Kimber Solo... the search could be over.

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo... the search could be over. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The phone rang on Saturday morning and it was a friend of mine that works at the local fun store. He told me that their ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo... the search could be over.

Kimber Solo... the search could be over.

The phone rang on Saturday morning and it was a friend of mine that works at the local fun store. He told me that their sister store across the Georgi state line had a Kimber Solo in stock for about $700. I had a table at a gunshow and couldn't leave but it was on the top of my to do list on Monday.

I hit the store Monday and looked over the pistol cases... no Solo. I half expected. Another friend works at this store and I told him the rumor I'd heard. He smiled and went into the back and came back with it. A customer had wanted to put it on layaway but couldn't pay it off on time so it was available. The price was right so I jumped on it.

I picked it up last night brought it home. (They had to ship it home to Alabama before I could pick it up.) They only had 115 grain ammo for the little 9mm so I stopped at Wally World on the way home and they had WWB 147 grain JHP personal defense ammo for $20 a box so I picked up two boxes and headed to the range first thing this morning.

AWESOME gun with AMAZING accuracy! This morning I shot 40 rounds of the WWB and 20 rounds each of Hornady TAP in 147 and 124 grain JHP.

The sights are really good! Novak style and I had no problem with them at all. My first 5 rounds at about 7-10 yards could have been covered with a business card. I thought I had a flyer but it turned out to 4 and a double. It shot a little low but I'm going to put a few hundred rounds through it before I make any decisions on the sights.

Not a single hiccup. FLAWLESS! I love this pistol.

The only negatives are: The hot 147 grain rounds are stout in the recoil department. Kinda like holding an M-80. The only other issue is it is a bear to get 6 rounds in the magazine and the pressure on the slide with 6 rounds in the mag is significant.

At this point I am happy to carry this little beauty as a BUG in the pocket with 5 in the mag and 1 in the spout. I've order two more mags from Kimber.

Kimber got this little gun right. I am thrilled to be the proud owner. I've just decided to go back to 1911s after playing with Glocks for a few years and the 1911 ergonomics are sweet.

I've been looking for the perfect carry pistol. The search may be over.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on your new Solo! I've give a lot of thought to this particular gun. Sounds like you are very pleased.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

We want pics!

Congrats! Enjoy.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

That was at the top of my list when i started looking for a small 9mm. there seems to be nothing in the WI area and the kimber dealer here just laughed when i asked about it. his estimate was 18 months. i am happy with my CM9 though, and it would be nice to run them side by side for comparison. sounds great and can't wait to see pics.

Thumbs up keep the news coming and some pics

This is the nicest 9mm carry pistol I have seen in a long while. It is going to give the Kahr PM9 and Glock26 plenty of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolero_lo View Post
    This is the nicest 9mm carry pistol I have seen in a long while. It is going to give the Kahr PM9 and Glock26 plenty of competition.

I couldn't resist. As a former Kimber owner (3 CDP's), you're gonna' love it...congrats!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw it when first introduced and lusted for one.
    Then Kimber had problems and ceased production.
    I take it they are shipping new ones again?

How does the size compare to the PM-9?

Why do we gotta bring the G26 onto it?! My EDC is the G26 but I do LOVE my Kimber .45 and if I could get away with carrying it I would. But that is because it has a 7+1 capacity.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

GM
    Congrats on the Solo

Below are two charts created by los, a DC forum member. Sources: Compare Kimber Solo 9mm to Kahr PM9 & Kimber Solo 9mm Comparison Charts:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by GM; August 10th, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Justified likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

So it won't work with 115 grain ammo, so much for inexpensive practice. That's about all I can get at the wallyworld ammo dump. The pistol does interest me and I'm glad you like it. I just wish the aroma of coffee would find it's way into the sleepy nasal pasages at GLOCK.

Let's see some pics of your SOLO.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Congrats on the new Kimber. I assume this is Kimbers answer to a Kahr PM9, and if so, when does Kimber come out with their Solo CM so some of us po' folk can afford one?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Solo

Kimber's FAQ does have a list of recommended ammunition and there's several 115gr bullets on it. Having gotten a Solo in March I can tell you Kimber's customer service is great (2 returns and replacement) the Solo? not at all.

Thanks for the chart.
    It's almost identical to the Kahr PM-9
    But looks a lot better.

Curious why you'd have a PM9 and a Kimber Solo, if you already had a PM9 (smaller) - why bother with the Kimber?

Obviously you have your reasons, just genuinely curious what the thought process was whether it was just a want or if it's filling a hole in your arsenal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links