Carry Combinations...

Carry Combinations...

This is a discussion on Carry Combinations... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. When I was a uniformed police officer, I tried always to carry a BUG secreted away should my duty pistol be taken, run dry, ...

Thread: Carry Combinations...

1951 - 2011

Carry Combinations...

Hello. When I was a uniformed police officer, I tried always to carry a BUG secreted away should my duty pistol be taken, run dry, etc. For several years, the BUG was a Kahr K9, but I just never could "warm up" to it. I tried a Glock 26 as well, but the one that backed up my Hi Power more than any other was the simple S&W J-frame .38 Special. Partially supported by the top of my duty boots and carried in an ankle rig, it was easy enough to forget that it was even there. In colder months, it sometimes rode in my left-side uniform jacket pocket.

For several years, this was my usual handgun carry combination for work.

This Glock 26 rode many a mile with me, but it was just never comfortable enough. Intellectually, it makes more sense than the 5-shot .38 Special, but in the end simple preference won out over intellect. I think that at least some of the time this happens to more than a few of us.

These days I sometimes find myself carrying the Ruger SP101 loaded with .357 magnum Corbon 125-gr. DPX, backed up by a well-used S&W Model 642 loaded with Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P. The same speed loader works with either revolver, but necessitates being loaded with the .38 Special load.

How about you? For those who sometimes tote more than one, what combinations have you come to prefer?

Best.

VIP Member
    Excellent one-two combos sir.....I currently carry my agency-issued SIGARMS P229 in .40 S&W. Prior to that, my off-duty combo consisted of two Kahr 9mms: (L) P9 Covert and (R) PM9

They both use the same six-round 9mm magazine; shared identical manual-of-arms; were unobtrusive carry guns; accurate; and reliable.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

That's been one of my problem's Stephen, I can't decide or as you say "warm up" to a bug I like enough to carry. My primary is a 1911 but I just haven't found the right bug yet. The more I look the more I fall back on a simple J frame S&W. I have looked at the Kahrs and have yet to leave a gun shop with one. So I will be looking at this closely and I am glad you started this thread. I need some idea's.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Ti Carry - I had the same problem till I picked up a 3913. Slim, light, 8+1 147 grain Black Talons or Ranger T. Rides in an Uncle Mikes size 15 IWB on my right hip (I'm a lefty). I have to check frequently to make sure it's there. I like it so much, I've started wearing it on court days as a primary. Good luck with your search. Regards 18DAI.

Quote Originally Posted by 18DAI
    Ti Carry - I had the same problem till I picked up a 3913. Slim, light, 8+1 147 grain Black Talons or Ranger T. Rides in an Uncle Mikes size 15 IWB on my right hip (I'm a lefty). I have to check frequently to make sure it's there. I like it so much, I've started wearing it on court days as a primary. Good luck with your search. Regards 18DAI.
    Got a pic? I am not familer with a 3913, is this a S&W? I'm interested.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

main duty weapon is a S&W 4043 with ranger's and as a BUG a bersa .380 with hydro shock.

Hey Ti, I'm with you on this one. A 1911 commander as primary and a J frame with +P for a BUG. I've tried to "warm up" to smaller offerings from Kahr, KelTec, NAA etc. Can't seem to hold on to 'em or something, I don't know. The J Frame just works and I've pumped enough rounds through it to be comfortably accurate and fast with it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Ti Carry - Sorry, no capability for pics at this time. Go to S&W forum, there are pics there. Gunbroker usually has some up as well. The Gun Zone has an article on the 3913NL, which is basically the Ladysmith without the laser etching. Great 9mm pistol IMHO. Regards 18DAI.

Assistant Administrator
    Primary 226 but BUG is either a constant NAA mini in .22 mag or sometimes R9. Both suit pocket and that is somewhat the determining factor altho R9 can do OK in ankle rig.

Steve - your choices are very sound.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

los
    Rohrbaugh R9s and Seecamp LWS32. Soon,..triple combo to include a Seecamp LWS380. My Rohrbaugh is carried in a modified K&D OWB Defender that also works extremely well in front pocket carry. The LWS32 is carried in a RJ Hedley back pocket holster.

I anticipate carrying the LWS380 in a Null SMZ Rig or the custom leather mini shoulder rig currently being built by Mark Garrity.

Last edited by los; August 5th, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    Got a pic? I am not familer with a 3913, is this a S&W? I'm interested.

Ti.
    The S&W 3913 is one of the best auto pistols made by S&W IMHO.

There were three versions of the gun:
    - standard 3913 ( http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=53697859 ),
    - Ladysmith ( http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=53394866 ), and
    - "NL" ( http://www.thegunzone.com/3913nl.html ).

There were also a DAO (3953) (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=53711766 ) and blued steel (3914) versions.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

(Non LEO, here.) For years, I've run a SW 442 Airweight .38 in the left-side pocket. Am now in the process of changing the combination. Have just picked up a CZ P01 9mm compact, and am working out my BUG piece ... to be either a KelTec P3AT 380ACP or a Kahr PM9 9mm. Right now, the P01 and P3AT are at the gunsmith for a bit of wipin' and polishin' (reliability tuning). Assuming the P3AT shoots well over a couple thousand rounds, that may well take over BUG status. Otherwise, it's the Kahr PM9 as BUG.

I'm very partial to 9mm +P, given the range of fine guns that take this load. Light, concealable, capacity. That's why the Kahr PM9 is so attractive, plus it would be in the same caliber as the primary. Still, for go-anywhere duty, I'm finding it hard to compete with the KelTec P3AT.

Current: CZ P01 9mm compact in K&D Laredo Defender OWB belt holster; KelTec P3AT 380ACP in K&D Pocket Defender Plus.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links