Couple SP-101 questions

Couple SP-101 questions

This is a discussion on Couple SP-101 questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering sending my SP-101 out for a action/trigger job. I know there are several people/companies that offer this service but I am wondering ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Couple SP-101 questions

Couple SP-101 questions

I am considering sending my SP-101 out for a action/trigger job. I know there are several people/companies that offer this service but I am wondering specifically about the ones the members here have done business with? Is there one you recommend? Also, since it would already be in the shop I am considering having it chamfered to accept moon clips. Are moon clips really noticeably faster then speed loaders?

Thanks
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I just replaced the hammer spring in mine with a Wolff 10# and left the facotry return and I polished up all the contact points with metal polish and a dremel while I had it apart (including rounding and polishing the bar the hammer spring rides on) and it is smooth as silk. Cost me a couple dollars and about 20 minutes. Moonclips, I can't speak to.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I just finished mine last night replaced the main spring with a wolf 10# and trigger spring with wolf 8#,disassembled the trigger group and polished all the parts including the edges of the trigger itself and the difference over stock is very noticable. You can do this by yourself with the exploded view pics from rugers website. As far as the moon clips I couldnt tell you I carry 2 speed loaders when I carry my sp which isnt very often it is primarily my home defense gun .

cmb
    I cannot speak from experience but moon clips seem faster in action to reload... hint Jerry Miculek!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Moon clips are fast to reload but can be bent when being carried and don't allow you to "top off" the gun tactical reload style. One advantage is that two moon clips will usually fit in a speedloader pouch, so you double your spare ammo in the same space.

I have a few guns that use moonclips. My advice is to invest in a tool from Brownell's or somewhere to strip out empties. A good trick is to cut away some metal (from clips you'll only use at the range) with a Dremel tool so that the rounds are only barely retained. That makes range use much easier, but I mark mine with paint so I don't accidently try to use them for carry and risk dropping rounds everywhere.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Problem is - who makes moon clips for SP101s? And for rimmed cartridges?

Moon clips solve the problem of loading and extracting a rimless cartridge from a revolver, and an extra bonus is that they're quick to reload - the shining example being Jerry Miculek. I just question the availability of moon clips for the SP101 and the wisdom of using them on a rimmed cartridge. For the expense involved, I'd rather invest in some good Safariland speedloaders and practice a lot.
    wmhawth likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Problem is - who makes moon clips for SP101s? And for rimmed cartridges?

Moon clips solve the problem of loading and extracting a rimless cartridge from a revolver, and an extra bonus is that they're quick to reload - the shining example being Jerry Miculek. I just question the availability of moon clips for the SP101 and the wisdom of using them on a rimmed cartridge. For the expense involved, I'd rather invest in some good Safariland speedloaders and practice a lot.

You can buy the .38 special and .357 moonclips (they are expensive), and/or have the cylinder conversion to 9mm from TK Customs, or do the moonclip conversion for .38 special and .357.

Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com

As far as having trigger work done, like others have already mentioned, a 10lb hammer spring and a bit of tlc to the metal to metal contact parts worked wonders for me. I am also thinking about buying some hammer and trigger shims here which virtually eliminate any trigger or hammer dragging, which would make the action less "gritty".

http://www.triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html

Check out GeminiCustoms.com. They do moonclips and lots more!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I smoothed mine out just by pulling the trigger while watching a DVD. The wieght of the trigger pull never bothered me so I didnt mess with it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

KoB
    Check out: Mag-na Port LTD for custom work.

They are a fixture in the gun customizing business! I had them tweak my CA .44spl. Excellent work!!

---
    - http://www.hardy3.com/img/masonic/Clipart/mason54.gif

Cool

Wolff 9 lb. hammer spring and lots of dry firing worked for mine.

The Pachmayr grip made a difference not only in recoil but also in ease of trigger pull over the factory grips for me.

Good luck.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    I smoothed mine out just by pulling the trigger while watching a DVD. The wieght of the trigger pull never bothered me so I didnt mess with it.
    The SP101 trigger isn't bad to begin with and it does further smooth out with use. I didn't feel the need to do a trigger job on mine.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Rollo:

I have a S&W 25-2 which fires Auto-rim and 45 ACP. The space between the cylinder and frame (headspace) where the firing strikes the cartridge, is much wider on the S&W than on my SP101 in order to accommodate the moon clips. Auto rim cartridges have a thick head, and don't need moon clips, but the ACP does. Once you have the SP converted to use moon clips, I don't think you can fire the SP without them, without experiencing light hits, or no fire at all. It is something to consider, since using moon clips is a PITA.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Sp101

I have several revolvers cut for moon clips by TJ Custom they are fast on a reload. The revolvers work just fine with or without moon clips,fast service from the shop,send your cylinder and let them know how many clips and I usually have the cylinder back in a week...John

There are only three places I would send my Ruger SP-101, and they are Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide, or as Philly Boy said, Gemini Custom, LLC.

The third place would be Power Custom/Grand Masters in my home state of Missouri, in the heart of the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks.

For at least three decades, Ron Power was "The Man" to do any custom Ruger work on Rugers. I've had him work on two of my guns in the past (1980's). The only thing is, that these days Ron is pretty much retired, and I'm not sure if they are doing any custom work on individual guns anymore.

From the website, it looks as if his son Randall has taken over operations and they mainly sell their custom parts and fixtures to work on your own guns. But it is certainly worth a phone call to see what they offer.

If they are still doing individual work, Ron Power's would be my first choice, then Bill and Gemini.

BTW... if you go to Gemini, check out that wicked Satin Black T finish they can put on your 101. I would seriously consider having that done to one of my SP-101's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links