is the perfect fighting hand gun. I carried mine cocked and locked the Solo's ergonomics are virtually the same. As I draw my thumb goes naturally to the safety and drops it as I transition to trigger. I never minded the thumb safety on my Colt CCO and I don't mind it on the Solo.

My wife has an LC9 and the Ruger safety is no where near as natural as the Solo's but she purse carries and I'm happy with the safety on her pistol as well.

Terrible photo of a great holster & pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    I have 4 Kahr mags for my P-9 and ALL of them lose rounds in the bottoms of the mag holdesr, notice I say holderS yes several made for a 9mm so much so I just do not carry it. I ordered a 9mm mag holder from a vendor on this forum and was sent a 40 cal holder... they said it was my belt that makes the retention....right, I sent it back and asked them to redo it in 9mm, they did, they reformed it but did not re sew it to the smaller form.... I resewed it myself to make it snug. leather Holster from same guy is a whole nother story, resewed it too as the complete trigger side was open with nothing more than a set of screws keeping it partially closed, (the open design is not shown on his website) live and learn. will not make that mistake twice. If you want an awesome holster for the Solo look here, Product Info American statesmen

I have one and should have gotton one for the P-9 too

I make "awesome holsters"! In fact if it isn't your favorite holster I'll buy it back (I've never had to buy one back)! I make them for Kahrs, 1911s, XD, M&P, Glocks and a few others.

TopsBlades@gmail.com

DAV and NRA Life Member

I am a one man show. You work with me directly. I answer email daily. I'm back in class now so it might take a week or two to get a rig made but it will be worth the wait!

So, your holster is pretty much a direct ripoff of the Crossbreed Supertuck with the "combat cut"...except your cant isn't adjustable...
    pocketgroove likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    So, your holster is pretty much a direct ripoff of the Crossbreed Supertuck with the "combat cut"...except your cant isn't adjustable...
    Thanks for your comment. If you haven't noticed several folks make holsters like this. Galco, Theis and several others do what I do, but btw they charge more. I've done custom work for people with disabilities and have sold my holsters at my cost when there has been a need. I don't generally don't have a waiting list. I guarantee 100% satisfaction.

The holster in the picture was one that I made for myself, so I didn't need it to be adjustable. I do offer my holsters with the ability to be adjusted for depth and cant. I made my first holster years ago when I couldn't afford a Crossbreed. I made knife sheaths for Mora knives and making a leather/horsehide holster was relatively easy. By doing my own holster I was able to get it just right for me at a fraction of the cost. When I eventually got a hold of a Crossbreed with a "combat cut" I still felt that it needed to be cut further to allow a full firing grip in the holster. If I had carried that holster I would have had to take a grinder to it to make it function the way that I felt like it should.

I am a retired Soldier and have been out of work for a couple of years due to service related disabilities. I make and sell a couple of holsters a month and that helps make ends meet. I showed my holsters to friends and they asked me to make one for them, so that is how it started.

I wouldn't dare to say that I am competition for Crossbreed but competition is part of what makes our country great. Ford made the first automobile, did Chevy "ripoff" Ford? Ruger LCP looks a lot like a Keltec... If someone wants to buy one of my holsters at a lower price how is that a problem?

I make custom holsters and sheaths. You can, within reason, request a specific hide, thickness, kydex, cant... you get the idea.

You can see some of my other work at: Pictures by TopsBlades - Photobucket
    surefire7 likes this.

By the way, I have to make a correction on an earlier post. I received an email from a gentleman who can't get used to IWB carry. I will be giving him his money back today.
    surefire7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rnpollard View Post
    Thanks for your comment. If you haven't noticed several folks make holsters like this. Galco, Theis and several others do what I do, but btw they charge more. I've done custom work for people with disabilities and have sold my holsters at my cost when there has been a need. I don't generally don't have a waiting list. I guarantee 100% satisfaction.

The holster in the picture was one that I made for myself, so I didn't need it to be adjustable. I do offer my holsters with the ability to be adjusted for depth and cant. I made my first holster years ago when I couldn't afford a Crossbreed. I made knife sheaths for Mora knives and making a leather/horsehide holster was relatively easy. By doing my own holster I was able to get it just right for me at a fraction of the cost. When I eventually got a hold of a Crossbreed with a "combat cut" I still felt that it needed to be cut further to allow a full firing grip in the holster. If I had carried that holster I would have had to take a grinder to it to make it function the way that I felt like it should.

I am a retired Soldier and have been out of work for a couple of years due to service related disabilities. I make and sell a couple of holsters a month and that helps make ends meet. I showed my holsters to friends and they asked me to make one for them, so that is how it started.

I wouldn't dare to say that I am competition for Crossbreed but competition is part of what makes our country great. Ford made the first automobile, did Chevy "ripoff" Ford? Ruger LCP looks a lot like a Keltec... If someone wants to buy one of my holsters at a lower price how is that a problem?

I make custom holsters and sheaths. You can, within reason, request a specific hide, thickness, kydex, cant... you get the idea.

You can see some of my other work at: Pictures by TopsBlades - Photobucket

First, thank you for your service! Like you, I am a disabled vet so I understand your financial picture and your generous spirit. America was built on spirit and competition. I'm in the market for a new holster so I'll be visiting you web site.

God Bless,

Mike
    surefire7 likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Mike,

Thanks for yours as well. Like I said I won't even begin to compare myself to the established makers but I am absolutely confident that I can make a holster that will meet all your needs. Shoot me an email at TopsBlades@gmail.com.

I appreciate your kind words and support,

Rick

I took the Kimber back to the range and fired half a box of Federal Hi Shok +p 115 gr and about a box of Magtech 115 gr FMJ. Again not a single hiccup. I shoot at paper plates at 7-10 yards with a black dot in the center. Routinely I hit the black dot 3 times out of 7. As this is a defense pistol I am more than pleased with accuracy. I also replaced the Hogue slip on with one from Pachmayr, the one designed for the little .380s and I like it a lot. The pistol stayed in my hand regardless of the round being fired.

I don't keep an exact count of the rounds that I fire through a gun but the Kimber has been flawless through at least 300 rounds. Additionally this time I loaded the magazine to its full 6 round capacity and fired 7 round strings without a hiccup.

Great gun!

HP
    I guess I got the red headed step child off the assembly line, because my review of the solo after my first range trip with it was an absolute nightmare. I left a review on another thread. The short version in numerous failure to ejects on each magazine, and a trigger that doesn't work. The pistol is spending the night with the gunsmith.

Here is the update on my Kimber Solo that I got back from Kimber after the 2nd time. The last time they replaced the barrel.

Took her to the range fired 60 rds of Golden Saber 124 gr.

Fired about 2 mags of double taps, 2 mags rapid fire as fast as I could pull the trigger. 2 mags of triple taps, the remainder slow fire.

GOOD NEWS

Not a single anything except bang, bang and more bang. I love this gun! The feel in your hand is so natural and the trigger is super nice...as compared to my Rohrbaugh....I like the SA trigger on the Solo better.

Two things for certain...this gun will not fire ball ammo nor 115gr. It is only a 124gr or a 147gr gun.
    I will run some more ammon through it...right now....I am a Happy Camper:D
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Two things for certain...this gun will not fire ball ammo nor 115gr.
    For me, that's a deal breaker right there. My Kahr PM9 has no problems with WWB or any other 115gr ball/target ammo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links