SP101 9mm on Gunbroker

This is a discussion on SP101 9mm on Gunbroker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’ve been interested in getting my first revolver and want to get an SP101. I am thinking about getting one of the older discontinued 9mm ...

Thread: SP101 9mm on Gunbroker

SP101 9mm on Gunbroker

I’ve been interested in getting my first revolver and want to get an SP101. I am thinking about getting one of the older discontinued 9mm SP101s.

Gunbroker seems to be my best bet to find one and I want to do a price check. One auction for a 2 ¼” 9mm SP101 ended at a price of $630 earlier in the week. There is another one with a buy it now for $850 and a reserve price that wasn’t met the first time it was auctioned. That one seems overpriced.

But would paying $630 to $650 seem like too much?

There is currently another 9mm SP101 with a 3” barrel up for auction that is currently at $605 and probably going up.

Ruger SP101 9mm Parabellum 3" Stainless Revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Tell me your thoughts.

Thanks
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

I would get the one with the longer barrel. There were fewer of those made, and IMHO, are more of a collectors item than the 2.2" barrel......if you were to decide to turn around and sell it in the future.

Not sure why you would ever want to sell it though.

I would get the 6-shot 327. That round seems to be about the equivalent of a 9mm and you could save 200 bucks. Of course you wouldn't have as many ammo options as you would with the 9mm.

I loved my SP101 in 357 for as long as I had it. Sold it since it was my only 357 and I wanted to slim my ammo supplies into leaner and meaner. The prime draw of the 9mm is the hi-cap aspect for a semi auto, obviously negated in a revolver. I'd get the 357 and carry or shoot primarily 38's, 38 +P's or 357's. Even the lowly 38 offers more stopping power given decent shot placement than most nines at least versus the capacity issue.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Can't answer your question regarding fair market prices but I can offer another option. If you are looking for a CC revolver you can also look around for an S&W m940. They were a 2" hammerless similar to the m642. Not necessaily any cheaper than the Ruger but another choice. Too many guns on Gun Broker that are listed with reserve prices. I don't waste my time with anything having a reserve. You know what your lowest acceptable price would be so start the bidding there. Why should I have to guess how much you want for it.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    That's too high. Buy any new S&W or Ruger 38/357 revolver, have a real gunsmith cut the cylinder for moon clips and you're in business for 3 way ammo. 38, 357 and 9mm.
    Buds did have some S&W snubbies already cut for 9mm for about $360 shipped that I wanted real bad but I was unemployed and now part timing so could not get one.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Well that has caught my interest. I don't want to hijack rammerjammer's thread though so I'll start a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I’ve been interested in getting my first revolver and want to get an SP101. I am thinking about getting one of the older discontinued 9mm SP101s.

Gunbroker seems to be my best bet to find one and I want to do a price check. One auction for a 2 ¼” 9mm SP101 ended at a price of $630 earlier in the week. There is another one with a buy it now for $850 and a reserve price that wasn’t met the first time it was auctioned. That one seems overpriced.

But would paying $630 to $650 seem like too much?

Tell me your thoughts.

Thanks
    Suggested retail on a new SP101 is $629, I saw several in .357 at the gun show in the $579 range. I don't know anything about the 9mm version, but my 2.25" SP101 just loves +p 38s as well as .357 loads. Good luck on your decision, but the price sounds too high, especially if you still have to include shipping and possibly FFL fees.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I paid $499 for my new SP101 in .357. What a great gun. I enjoy shooting it much more than my Smith 442, and carry it anytime I might think about the Smith. The Smith has been relegated to the cookie jar.

Links