I Take It All Back! - Page 2

I Take It All Back!

This is a discussion on I Take It All Back! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What a gal! I empathize -- My young bride is dead on with her FN-P9 and her S&W 10-5. I feel much safer knowing she's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Take It All Back!

What a gal! I empathize -- My young bride is dead on with her FN-P9 and her S&W 10-5. I feel much safer knowing she's there to protect me!
    Last edited by rodc13; August 5th, 2006 at 11:23 AM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Wow! Excellent shooting...did you teach her, George?
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    You ever notice that a lot of women can shoot,and shoot well? Most are not worried about making a impression on anyone. They tend to focus on the target area more, not just the target. And IMHO the .357sig has less felt recoil than the .40s&w does.
    The first time I took my wife shooting (while we were dating) she put the first 7 rounds from my Combat Commander inside a 3.5 inch circle at 7 yds. It was then I knew that it was love.

My mother surprised me too. All the while I was growing up Mom showed little interest in firearms of any kind. She wasn't against them, just indifferent. After she and my Dad divorced she moved from California back to North Carolina. I got stationed in Florida and drove up to visit. I was awoken one morning to gunshots outside. Mom had a .22 pistol and was picking off rabbits in the vegetable garden. One shot each. We had a rabbit dinner that night.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

"Don't fuss with your contractor" was good advice from Schmidt (Homer Smith) in Poitier's classic Lilies Of The Field film. Guess we'd best add to that: "Don't fuss with momma when she's on the 9mm." Great shooting. (Please) tell her I said that ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Wow! Excellent shooting...did you teach her, George?
    I am too smart to try to teach my wife to shoot. Really, she shot only a few times with me before we took the NRA Basic Pistol Course with James Hester in Northport, AL. Her expertise is the product of her abilities and work and the training provided by James.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Tell her "nice shooting" from me! That is great! Gotta' love those SIGs!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Doc, you are lucky, and respectful. I started my wife with air pistols in silhouette; she holds 3 NRA national womens records. Then she tried combat shooting. All of the guys there are VERY nice to her. Lets not let our wives get together and get mad' we wouldn't stand a chance!

Yo Swifity to bad you don't shoot as good as your wife Remember I helped to teach her and you helped teach my ex ( she can't shoot either
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    You ever notice that a lot of women can shoot,and shoot well? Most are not worried about making a impression on anyone. They tend to focus on the target area more, not just the target. And IMHO the .357sig has less felt recoil than the .40s&w does.
    My wife carries a Sig 239 in .40S&W.

As for teaching females to shoot, I have found them all, without exception, easier to teach then men. I think part of it is women have not developed bad habits that men have. For instance, most men who have not shot very much tend to anticipate recoil & flinch or jerk the trigger. Women on the other hand, don't seem to have this issue (or at least it is less pronounced).

Another thing that women don't have a problem with is EGO. Most men have the attitude that they are the masters of everything & don't need or take advice as well as women.

I've taught as many women as men & by far would rather deal with women since they are easier to teach. Women also tend to be more natural shooters, the techniques seem to stick with them better since a lot of men are more worried about being 'cool'.

My wife is good with a pistol, my mother (all 5'1" of her) is great with a shotgun & my daughter is great with an AR (she's an Army MP).
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Another thing that women don't have a problem with is EGO. Most men have the attitude that they are the masters of everything & don't need or take advice as well as women.
    Agreed! On our courses I have had every time I expect, at least one macho/arrogant guy - the ladies are fine and eager to learn - and shoot well!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I started my wife with the Ruger MkII. She struggled for a bit...but by the time we left the range, she was passable. Now she's good with the .22 and the Taurus 85 (.38Spl snub), of all things! When she gets her chosen caliber (9mm), and a little trigger time, she'll be even more capable.

One of my friends taught his wife to shoot. She even got into IPSC for a while. Funny thing is...as she gets frustrated or angry...her groups tighten up! She's good to start with.

George, send a "Ma'am, Yes, Ma'am" to your wife from me.

There's one less female that will take some baboon's guff!

Oh...my wife like the rubber grips (Hogue's), too.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links