I am beginning to dislike my M&P

This is a discussion on I am beginning to dislike my M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It hits the primer plenty hard, craters it, and shaves the cratering. Brass everywhere. Well, ok, it will go back to Smith after the annual ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am beginning to dislike my M&P

It hits the primer plenty hard, craters it, and shaves the cratering. Brass everywhere. Well, ok, it will go back to Smith after the annual shutdown. But tonight I found a new twist: when you load a magazine at slide lock, the slide will release. I have known about this (was shown to me by a guy I shoot with) since I bought the gun new in June. I used it to my advantage at our last shoot. But the problem is this: if you load a mag with 10 or less, the slide releases and chambers. But if there are any more rounds in that mag (357 SIG, 15 round capacity, I load 14), when you load that mag the slide releases and you jam. The bullet gets seated deeper into the case. Dangerously deeper. Rest assured, I am not pounding the mag in. But I have learned you have to be firm when inserting a mag in this gun or it will not catch. Either way, you will jam if you load a full mag into the pistol at slide lock. What a pain. Glad I found this out now. This is with two types of ball and HST. I hope Smith takes care of all this.

Thats truly one problme I havent heard of. Good luck on getting it fixed.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Yikes. That would be a problem.

I slam magazines hard, and all of my Glocks tend to release the slide when I do - but it's always a good chambering. I consider it a 'feature' that I'm actually okay with.

A mis-feed would be a deal-breaker for me. Good luck on that - let us know how you resolve it.

Wow never heard of that one, you defenitely have a sick pistol. I had a m&p9c years ago and it never gave me issue.

Got an M&P45c doesn't do that,Daughter has a M&P9c that doesn't do that.Sounds like itt could be a slide release out of specs,the M&P's have really stiff mag springs,I have to use a mag loader to get 8 rounds in my mags without busting my thumb trying to force the last round in.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I also use a mag loader. I do not pound the magazine in when I reload, but I do slap it in with authority. And if the slide is locked, it will release. And if there are more than 10 rounds in the magazine, it will jam. When it jams, the bullet itself gets shoved deeper in the case. I tried this with WWB, Remington UMC ball, and Federal HST. Same results every time. If you are not assertive when you insert the magazine, it will not catch and when you trip the slide release, another jam. I spent some money on an Alessi holster which is supposed to get here this week. Looks like that will be collecting some dust. I sure hope Smith can fix this. I love how the gun feels and shoots, and want to carry it. But I cannot trust it.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    It hits the primer plenty hard, craters it, and shaves the cratering. Brass everywhere. Well, ok, it will go back to Smith after the annual shutdown. But tonight I found a new twist: when you load a magazine at slide lock, the slide will release. I have known about this (was shown to me by a guy I shoot with) since I bought the gun new in June. I used it to my advantage at our last shoot. But the problem is this: if you load a mag with 10 or less, the slide releases and chambers. But if there are any more rounds in that mag (357 SIG, 15 round capacity, I load 14), when you load that mag the slide releases and you jam. The bullet gets seated deeper into the case. Dangerously deeper. Rest assured, I am not pounding the mag in. But I have learned you have to be firm when inserting a mag in this gun or it will not catch. Either way, you will jam if you load a full mag into the pistol at slide lock. What a pain. Glad I found this out now. This is with two types of ball and HST. I hope Smith takes care of all this.
    A factory magazine which is fully loaded should not trip the slide release.

SOME Bullet setback is NORMAL if a round is chambered from slide lockback - it DOES NOT mean your pistol is defective.

You probably do need a new slide release/spring.

Because of the high recoil energy and the fact that 357 SIG headspaces ON A SHOULDER (not the case mouth ) it tends to show
    what LOOKS LIKE cratering in some guns - but this is NOT Necessarily a sign of overpressure or a bad chamber.

I agree though you should send it back to S&W.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

There are brass flakes everywhere when I strip the weapon. I bought the gun from a store that deals primarily with law enforcement. They have two certified M&P armorers, and are primarily Smith dealers. They agree that the pin is hitting the primer WAY too hard, and recommended that they send the gun back to Smith after the shutdown. But the jamming was discovered last night. The jamming concerns me much more than the brass shavings.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    There are brass flakes everywhere when I strip the weapon. I bought the gun from a store that deals primarily with law enforcement. They have two certified M&P armorers, and are primarily Smith dealers. They agree that the pin is hitting the primer WAY too hard, and recommended that they send the gun back to Smith after the shutdown. But the jamming was discovered last night. The jamming concerns me much more than the brass shavings.
    The only thing that makes the striker move with a round chambered is the striker spring - THAT'S ALL..
    The ONLY thing that returns the slide to battery and causes a round to be chambered is the RECOIL SPRING - NOTHING ELSE.

OTOH - IF your striker is jammed in a forward position you have either a VERY DIRTY GUN or a DEFECTIVE PART.

I really doubt the brass shavings come from the PRIMER CUP.

You could have a rough chamber .

Why didn't you just pay one of those "expert" armorers to determine the problem?

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

hen you load a magazine at slide lock, the slide will release.
    MANY guns will do this,,,, i can do it with my HK and glocks

I can get about any pistol to slide-release if I slap the mag in hard enough... The issues you are listing, however, seem a bit off.

That being said, send it back to S&W to get them to give it a once over. Give them a complete list of the issues & I 'm sure you will get a functional weapon on return.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Got a .40c at least 800 rounds through, never had that one.

Check the underside of the slide just under the face of the breach block for a sharp edge. It will shave the case that is next up in the mag as it closes on the one it just picked up. A few strokes from a file to put a radius on it is all it will take to stop it.

Distinguished Member
    My M&P40 will release the slide if I slam a magazine into the chamber, I use it to my advantage. But I can still insert one with a lighter pressure and leave the slide back. Our dept armorer said it releasing the slide is completely normal on polymer guns due to some frame flex/twist if you hit it hard enough. I can do that with 3, 6, 8, 10, 15 or any number of rounds. It always works the same and never jams. If you are jamming then I think there is another issue.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Run your finger acros the opening in the breech for the striker. If there is any roughness--brass shaving occurs when the case base slides across it. Easy fix for that. My G30 slide will slam shut if I really jam a mag in. I've found I don't have to slam the mag in, but it doesn't cause a jam regardless.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links