Choice Of Firearm For Wife

This is a discussion on Choice Of Firearm For Wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to the advice of some on this forum, I have decided I will get the Glock 30 as my CCW and HD weapon, (coming ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Choice Of Firearm For Wife

Thanks to the advice of some on this forum, I have decided I will get the Glock 30 as my CCW and HD weapon, (coming next month!). I trained on Glock for nearly 25 years as a Metro Detroit police officer. With all my training hours and muscle memory on the Glock, I figured it was an excellent choice for me. I've always been partial to the .45 and had my department allowed it, I would have carried the G21 rather than the G22 in .40. Also, Glock is reliable, high capacity, and cost-effective (3 huge pluses!).

My wife is in need of a CCW firearm and I will be assisting in her research. Currently, she has a Colt Mustang Pocketlite in .380. The issue is that this is a SA pistol without the grip safety of its bigger 1911 brothers. So she would need to carry on an empty chamber or cocked and locked with only the thumb safety. She plans on carrying the weapon on her person. Also, she was also hoping to move up to a 9mm. My wife has small hands but is able to shoot any caliber. One of the handguns I suggested was the Glock 26.

Your thoughts and opinions. Gun as well as holster recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

chesterhound

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The best thing you can do is let her have input in the choice. That will encourage her to practice more. That said, you certainly could steer her toward certain guns. The Glock 26 is a good choice, but I would also have her look at the Ruger LC9. At 17 0z. and .90" thick, it has a great balance of light weight, easy concealment, and recoil management. 7+1 rounds of 9mm, with both an external safety and a mag safety. I have both, and I would steer my wife toward the LC9 if she was interested in a carry.
    mwhartman likes this.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Besure she get to handle the kahr pistols. But besure she gets to shot several mid to small 9mm pistols and besure she thinks about the ways she will carry. I did get my 100 lb small handed daughter to try my cw9 and at first it suprised her but came back to shoot it a bit more. pf-9 heck no one time was enough. She carries a bersa 380 single stack. The sudcompact xd9 for a bit larger but might work . easy to control but heavier and over all larger. If you have a good indoor range my be the staff can help. many have women instrutors now a days. So many good pistols out there.

I agree with what others have said. Let her pick the gun. My wife is waiting for her ccw to come in the mail and has informed me she wants a Chiappa Rhino in 2 inch. She said she likes the way it feels in her hand and she is old school and she should have a revolver. The first big gun show is in a month and we will be going so she can handle everything on the market in one place. If she still likes the Rhino then we will get one for her, but I had no input what she wants. its her firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by chesterhound View Post
    Your thoughts and opinions. Gun as well as holster recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

chesterhound
    Buy her a day of an instructor's time, a case of ammo and go get a coffee to get out of her hair while the instructor brings out his bag of guns and runs her through timed drills with weapons he brings to the range to let her try.

When she finds the one she can carry and shoots best for time and accuracy, buy it for her.

You don't get to really get a say. It has to do with women having opinions and the right to make up their own mind. They've been on that kick since the mid 1980's or something.

Passing fad, I say...but whatever.

MitchellCT:

LOL, thanks for the tip. I know she has to decide for herself. I guess I'm just hoping to help her narrow the field a bit. I think it's very important that she not only likes how the gun feels, but also how it shoots. With that in mind, she will put in some range time. The indoor range we go to coincidentally has a great selection of firearms at reasonable prices.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. It appears some of you may have faced a similar scenario in the past.

Your Glock-30 is an excellent choice, and the Glock-26 for the wife would be great...if she picks it out. I tried to pick several guns out for my wife and it didn't work. She did end up with a small caliber that she really doesn't carry much...maybe someday she'll come around to the Glock-26, we'll see.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The title of your thread is your answer. It's all about what she wants not what you want her to have. Trust me it's cheaper to let her get what she wants because if you don't you will be buying it later. Don't ask me how I learned this. If she wants a revolver let her get one. My wife loves her 642 with laser grips that I tried to talk her out of. After she gets into shooting and you learn what she likes and dislikes gunwise then you can pick something out for her. If she wants a pink gun let her get a pink gun. If she gets a bad case of gunitis like most of us have you might even have to get her her own safe.

All of these posters have hit the nail on the head, especially MitchellCT's advice. Take her to the range, and let the instructors or RSOs do their job. On my first trip to the range my husband had me try all different handguns in different calibers, and I hated all of them. When the RSO recommended the Ruger P345 to me, I fell in love. Ever since then I have researched and chosen my own weapons and accessories. I chose my next three handguns (a girl needs options!), half dozen or more holsters, and even my own knife and pepper spray.

As mentioned above all is good advise. I was young a dumb and bought a .38 snubby for my wife a few years after we were married. Well, guess what, you can't pick out your wifes gun any more than she can pick out yours. I think giving her some advise if she wants some is great otherwise let her do her thing. My wife likes the Ruger LCP, I dont really like anything smaller than .38, but she carries her LCP, and thats better than a .38 at home. I'm not saying don't help just let her make the decisions. Help her get the right information so she can make an educated decision. She will do fine and so will you.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I'm going to try not to beat the dead horse on letting her decide, but it's said with good reason. We've been causally looking for my girlfriends first gun lately, and I've been having her hold a few every time we stop by a gun store.

If you're going to have her hold some Glocks, have her hold a Gen3 and a Gen4, in the short frame configuration, with the larger mag release it's a big help with the generally smaller hands. If it's not 9mm Federal Ammo, I'd trust any out of the box Gen4 gun in my holster for carry before I even had a chance to take it to the range, I'm that faithful that the "gen4 issues" have been ironed out.

Some things I've seen, gun store counter workers pull out the most compact gun in stock and she ends up hating it because her hand is hanging off of it and there's no room for a comfortable grip, appreciates the concept but doesn't get her any closer to finding something she likes. Having the luxury of taking our time also lets me get feedback on likes and dislikes from her without having to compete with someone looking to make a sale; the ability to debrief between lets me poke around a little so I can seek out new guns to compare against the ones she favors. Eventually I'll find a good rental range in the area, take her to shoot 3 or 4 over an afternoon and we can fill out the paperwork for her favorite one.

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    Another option would be the CZ RAMI. Available in several configurations. DA/SA with manual safety, capable of being carried cocked and locked. Also available in a de-cocker version. Can be had in alloy frame or poly frame.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I suggest you have her check out the following handguns in 9mm and let her pick whatever she wants. If she has small hands, then perhaps a single stack 9mm is better for her grip and easier to conceal.

- Kahr PM9
    - Walther PPS
    - Kel-Tec PF9
    - Ruger LC9
    - Glock 26
    - Beretta Px4 Sub-Compact
    - Sig Sauer P229
    - HK P2000sk
    - S&W M&P9c
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I suggest you have her check out the following handguns in 9mm and let her pick whatever she wants. If she has small hands, then perhaps a single stack 9mm is better for her grip and easier to conceal.

- Kahr PM9
    - Walther PPS
    - Kel-Tec PF9
    - Ruger LC9
    - Glock 26
    - Beretta Px4 Sub-Compact
    - Sig Sauer P229
    - HK P2000sk
    - S&W M&P9c
    alachner:

Thank you, my friend in Deutschland, that is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate everyone's suggestions that I let my wife choose and I agree. She needs my help doing research so I would like to offer her some options like the list included in alachner's reply. She might choose one, she might not, but there are an overwhelming number of handguns on the market and I know she will appreciate advice, especially if it's coming from people with experience like the ones on DC.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Another option would be the CZ RAMI.
    Too thick. Kinda big.

My short list would be:
    Kahr PM-9 (although a very stout recoil spring.)
    EMP
    Sig 225
    Kimber solo (If they are D/A - S/A.)

Robaugh R-9 (snappy)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links