Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s?

This is a discussion on Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im trying to track down an affordable 1911 around the 4" range. What are some of the cheaper options? The para only comes in blued ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Affordable Commander/4"ish 1911s?

Im trying to track down an affordable 1911 around the 4" range. What are some of the cheaper options? The para only comes in blued with an ugly wooden grip. Im trying to find something sub $700 but most seem to high. What are the 3 least expensive?

I was looking at the full size ruger but I just cant see myself buying a gun Ill barely be able to carry and I already have a glock 27, so the 3-3.5 is pointless

there are a few most of which I have no experience with. but here is a link that (unsorted just 45's in general) that shows multiple 45's that fit your criteria.
    www.galleryofguns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

Is the Para GI 4.25" version offered in a non-alloy frame? The only one I can find is the "lightweight" version.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the cheaper commander length 1911s, but some to consider would be the Colt lightweight commander, the Colt Talo CCO, and the Kimber Pro Carry or Ultra Carry seems to be high on some peoples lists. I think Rock Island Armory and STI offer some less expensive models. Springfield Armory has a Champion model you could look at. The ones I consider reliable are a bit more than $700. These named are around 950$ minimum (except RIA, Kimber and STI).

You can also check around and find some really good used models.
    357and40 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Im not a gun guru, more of a practical approach. I dont want a full size .45 just to look at that I wont be able to carry really. I want the .45 in a semi-compact to 4.25" barrel because I already have a glock 27. Being more specific, I wanted to look into slim fit and decided why not try the 1911s. Itd be cool to have a 1911, but Im not going to pay twice as much as say a glock or m&p for less capacity, less durability, and more weight. Once again, not really a fanatic, Im just in it for practicality.

Springfield Champion
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have not carried a 1911 for CC, but I will be in about a week. I currency carry a Glock 29 IWB. I took it off the other day and put in a Colt Lwt. Commander and i had to cinch my belt an extra hole tighter. Big difference in thickness.

It's definitely thinner and the lightweight model is lighter than my Glock. Longer grip but with a suit it disappears either way.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money to test out the 1911 waters, a 1911 made in the Phillipines is about your only choice. Rock Island Armory, Shooters Arms (Imported by ATI American Tactical Imports) or Metro Arms American Classics imported by Eagle Imports are your options. I have a full size American Classic II Metro Arms 1911, and its IMO, one of the best of the Phillipino imports. Metro Arms makes a Commander size American Classic finished in a very nice blue, or hard chrome. Do a search on Youtube for Metro Arms American Classic, and you will find some feedback on actual owners of the guns. The Commanders run around $460 for the blue to around $540 in hard chrome on Davidsons Gallery of Guns and Buds Gun Shop on the internet. They are listed under American Classic on Davidsons, and under the Bersa group on Buds.
    Good luck.

Metro Arms Americian Classic Commander - Blue

Metro Arms American Classic Commander - hard chrome
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The stainless is just about exactly what Im looking for. Rounded hammer, grip safety, simple and no frills. Do they accept different magazines? How have these performed? They certainly look better than the GI champ, but how about performance?

Also how is the hammer mechanism on this style? Safety in the chamber etc?

I did some looking and it apparently has a thumb safety. It was hard to tell at first. The AC Commander looks very promising and affordable. Are they readily available or hard to come by?

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Springfield Champion
    THIS ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by LAglocks View Post
    I did some looking and it apparently has a thumb safety. It was hard to tell at first. The AC Commander looks very promising and affordable. Are they readily available or hard to come by?
    All 1911s have a thumb safety.

Sig C3s can be found on gunbroker for $750-800 and come with night sights/front strap checkering. Mine's extremely reliable, compact, and good-looking. Best of luck!
    kmagnuss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LAglocks View Post
    The stainless is just about exactly what Im looking for. Rounded hammer, grip safety, simple and no frills. Do they accept different magazines? How have these performed? They certainly look better than the GI champ, but how about performance?

Also how is the hammer mechanism on this style? Safety in the chamber etc?
    my full size has been flawless. Best place to find these guys is either on Davidsons Gun Genie or Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop
    Most local stores here in Orlando don't carry them. Since they are imported by Eagle Imports, you just need to check in on these sites frequently until the gun is in stock and have them ship to a local FFL.
    The silver Commander is not stainless steel, but is finished with hard chrome which is very durable. Hard to tell the difference.
    I'm partial to the American Classics because they have the extened slide stop, and extended thumb safety. Very eay to operate with one hand. I have a much harder time operating the slide stop and safety on my Springfield 1911's that cost a boat load more.

here is a look at the Hard Chrome Commander:
    American classic commamder - YouTube

full size:
    Metro Arms American Classic 1911 - YouTube

full size blue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmCJq...eature=related
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

cmb
    It's the slide which is hard to conceal, but I see the advantages of the 4" and the compactness of the 3" hope to acquire them in the future... for now full size lightweight will do for me...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links