Defensive Carry banner

Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s?

17K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  IsaiahM33 
#1 ·
Im trying to track down an affordable 1911 around the 4" range. What are some of the cheaper options? The para only comes in blued with an ugly wooden grip. Im trying to find something sub $700 but most seem to high. What are the 3 least expensive?

I was looking at the full size ruger but I just cant see myself buying a gun Ill barely be able to carry and I already have a glock 27, so the 3-3.5 is pointless

#4 ·
I'm not sure about the cheaper commander length 1911s, but some to consider would be the Colt lightweight commander, the Colt Talo CCO, and the Kimber Pro Carry or Ultra Carry seems to be high on some peoples lists. I think Rock Island Armory and STI offer some less expensive models. Springfield Armory has a Champion model you could look at. The ones I consider reliable are a bit more than $700. These named are around 950$ minimum (except RIA, Kimber and STI).

You can also check around and find some really good used models.

#5 ·
Im not a gun guru, more of a practical approach. I dont want a full size .45 just to look at that I wont be able to carry really. I want the .45 in a semi-compact to 4.25" barrel because I already have a glock 27. Being more specific, I wanted to look into slim fit and decided why not try the 1911s. Itd be cool to have a 1911, but Im not going to pay twice as much as say a glock or m&p for less capacity, less durability, and more weight. Once again, not really a fanatic, Im just in it for practicality.

#7 ·
I have not carried a 1911 for CC, but I will be in about a week. I currency carry a Glock 29 IWB. I took it off the other day and put in a Colt Lwt. Commander and i had to cinch my belt an extra hole tighter. Big difference in thickness.

It's definitely thinner and the lightweight model is lighter than my Glock. Longer grip but with a suit it disappears either way.

#8 ·
If you don't want to spend a lot of money to test out the 1911 waters, a 1911 made in the Phillipines is about your only choice. Rock Island Armory, Shooters Arms (Imported by ATI American Tactical Imports) or Metro Arms American Classics imported by Eagle Imports are your options. I have a full size American Classic II Metro Arms 1911, and its IMO, one of the best of the Phillipino imports. Metro Arms makes a Commander size American Classic finished in a very nice blue, or hard chrome. Do a search on Youtube for Metro Arms American Classic, and you will find some feedback on actual owners of the guns. The Commanders run around $460 for the blue to around $540 in hard chrome on Davidsons Gallery of Guns and Buds Gun Shop on the internet. They are listed under American Classic on Davidsons, and under the Bersa group on Buds.
Good luck.

Metro Arms Americian Classic Commander - Blue

Metro Arms American Classic Commander - hard chrome

#9 ·
The stainless is just about exactly what Im looking for. Rounded hammer, grip safety, simple and no frills. Do they accept different magazines? How have these performed? They certainly look better than the GI champ, but how about performance?

Also how is the hammer mechanism on this style? Safety in the chamber etc?

#14 ·
my full size has been flawless. Best place to find these guys is either on Davidsons Gun Genie or Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop
Most local stores here in Orlando don't carry them. Since they are imported by Eagle Imports, you just need to check in on these sites frequently until the gun is in stock and have them ship to a local FFL.
The silver Commander is not stainless steel, but is finished with hard chrome which is very durable. Hard to tell the difference.
I'm partial to the American Classics because they have the extened slide stop, and extended thumb safety. Very eay to operate with one hand. I have a much harder time operating the slide stop and safety on my Springfield 1911's that cost a boat load more.

here is a look at the Hard Chrome Commander:
American classic commamder - YouTube

full size:
Metro Arms American Classic 1911 - YouTube

full size blue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmCJqj8pjGc&feature=related

#15 ·
It's the slide which is hard to conceal, but I see the advantages of the 4" and the compactness of the 3" hope to acquire them in the future... for now full size lightweight will do for me...

#16 ·
To the OP. You may want to research if you want one. No one has a 1911 for practicality. Got to have a little smith in you. Commanders are usually not the cheapest of the types either. You may have to try the used market for one in the mid 700's that's not lightweight frame type. One of the best deals of the type you seek cost 1400+ and it's the VBOB IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
LAglocks,
Sorry, but I can't tell you where to find a chrome AC Commender..... I've read many times that they're frequently hard to find. Be persistent and patient and you'll be rewarded w/ a fine gun. I've had my blue AC Commander for nearly a year and am still very pleased w/ it. It's been a pleasure to carry and shoot. I like the deep blue finish on it a great deal more than the Parkerized finish on my Citadel. I'm still anxioulsy waiting for the AC Amigo (Officer's size frame) to become available (especially the chrome version).:smile:

#20 ·
My opinion is to get the best of both worlds: 1911 accuracy and trigger pull, and Sig/Glock reliability and simplicity. The Sig P220R Carry SAO has a 3.9" barrel, features a great single action only trigger pull, and can be taken down without the use of tools. It also fits my hand better than any 1911 I've owned. Weight-wise, I'd compare it to a LW Commander. The P220R Carry SAO (shown here) is my EDC, and can easily be concealed under a t-shirt and shorts with a decent IWB holster. Nothing against 1911s. I've owned plenty. But for me, this fits the bill much better, and I highly recommend it.
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel

#22 ·
Keep checking Bud's and Davidsons for the hard chrome availability.
When arrive on those sites, they sell out quickly. Register with Buds and have them
send you an email when they arrive. Patience my friend. They do exist as both sites
I've mentioned had them in stock a couple of weeks ago.

#27 ·
I would go with either a Rock Island Armory $380-480 or a Springfield Armory Champion GI about $550. I love my GI Champion. It has a 4" barrel. I have the light weight model which has an aluminum frame but they also come with a steel frame. BTW I wouldn't worry about how the grips look like. You can swap the grips out easily and there are a TON of grips out there. I swapped out my grips for these VZ grips.

#28 ·
Gallery of guns didnt have a store too close to me so Im trying to get one from Buds. They just got in stock yesterday I think. However, Buds is apparently having some system problems. I have been trying to order all day and keep getting error messages.

#33 ·
One of the beautiful things about a 1911 is the way parts can be changed and interchanged. I bought a RIA 1911 and it came with the ugliest grips I had ever seen on a gun. I happened to have had a pair of grips that I had taken off an expensive 1911 that I upgraded the grips on and installed them on the RIA. Made the gun look hot and a lot more expensive than the $425 I had spent to buy the gun brand new.

If you find a good basic frame and slide combination, you can always change the grips, hammer, back strap, or anything else you decide and usually end up with a very nice gun for a lot less than the high dollar puppies floating around.

My EDC gun is a Kimber Pro Carry in Stainless. I upgraded the grips and added night sights. I bought the gun brand new for under $700, invested $125 in the night sights and $50 for the grips. I wouldn't trade it for any of the high dollar guns out there and I have put somewhere around 70,000 rounds thru the gun during the past 12 or 14 years. Aside from that, I change the recoil and firing pin springs on a schedule and clean it each time I shoot it. It is a standout 1911 and all for under $1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.