looking for a 9mm

looking for a 9mm

This is a discussion on looking for a 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I was thinking about rounding off my XD collection (.40 SC and .45 Tactical) with a 9mm Service unit but I think that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

looking for a 9mm

Well, I was thinking about rounding off my XD collection (.40 SC and .45 Tactical) with a 9mm Service unit but I think that I want a slimmer gun to make it easier to conceal (my primary CC will be .40 SC at this point).
    So I started looking around and so far my requirements are as follows: 9mm 4" barrel (give or take), slim and a full height grip. Oh yeah, lets not forget reasonably priced. Walther P99 looks tempting, but what else is out there (oh yeah, the Walther pushes my top price limit).
    What would y'all suggest?

Thanks

Kahr Cw9

Kahr CW-9.. Since I carry one and love it, I will recommend the CW-9.

Caliber 9mm (9 x 19)
    Capacity 7 + 1
    Operation Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
    Barrel 3.5", conventional rifling; 1-10 right-hand twist
    Length O/A 5.9"
    Height 4.5"
    Slide Width .90"
    Weight Pistol 15.8 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
    Grip Textured polymer
    Sights Drift adjustable rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight, white bar-dot combat sights
    Finish Matte stainless steel slide
    Magazine 7-round

http://www.kahr.com/front.html

I paid $415.00 (drive away price including taxes) for mine and ordered two additional mags at "dealers cost" as part of the purchase bargain. Think my dealer was hungry

The DeSantis Nemesis holster is my main carry holster. I normally carry in the front right pocket.

http://www.desantisholster.com/n38.html

In addition, I use the IWB DeSantis Tuck-This holster.

http://www.desantisholster.com/n91.html

Good luck on your search. Try your local gun ranges and rent a pistol you like prior to purchasing one.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Kahr? The non PM models seem to have a much better reputation. Or a SIG 239 which might not be that much thinner than the XD. Kelt-Tec P11 or PF9, when they come out.

Why not carry the XD40sc?

IMHO the Sig P228 if you want high cap. If not, try to handle a S&W 3913. It's a little bigger than the Kahr (holds one more round), slim, single stack 8+1, Light weight due to aluminum frame, very accurate, and 100% reliable. I cannot recall seeing a post on the S&W forum about a malfunction. They run about $425 used. I love mine. Regards 18DAI.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have a SIG P-228. It is a medium size auto that is easy to conceal and carry. It is accurate and reliable. 13 +1 capacity and it also accepts it's big brother the P-226's 15 round magazines. SIG doesn't import very many of these into the country anymore but they are out there. Mine was used and in 97-98% condition for $550.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

9mm Carry Gun

I have an XD-9 sub-compact and it's easy to conceal in a IWB holster. It's slim, compact and carries a total of 11 rounds (10 +1). It can be concealed underneath a large t-shirt using my CrossBreed holster. It's very accurate, also.

Hope this helps.

i carry my XD9SC very easily in a tucker texas heritage leather IWB... i will occasionally carry my bersa thunder .380 IWB or on my ankle.
    if 9mm is your requirement and you want something a little thinner, try the bersa/firestorm mini 9mm
    http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/minispecs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD
    Why not carry the XD40sc?
    Well I want to get a 9mm cause I want a 9mm and I want to be able to carry it comfortably as well should I not want to carry the SC for whatever reason: I started experimenting with some ideas of how to carry and it seems that depending on how/what I'm dressed in I might want to have a slightly thinner gun then the XD. So.... I"m looking for ideas :D

In regards to capacity: since I'm in CALI it's more or less non-issue. I'm limited to 10.

I'll have to check out some Sig's and look at Kahrs again. I looked at the latter when I was looking at the SC and at that time I discounted it due to thinness (felt weird) but now that I have additional/different priorities I'm going to have to look again.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Check out the CZ100, thin,light,DAO, 13+1 rounds, not too expensive. Around $350.00 Slick up the trigger system some and it become a nice carry piece.

Might try a Witness compact. Inexpensive, very reliable, and well made.

Take a look at the TP-9 from Kahr. I believe that it will fit the bill as you have described.

http://www.kahr.com/pistols_TP9093novak.html
    Last edited by stmichps; August 5th, 2006 at 11:36 PM.

That TP9 looks nice but $839.00 YIKES. The CW9 looks also tempting and so does the CZ100. The big upside of the CZ is the 10 round mag.

Now to throw something else into the mix. What do you guys think of Ruger's

I'd bet any of the rugers will not be any thinner than the XD. And harder to conceal than the XDsc.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I'd bet any of the rugers will not be any thinner than the XD. And harder to conceal than the XDsc.
    Hmmm I'll have to check it out in person, but now that I think about it, you might be right. Problem is that I'm window shopping right now as it's 22:40 and no gun stores are open :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links