Would You Buy A Dirty Gun from a Gun Store?

This is a discussion on Would You Buy A Dirty Gun from a Gun Store? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike I'd be suspect more of the gun store itself if they never wiped the guns down with a silicone cloth or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Would You Buy A Dirty Gun from a Gun Store?

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'd be suspect more of the gun store itself if they never wiped the guns down with a silicone cloth or something to at least clean the hand prints and oils off of the guns. I'd wonder how well the gun had been taken care of at all by theses guys.
    Depends on the inventory of the shop and the size of the operation. I worked at a shop this summer that did gun shows every weekend; between those shows, dealing with walk-ins during the week, and keeping the shop presentable, neither I nor my co-workers had time to wipe down guns other than maybe the chromed desert eagle we had and I would occasionally wipe down the chromed .38 Super RIA 1911s. If the finish can't take it, it's probably not worth buying in the first place. We did wipe down those items on consignment. If a gun came in exceptionally dirty, we broke it down and made it presentable. All others were sold as is, and honestly most people could care less from my experience.

Edit: I forgot to say that our inventory was in excess of 1000 pistols and 300 rifles/shotguns.
    Raygo53 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'm more concerned with rust, pits, bulging barrels and timing problems in revolvers than I am about dirt. The fact that the gun is dirty can serve as a bargaining chip if you are buying a pre-owned gun. As for new guns, I never bought one that didn't need some cleaning and without exception the bores have not been cleaned after test fire. They are all dirty by my standards until I clean them.
    glockman10mm and Secret Spuk like this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Found a Springer I'd been looking for at a gun show from a dealer that lived a county over. "Is it new"? I asked The Responce " It's being sold as new becauce of its condition" I locked the pistol open & SMOKESTACK! I mean this thing was dirty! I went on my way in a state of disbelief. It's there livelihood for crying out load!

No you are not being to pickey. Laziness should not be rewarded, there are to many hardworking honest people out there that really deserve our buissiness.

No way, no how.

I picked up a glock 17 that looked like it smoked two packs a day. Thing is it didn't look like it had been shot much, it was just REALLY dirty. Got it for $300 ran it through the dish washer and sold it for $450
    DefConGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Maybe one solution would be to ask the LGS to clean it and if it is to your satisfaction then you would buy it? Still not sure how being dirty for an extended period though would affect the integrity of its finish.
    Doesn't matter to me unless you can see corrosion. I might ask to field strip the gun or inspect it a little more than usual, but once I own it it'll get plenty holster wear and sweat on it, not to mention powder residue.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Dirty guns are great! You pick one up, look at it and then start negotiating a cheaper price with the shop.

los
    A dirty firearm wouldn't be a deal killer for me.

If the firearm had evident signs of abuse, damage and/or poor fitting parts, I'd walk away from it.
    Raygo53 likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Some dirt is to be expected... test fires at the factory (We all know they don't clean them afterward) and handling marks from other customers/employees handling the gun. I'd still consider it new unless the store had an attached range, and it was clear that somebody had an extended "test fire" session with it.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I don't believe this gun had been fired. It looked like to me that it had smudge marks from where it had been handled so much and put away without being wiped down.

I was mostly concerned about the finished being compromised and may be more susceptible to corroding.

I don't believe this gun had been fired. It looked like to me that it had smudge marks from where it had been handled so much and put away without being wiped down.

I was mostly concerned about the finished being compromised and may be more susceptible to corroding.
    In that case, I would not worry. The price is kind of high, you should do some dickering with him
    Raygo53
    01 FFL Dealer
    NRA Firearms Instructor
    “Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.’’

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raygo53 View Post
    In that case, I would not worry. The price is kind of high, you should do some dickering with him
    I thought it was rather price as well but I haven't researched any of it so I have no idea as to what a fair price is for a S&W .44Mag.

I thought it was rather price as well but I haven't researched any of it so I have no idea as to what a fair price is for a S&W .44Mag.
    Just an FYI on dealer pricing. Depending on who the supplier is, what kind of dealer discount the dealer is getting, his general overhead, and what the supply and demand for that gun is at that location, all go into what the dealer will price the gun for. Most markup on the weapon itself is small, we make most of our money on all the other goodies that goes along with the sale.
    Raygo53
    01 FFL Dealer
    NRA Firearms Instructor
    “Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.’’

Other than those I get online, I buy all my guns from a large independent gun store in metro Atlanta. In the last 7 or 8 years, I've probably picked up 25 or 30 pistols there. It's also my indoor range. Their guns in the showcases never look very good, even the new ones. The only cleaned used guns I've ever seen are the one I traded there. That said, I've never bought one, new or used, that didn't clean up well, and I'm OCD when it comes to the cosmetics of my guns.

i would pass on that deal, unless you absolutely NEED that particular gun at this point in time......I saw my S&W MODEL 22 at Bass Pro years back and i could not resist but to buy it that same day......:)

HERE IS MY MODEL 22 .45ACP
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links