Any alternatives to the Springfield Armory XD Subcompact?

This is a discussion on Any alternatives to the Springfield Armory XD Subcompact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Juanderful Thanks for all the help guys. I've checked out a few other alternatives, but I keep coming back to the XD9sc, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any alternatives to the Springfield Armory XD Subcompact?

Quote Originally Posted by Juanderful View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. I've checked out a few other alternatives, but I keep coming back to the XD9sc, as it has all the features I need.

I guess I'm going to end up getting one within the month if nothing else comes up. Hopefully it's as good as everyone says it is. :D
    Rent one and drop 100 rounds through it! then you will have a feel and make your own judgment call.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeTX View Post
    Rent one and drop 100 rounds through it! then you will have a feel and make your own judgment call.
    Exactly right! Don't totally depend on what others say. I love my XD-9 service model but for a smaller gun, try a Glock 26/27, CZ Rami then get the one that feels best and you shoot best. Enjoy the search then enjoy shooting!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Agreed.

Yes, renting one may cost a few bucks or twenty. Yes, that much ammo will likely run you at least $25. Then you have to figure in range-fees. But you honestly owe it to yourself to find out.

To me, not doing this would be akin to not test-driving a car before you buy it. Unthinkable.

Also, check out the XDm line-mate if you can. You don't have to necessarily rent the exact copy, just so that you can feel the subtle difference with the grips: some people can feel it, others cannot - similarly, to some, the ability to change the back-strap on the XDm is an important feature, to others, less so or even not so at all.

cj
    Thanks for all the help guys. I've checked out a few other alternatives, but I keep coming back to the XD9sc, as it has all the features I need.
    Need? It's more what you want...but consider...if grip safeties were the end-all of safeties...why can't you find more options with them? Perhaps a decent class might be in order to familiarize yourself more with carrying and shooting, then you might be in a better position to decide what you actually need rather than focusing on a single, relatively trivial, option. It seems a little like deciding to buy a certain model of car because you need gull-wing car doors.

Yes, definitely try to test fire any before buying.

You couldn't buy my XD - SC from me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

love my sub and all 4 xd's i own

CDH
    I've basically narrowed it down to the Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 9mm. Though, before dropping the money on one, I'd like to ask you people who are more knowledgeable if there are any alternatives to the XD9sc that includes this one feature:

Grip safety = I've looked at Glocks which don't have any manual safety features. And I've also looked at a number of other guns from S&W to Ruger which only seem to have thumb safeties. I realized that the grip-safety is my favorite type of safety, so I'd definitely want an alternative that has this feature.

If there are any, how do they compare to the XD9sc? Some other things that are important for me: ammo capacity (XD9sc has 13 which is great), 9mm caliber, trigger safety, as compact as possible, accurate, and it has to be reliable!

Thanks in advance :)
    I love my XD9SC and have become an XD fanboy. I no longer will consider a Glock when I want another XD(M) pistol, and I now have three of them; the XD9SC, XD45/4", and XDM9.
    One thing I really like about the XD9SC from the very beginning (I've had it more than a couple of years) is that you can use the full length mags in them where you get a full size grip plus the extra capacity that comes with that full size grip. Sure, it's then a "bigger" pistol, but what's great is that you have a choice of how you want to carry it.
    I also did some research about the XD action and found a really interesting article that explains why I think it's probably the safest pistol to carry. I refuse to carry any self-defense pistol that has a manual safety, and the XD is a perfect "point and shoot" pistol that needs no thinking before putting it into action.
    As far as reliability, I can honestly say that NONE of my three XD's have ever misfired for any reason... period. They have been my most dependable semi-auto pistols that I have ever owned.
    For those not sure about the XD and XDM Springfields, read through this and you will learn more about them than you thought you wanted to:
    HandGunInfo.com: SIG357: Springfield Extreme Duty XD Pistol: SA/DA Trigger Discussion and Pistol Review

eb
    When I bought my XD9SC I was waffling between that and a Glock 26 for about 10 minutes. I went with the XD because it just felt better in my hand ergonomically. As someone said above, you couldn't buy mine from me either. :) Its been just an awesome gun with ZERO issues.

You XD is a great choice.
    I went with the Walther PPS (in .40 caliber).

Get the one you want.

G.

OP - Like all safety features, the grip safety can become a double-edged sword. I know a member of another forum who posted that, during competition, he flubbed his draw, did not get a perfect grip, and his XD would not fire. It took him a few seconds to realize that his hand had not engaged the grip safety properly. In this case, it merely cost him the stage. On the street, it could have been worse.

My preference is for no external safeties at all on my carry pistols. Less to go wrong mechanically, and less chance of the gun not firing when I really want it to. The trade off I am willing to make is that I must absolutely treat my carry pistols with the respect a deadly weapon deserves. I am OK with that.

Choose as you wish - just wanted to provide a different perspective.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I was thinking along the same lines as the OP when I got my first (and only, still) handgun for SD. I went with the XD because of the safety features and proven reliability. Like you, I really like the idea of the grip safety in conjunction with the trigger safety and chamber/cocking indicators.

At first I was going to get the SC, but decided on the service model. I knew that I would probably not carry the small magazine, so I opted for the full grip and slight barrel extension. Either way, it is a great gun, and I wouldn't have changed my purchase to this day.

Unlike the post above, I cannot grip this gun in a manner that does not engage the grip safety. You have to be holding the gun terribly, terribly wrong for this to happen.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I prefer the Glock 26 myself. I would suggest the XD if you need a grip safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links