Glock Customization Feedback Needed

This is a discussion on Glock Customization Feedback Needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am ready to buy a Glock 20SF 10mm but I would like to get it with a Stainless Steel barrel and slide, and maybe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock Customization Feedback Needed

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Glock Customization Feedback Needed

I am ready to buy a Glock 20SF 10mm but I would like to get it with a Stainless Steel barrel and slide, and maybe also the guide rod or guide rod with recoil spring assembly. I have been looking at Lone Wolf parts on rockyourglock.com and other similar sites. Are there are any other manufacturers I should know or consider?

I would like to get some expert opinions before I do this.

The most important consideration in my mind is quality. I don't want to downgrade or in any way negatively affect the quality, reliability and performance of the original pistol. Any one has had this done to his/her Glock? What are the best parts for this type of customization? What's the best place/website to have this done? I would appreciate any feedback.

I would love to see pictures from anyone who had this done.

2. Remove Ads

The only Glocks I have ever seen fail were customized. Why exactly would you want to downgrade perfection?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    The only Glocks I have ever seen fail were customized. Why exactly would you want to downgrade perfection?
    I don't and I won't. If it makes the gun worst I won't. I know nothing about this; that's why I appreciate comments from people who know such as yours.

This will be of interest to you:

Polishing glock slide - Glock Talk

All I do is Trijicon night sights.

I am no expert.

VIP Member
    I added a trigger. It didn't really do all that much.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

The only way you're really gonna see an improvement is if you get a match barrel and have it hand fit by someone that knows what they're doing. When I carried glocks the only thing I did was put on sights and install a vickers mag release on a gen 3 gun. I'd leave the trigger alone unless it's going to be a gaming gun.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I am ready to buy a Glock 20SF 10mm but I would like to get it with a Stainless Steel barrel and slide, and maybe also the guide rod or guide rod with recoil spring assembly. I have been looking at Lone Wolf parts on rockyourglock.com and other similar sites. Are there are any other manufacturers I should know or consider?

I would like to get some expert opinions before I do this.

The most important consideration in my mind is quality. I don't want to downgrade or in any way negatively affect the quality, reliability and performance of the original pistol. Any one has had this done to his/her Glock? What are the best parts for this type of customization? What's the best place/website to have this done? I would appreciate any feedback.

I would love to see pictures from anyone who had this done.
    Are you planning on this being a carry gun or a range gun/safe queen?

I'd be very very careful on the customization list if it's going to be carried, as at the very least it's time wasted that a good lawyer is spending debunking the myths a prosecuting attorney is trying to spread to the jury to make you look bad to get a win, don't want a good shoot to be side tracked by claim of intent with your "suped up" handgun.

If it's for the range, Stainless slide is cosmetic, but if the tolerances are the same theoretically no change (is it replacement or a look alike treatment to a Glock factory slide?, how it's made might affect the durability in the multiples of tens of thousands of rounds, breach face being my biggest concern. Slide weight change might complicate things. The barrel and slide you give up the tenifer durability, this includes protection from rust due to sweat humidity ocean air etc. if it's a range gun, it should be fine in the safe and extra care can be taken to protect the condition of the metal, same as with a 1911 for instance. What specifically are you looking at for recoil springs? The Glock is designed around recoil operation and changing that speed can cause issues (just ask those with the first round of gen4 recoil springs shooting light load 9mms), change the speed and you might be ok, you make create a whole headache of issues on the extraction and feeding side of things. Stainless guide rod on a polymer frame, where the frame is thinner, after several thousand rounds that might start to seriously worry me with the extra pressure from a different hardness material could be causing frame stress and abrasion. Glock is very much (though not completely) a polymer to polymer, metal to metal design. But if your slide weight is significantly different you may need to change the recoil spring to get the slide speed right, it's always going to be at the very least a multiple variable algebra problem.

Nothing flags as you put it on and the gun all of the sudden won't work, after all it is a Glock. The recoil spring to a non factory spec raises the biggest concern, but aftermarket suppliers have large crowds and do their own bit of R&D; but just like modifying a car, the more you change the more you deviate from the design the higher your risk gets over the long term. If it's a range gun that sees a few hundred rounds a year, is well kept and you enjoy it then no big deal and a decade from now you may want to change it up anyways; if it's an everyday carry gun, my personal concerns are cause of thought if not an outright walk away from it. I am of the Glock Perfection crowd, I think that 20 years of engineering R&D and hundreds of thousands of field tested guns says something. From my armorers course, I understand why different things were done in the design. I stick to factory connectors, NY trigger springs, I prefer the grooves and curve of the Target Trigger with trigger bar, and a few select night sight options, light and laser and there is nothing else I could want; I know not everyone agrees with that and you may decide to chunk my opinion because I'm disclosing this bias, but I am trying to provide a more comprehensive opinion than Glock = Perfection end of story.

What are your end goals to accomplish with the mods, is it just to looks or is there a performance gain you are seeking? Softer shooting? Faster cycling? Have the barrel settle down on target faster? Change the balance of the gun in your hand? Links with specs to the exact parts you're looking at?
    TonyDTrigger likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

I think the first thing you should look at is maybe an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber for shooting full house 10mm loads. I went with a Lonewolf barrel. Could not be more happy with it.

Second thing I would suggest for your 10mm is maybe a Wolff Recoil Rod, with a 22 lb spring. Other than that, I would keep it stock until you figure out what works for you.

At the same time, unless you are a re-loader (and are wanting to push the 10mm to it's limits), or are planning on running nitrous 10mm rounds, aka Double Tap, or Swamp Fox loads through your gun.....then the above mentioned mods are not necessary. The majority of 10mm rounds on the market are pretty watered down.

Here is my 2nd gen 20:

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Are you planning on this being a carry gun or a range gun/safe queen?

I'd be very very careful on the customization list if it's going to be carried...
    ^^ this. What's the purpose of the gun?

I picked up a G23 a couple months back. Here's what I changed:

• Glock factory extended slide release
    • 8# trigger connector (factory is 5# - I wanted the extra idiot proofing)
    • Night sights
    • About 500 rounds of ammo at this point

I bought it for carry purposes when I feel that my LCR doesn't have enough boom to go around, and it also serves as my nightstand gun (I should add that I also got a TLR-1 for nightstand duties, though that's not exactly a mod).

Do this: Buy the G20, then run a few hundred rounds through it. If it's got deficiencies (which it probably won't), then fix them. If it's a carry gun, I wouldn't touch an aftermarket recoil spring with a ten foot pole. Barrel? Maybe, but likely only if I didn't like the accuracy or I was trying to change the caliber (or attach a supressor/flash hider/comp/other tacticool lump of metal).
    G23 4g + Palmetto Tactical Gear full kydex + Crown Holsters tuckable IWB clips
    Ruger 10/22 + safe
    S&W 15-22 + safe
    Stag Arms M8 + closet

Administrator
    The factory GLOCK barrels already are the equivalent of "Match Grade" barrels.
    You will not shoot better than a factory GLOCK barrel. They ARE some of the finest and most precise and accurate factory barrels in a production firearm. I say that giving credit where credit is due...me...being a Colt 1911 guy.

The only reason that I would "swap out" a factory GLOCK barrel for an "aftermarket" would be to shoot LEAD reloads.

But, (of course) the factory barrels are not Stainless.

Probably your very best (& as a huge plus) least expensive option would be to have the existing excellent quality factory GLOCK slide and barrel refinished in satin Industrial Hard Chrome or Electroless Nickel and then just add a high quality aftermarket guide rod.

Hard Chrome

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Now...you could go for one of the TSD Combat Systems Non-Reflective Stainless Finish Slide/barrel with the machined in optical Red Dot rear sight for a mere $1299.99
    They are looking real good if you're wanting an optic GLOCK.

Made of 17-4 stainless steel, at a thorough hardness of RC 46, to exacting tolerances by aerospace technicians, to exceed the match quality requirements of TSD Combat Systems, these upper end units exceed the quality, reliability, and accuracy of any after-market components to the extreme, and surpass the hardness and durability of OEM units, with an impeccable flat stainless steel finish.

Performance without compromise. Quality without excuses. Delivery without drama.

That is what has driven TSD since inception. That is what drives us today, and that is what we promise our customers. TSD Combat Systems - "Eyeball accuracy at room distances with 100% reliability, and first round hits at 100 yards with unsurpassed elegance". Guaranteed!
    These TSD Combat Systems Match Quality Slides come complete with -

Trijicon RMR RM02
    All Slide Internals
    TSD Combat Systems Match Barrel
    Assembled and finished in a Flat Non-Reflective Stainless Steel by our TSD Technicians
    It is packaged in a TSD/Pelican Case

Like Yankeejib said,change Glocks original design,it starts to fail,There is a guy on E-bay who will polish the original slide and barrel,looks like stainless,but still has the tenifer in the metal,best of both worlds.
    joker1 and TonyDTrigger like this.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I own 13 or 14 Glocks, in 9mm, .40 and 10mm. As an inveterate gun tinkerer and a long-time carrier and match shooter, I think that there are things most Glocks do need as enhancements. Here's what I usually do on one I intend to carry: 3.5 lb. connector with NY-1 trigger return module (gives a more DA-like pull of around 6-7lbs and less felt overtravel), steel sights (either tritium dot front and Novak rear or all-black Novaks), and sometimes, a steel recoil spring guide rod. Does a Glock necessarily "need" these to make it fit to carry? Of course not. Do these additions enhance the gun? For me, you betcha! And, there is absolutely no reason why any of these minor mods should make it less reliable.

On a match gun, I usually add the 3.5 lb. connector with standard trigger spring, and on either match or carry guns, I polish a number of internal engagement surfaces. And yes, a Bar-Stobarrel, properly fitted , WILL make it more accurate without sacrificing reliability, but factory Glock barrels are already lots more accurate than most shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    What are your end goals to accomplish with the mods, is it just to looks or is there a performance gain you are seeking? Softer shooting? Faster cycling? Have the barrel settle down on target faster? Change the balance of the gun in your hand? Links with specs to the exact parts you're looking at?
    Honestly I just like the 2 tone look.

Not for carry, too big. The 20sf will be for HD. Any simpler alternatives? I am leaning towards just getting night sights. I could get a G29SF with the extra $$ I save. Nice comments, thx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links