Bought a new Bersa 380 and well......

This is a discussion on Bought a new Bersa 380 and well...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some info from other Bersa 380 owners. I dissassebled/ cleaned / reassembled my brand new Bersa. I am 99% sure I put it ...

Thread: Bought a new Bersa 380 and well......

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Bought a new Bersa 380 and well......

I need some info from other Bersa 380 owners. I dissassebled/ cleaned / reassembled my brand new Bersa. I am 99% sure I put it back together correctly. Here's my concern....I insert magazine and rack the first round in the chamber. I then rack the slide a second time to eject the first round and load the next round but the first doesnt eject and it double feeds causing a hang up. Granted I have yet to fire it I was just checking the action. This sure as heck seems abnormal to me. Any advise?

Thanks,
    E

2. Remove Ads

Did you remove the grips when you did your cleaning? If so, there's your problem. There is a spring that rests in a slot cut into the back side of one of the grips to hols it in place. When you remove the grips, you have to get it seated back in there right or you will have this problem. Go to Bersachat.com and you can read detailed instructions on it. My buddy did the same thing with his and he was ready to sell it for nothing. I fixed it in 5 minutes and it has been flawless through hundreds of rounds since and he now loves it. Best advice is don't remove the grips when you clean it and you won't have any issues.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The Bersa/Firestorm 22 is the same. First time I cleaned it I thought I had rendered it inoperable. I finally got it back together again and it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Did you remove the grips when you did your cleaning? If so, there's your problem. There is a spring that rests in a slot cut into the back side of one of the grips to hols it in place. When you remove the grips, you have to get it seated back in there right or you will have this problem. Go to Bersachat.com and you can read detailed instructions on it. My buddy did the same thing with his and he was ready to sell it for nothing. I fixed it in 5 minutes and it has been flawless through hundreds of rounds since and he now loves it. Best advice is don't remove the grips when you clean it and you won't have any issues.

Didn't remove grips. I may just take it out back and fire off a couple of rounds to see if it cycles with live ammo.

If you drop the mag and then cycle the slide, does it still not extract? I've had that issue with a few guns.....the springs in the mag are quicker than I can cycle the slide. Once I've dropped the mag, the chambered round extracts fine....but not with a loaded mag. Just a thought. I currently own two Bersa Thunder .380 Plus, and had three of the regular .380's. Never had one single issue with them. Also had the old Model 23 .22 which was the grandfather of the current Thunder .22. Best .22 pistol I've owned.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have a Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact (the 9mm version of your gun) and it has thousands of rounds through it with no issues at all. Great firearm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    If you drop the mag and then cycle the slide, does it still not extract? I've had that issue with a few guns.....the springs in the mag are quicker than I can cycle the slide. Once I've dropped the mag, the chambered round extracts fine....but not with a loaded mag. Just a thought. I currently own two Bersa Thunder .380 Plus, and had three of the regular .380's. Never had one single issue with them. Also had the old Model 23 .22 which was the grandfather of the current Thunder .22. Best .22 pistol I've owned.

I'm pretty sure that is the case. I thought it might be the hollow points I had loaded so switched to ball. I realized that when I took the safety off I was able to cycle the slide and eject and load the next round while working the slide.

Links