Defensive Carry banner

Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s?

17K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  IsaiahM33 
#1 ·
Im trying to track down an affordable 1911 around the 4" range. What are some of the cheaper options? The para only comes in blued with an ugly wooden grip. Im trying to find something sub $700 but most seem to high. What are the 3 least expensive?

I was looking at the full size ruger but I just cant see myself buying a gun Ill barely be able to carry and I already have a glock 27, so the 3-3.5 is pointless

#35 ·
Just don't do like me,that is find a 1911 that is perfect for your needs then in a manor of mouths spend just as much getting your gun the way you want it as you paid for it in the first place.

A common story with John Moses Brownings Masterpeace.

But damn, there fun to customize!

#38 ·
My LGC also has the chrome commander... but I bought the new "Amigo" officer size yesterday. HOLY COW, what a fine weapon. Took it to the range and shot lights out - straight out of the box... just wiped the excess oil off of it and went to town. For a $500 gun that is easy to carry (on my hip now) and accurate as can be... I highly recommend American Classic.
BTW, these have novak type sights, not GI's and can be swapped out for night sights very easily. Illustration Recreation Revolver Gramophone record Shooting sport

#39 ·
I handled the American Classic and the RIA 3.5" this past weekend and although I liked them both very much, I went with the RIA because of the lifetime warranty. I had never heard of American Classic before and the one year warranty scared me off. It may be silly but I trust a company more that has enough confidence to warrant their product for life. I will be changing the grips though.

#41 ·
+1 on the Rock Island Armory guns. they call their's the "mid-size". I have one and it's run flawless since I got it. It's actually a very good value considering how little you pay for it compared to how well they run. The only think I don't like about them are the grips. They're very cheap plain wood. I got the GI model becasue I don't like skeletonized triggers. I've added a new safety, commander Hammer and beavertail grip safety. I'll be adding night sights next. I'm still way under the cost of a basic springfield armory o STI.

However, if you really think you're going to like this platfore and a .45, you may want to buy a Springfield mil-spec or loaded. it's worth the extra money and another extraordinary value at it's price point.

God Bless
Gideon

#42 ·
I promised I'd post some pictures once I got back in town and put everything together. I slapped some Pachmayr wrap around grips on it to take place of the lack of front checkering and it turned out great. Ive put just a couple (25 or so) rounds through it with no malfunctions. I will be doing a full test in a few days. I also purchased a Tommy Theis to go along with it and I couldnt be more pleased.

Handgun holster
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#45 ·
I promised I'd post some pictures once I got back in town and put everything together. I slapped some Pachmayr wrap around grips on it to take place of the lack of front checkering and it turned out great. Ive put just a couple (25 or so) rounds through it with no malfunctions. I will be doing a full test in a few days. I also purchased a Tommy Theis to go along with it and I couldnt be more pleased.

View attachment 52983 View attachment 52984
very nice. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Keep us updated.....I've only seen one other American Classic, and that's the full size blue one I own. Can't find any dealers around here that carry them.

#43 ·
American Classic Commanders in hard chrome are at times hard to find At present their bring in the new compact Amigo officer size 3 1/2 inch barrel.

Bersachat.com at present home for American classic . I will have new American classic board up and on line by 9-11 I hope. Were testing and adding finishing touches at present. Buds and others carry the AC . My Dealer in Harrodsburg KY has a hard chrome in show case. Iam not sure what it is Goverement or Commander. Hensley Gun 's Harrodsburg Ky he still ships as far as I know . He's open 10 to 5 and 10 to 3 on sat. call him

I have a full size in blue It is a great pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.