Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s?

This is a discussion on Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The chrome commander is now on order along with some pachmayr grips. Went ahead and got a theis too, they came highly recommended....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s?

The chrome commander is now on order along with some pachmayr grips. Went ahead and got a theis too, they came highly recommended.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LAglocks View Post
    The chrome commander is now on order along with some pachmayr grips. Went ahead and got a theis too, they came highly recommended.
    cool.....but of course you will provide some Glamour shots and range report when received. Required.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

One of the beautiful things about a 1911 is the way parts can be changed and interchanged. I bought a RIA 1911 and it came with the ugliest grips I had ever seen on a gun. I happened to have had a pair of grips that I had taken off an expensive 1911 that I upgraded the grips on and installed them on the RIA. Made the gun look hot and a lot more expensive than the $425 I had spent to buy the gun brand new.

If you find a good basic frame and slide combination, you can always change the grips, hammer, back strap, or anything else you decide and usually end up with a very nice gun for a lot less than the high dollar puppies floating around.

My EDC gun is a Kimber Pro Carry in Stainless. I upgraded the grips and added night sights. I bought the gun brand new for under $700, invested $125 in the night sights and $50 for the grips. I wouldn't trade it for any of the high dollar guns out there and I have put somewhere around 70,000 rounds thru the gun during the past 12 or 14 years. Aside from that, I change the recoil and firing pin springs on a schedule and clean it each time I shoot it. It is a standout 1911 and all for under $1000.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    One of the beautiful things about a 1911 is the way parts can be changed and interchanged. I bought a RIA 1911 and it came with the ugliest grips I had ever seen on a gun. I happened to have had a pair of grips that I had taken off an expensive 1911 that I upgraded the grips on and installed them on the RIA. Made the gun look hot and a lot more expensive than the $425 I had spent to buy the gun brand new.

If you find a good basic frame and slide combination, you can always change the grips, hammer, back strap, or anything else you decide and usually end up with a very nice gun for a lot less than the high dollar puppies floating around.

My EDC gun is a Kimber Pro Carry in Stainless. I upgraded the grips and added night sights. I bought the gun brand new for under $700, invested $125 in the night sights and $50 for the grips. I wouldn't trade it for any of the high dollar guns out there and I have put somewhere around 70,000 rounds thru the gun during the past 12 or 14 years. Aside from that, I change the recoil and firing pin springs on a schedule and clean it each time I shoot it. It is a standout 1911 and all for under $1000.
    not familiar with every model of Kimber. You don't happen to have any Glamour shots of your Kimber do you? And where did you get a Kimber NIB for $700? Thought they were way more than that.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Just don't do like me,that is find a 1911 that is perfect for your needs then in a manor of mouths spend just as much getting your gun the way you want it as you paid for it in the first place.

A common story with John Moses Brownings Masterpeace.

But damn, there fun to customize!

Springfield Champion

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    not familiar with every model of Kimber. You don't happen to have any Glamour shots of your Kimber do you? And where did you get a Kimber NIB for $700? Thought they were way more than that.
    I was thinking the same thing, but then I saw where he put 70,000 rounds through it over 12-14 Years.

My LGC also has the chrome commander... but I bought the new "Amigo" officer size yesterday. HOLY COW, what a fine weapon. Took it to the range and shot lights out - straight out of the box... just wiped the excess oil off of it and went to town. For a $500 gun that is easy to carry (on my hip now) and accurate as can be... I highly recommend American Classic.
    BTW, these have novak type sights, not GI's and can be swapped out for night sights very easily.AC Commander 003.jpg

I handled the American Classic and the RIA 3.5" this past weekend and although I liked them both very much, I went with the RIA because of the lifetime warranty. I had never heard of American Classic before and the one year warranty scared me off. It may be silly but I trust a company more that has enough confidence to warrant their product for life. I will be changing the grips though.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    I handled the American Classic and the RIA 3.5" this past weekend and although I liked them both very much, I went with the RIA because of the lifetime warranty. I had never heard of American Classic before and the one year warranty scared me off. It may be silly but I trust a company more that has enough confidence to warrant their product for life. I will be changing the grips though.
    These are great compact 1911s (IMO). I like the wood grips but switched mine out to Hogues for a more secure grip. Enjoy!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    +1 on the Rock Island Armory guns. they call their's the "mid-size". I have one and it's run flawless since I got it. It's actually a very good value considering how little you pay for it compared to how well they run. The only think I don't like about them are the grips. They're very cheap plain wood. I got the GI model becasue I don't like skeletonized triggers. I've added a new safety, commander Hammer and beavertail grip safety. I'll be adding night sights next. I'm still way under the cost of a basic springfield armory o STI.

However, if you really think you're going to like this platfore and a .45, you may want to buy a Springfield mil-spec or loaded. it's worth the extra money and another extraordinary value at it's price point.

God Bless
    Gideon

I promised I'd post some pictures once I got back in town and put everything together. I slapped some Pachmayr wrap around grips on it to take place of the lack of front checkering and it turned out great. Ive put just a couple (25 or so) rounds through it with no malfunctions. I will be doing a full test in a few days. I also purchased a Tommy Theis to go along with it and I couldnt be more pleased.

IMAG0455.jpgIMAG0453.jpg
    zonker1986 likes this.

American Classic Commanders in hard chrome are at times hard to find At present their bring in the new compact Amigo officer size 3 1/2 inch barrel.

Bersachat.com at present home for American classic . I will have new American classic board up and on line by 9-11 I hope. Were testing and adding finishing touches at present. Buds and others carry the AC . My Dealer in Harrodsburg KY has a hard chrome in show case. Iam not sure what it is Goverement or Commander. Hensley Gun 's Harrodsburg Ky he still ships as far as I know . He's open 10 to 5 and 10 to 3 on sat. call him

I have a full size in blue It is a great pistol.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

gundirectory.com ........................... good luck with that combat commander

Quote Originally Posted by LAglocks View Post
    I promised I'd post some pictures once I got back in town and put everything together. I slapped some Pachmayr wrap around grips on it to take place of the lack of front checkering and it turned out great. Ive put just a couple (25 or so) rounds through it with no malfunctions. I will be doing a full test in a few days. I also purchased a Tommy Theis to go along with it and I couldnt be more pleased.

IMAG0455.jpgIMAG0453.jpg
    very nice. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Keep us updated.....I've only seen one other American Classic, and that's the full size blue one I own. Can't find any dealers around here that carry them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links