Cutting 38/357 cylinders for 9mm moon clips

This is a discussion on Cutting 38/357 cylinders for 9mm moon clips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This subject was mentioned on someone elses thread and I thought I would see what I could find out about it. I'm guessing that it's ...

This subject was mentioned on someone elses thread and I thought I would see what I could find out about it. I'm guessing that it's a matter of turning down the cylinder on it's rearmost face enough to give sufficient clearance for the clips. Are there any safety issues this can cause. With that extra spacing could this result in split cases or seperating rims when firing 38 or 357 ammo. I'm thinking specificly of a mod like this on a 2" hammerless so a slight loss of accuracy at 25+ yards is not necessarily a concern. Assuming that the extractors would need cutting also can it result in any extraction problems when firing the rimmed cases. I just like the idea of being able to use a different type of ammo in a pinch, especially since 9mm ammo is almost everywhere. I realize that moon clips can be kind of fragile.

Some of your questions are answered on the bottom of this page:

Pinnacle-Guns.com: Pinnacle High Performance Custom Gunsmithing

I have multiple Smith revolvers that are cut for moon clips. While mine are all factory jobs, TK Custom does a wonderful moon clip conversion. There should be no safety concerns, and extraction is unaffected. HOWEVER, these moon clip conversions are done to allow moonclipping the ammo for which the gun was made, not for caliber substitutions. 9x19 cases are materially larger in diameter than are .38/.357 cases, so the chambers would need to be reamed to a larger diameter. .38 and .357 cases would then bulge or split when fired in the oversize chambers. 9x19 web diameter is nominal .391", .38/.357 is .379".

I did not realize there was such a significant difference in the case size between the 38/357 and the 9mm. According to Pinnacle the rimmed cases would fire but apparantly good luck getting them back out. They do state that they can provide a second cylinder allowing the use of both types of ammo but, switching out cylinders is not as convenient as simply employing moon clips like I had originaly envisioned. Their conversion is still cheaper than buying an original Smith or Ruger in 9mm.

Another option is to buy a Taurus 905:

Taurus 905 9mm 2" Blue $348.00 SHIPS FREE

I know that some think Taurus Revolvers are total POS, but I have had great luck with the three Taurus revolvers I have bought.

VIP Member
    I guess if you want different ammo in the same handgun you need to go the fol routes:
    1. Ruger blackhawk .357/9mm convertible
    2. Ruger blackhawk .45 convertible
    3. S&W 610 10mm/.40 S&W

The blackhawk cylinders are easy to change. With the 610 the 40 must use the moonclip and it is best to use the clip with
    10mm, though you could poke the case out with a pencil.

TK Custom also did mine. Excellent work, and a fast turn.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

I will state I have no experience shooting the shorter 9mm in a cylinder designed for a .38/.357 but I know many .45ACP revolver shooters use reloaded GAP brass and it performs fine. In fact it shoots very light and accurate.

Links