Kel tec PF9 vs Polish P64

This is a discussion on Kel tec PF9 vs Polish P64 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I'm looking at getting one of these choices for concealed carry and can't decide between the two. I like that the pf9 uses ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kel tec PF9 vs Polish P64

Hey guys I'm looking at getting one of these choices for concealed carry and can't decide between the two. I like that the pf9 uses the more potent 9x19 and gives me 7+1 vs the p64 with 6+1 but dont think that one round advantage is a huge deal for CC. Also if the pf9 were to have a problem I could ship it back to kel tec and get it fixed. If the P64 has a problem I gotta fix it myself or find someone who can do it. Although from research it seems that the p64 may be the more reliable pistol. They both are about the same size. The DAO vs DA/SA isn't a big deal to me as I can train for both. I see myself also buying either the p11 or cz82 sometime down the road depending on what I choose between the pf9 and p64 btw. I guess my biggest concerns are reliability and recoil/muzzle flip...so do you guys have any advice or experience with either of these pistols? Thanks.

i have no personal experience with both guns. basing from what you said, i would pick the PF9. if you want to know more about the PF9 before you buy it, you can visit KTOG forum. i would also suggest you check out the Ruger LC9 its a direct competetor of the PF9.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own are have owned all the pistols you are considering. Of the handguns you mention I would strongly suggest you get a CZ82 if you are looking for an inexpensive CCW option. Its a far better handgun than anything made by Keltec and handles and operates much better than the Polish P64. Even with new Wolff springs the P64 DA pull is still very heavy. While the CZ82 is heavier obviously than the polymer frame KT's its a well made pistol and extremely reliable. 9mm Mak ammo is inexpensive and easy to find online also.
    Last edited by pirate; August 16th, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Don't for get that the pf-9 is about half the weight of the p-64. That makes for a comfortable carry pistol. The more comfy it is to carry the more you will with out haveing to think about it. Around my area they can be bought for 240 dollars and mine had NO issues at all with 115gr and 125gr. I never shot 147's in small pistols. I did add 2 layers of bike inner tube. 3/4" covered buy 1 3/4" piece to help with control on the grip. Being as light as it is can make for a tougher range section but that is the down side. KT also has the best CS , well maybe second to ruger,maybe. I have shot the p-64 and they are a nice heavier compact pistol. The weight and caliber puts it in with a different group. also the da/sa trigger. P-11 has a not so great trigger compaired to allmost anything but does still have a lighter weight and high cap ability with the sw59 mags as backup. Price is the same as the pf-9. Just got to try the 2 and deside what works for you. Both KT's shoot well. Not the best looking pistols but they work well.
    cmb likes this.

I guess I should have explained a little better. I'm looking at both of these because they are priced within my budget. If I go with the pf9 than down the road I would probably get the p11 also as to stick with the same caliber. Same would go for the p64 and cz82. I don't want to get anything bigger dimensionaly than the pf9 or p64 for CC. Weight isn't much of an issue as these would be carried on my hip. I would love to shoot both but the one range that rents guns nearby doesn't have either pistols. Thanks for the help so far.

I have both. Neither are my favorite gun to shoot. If you have larger hands, the P-64 is susceptible to slide bite. I opened up my hand pretty good the last time I shot it.

Of the two, I would go with the PF9. Trigger is better, even though it is a DAO. Lifetime warranty. Light, thin. Supposedly aftermarket night sights from XS are in the works and should be available before the end of the year.

For the price, I think everyone should own a PF9. I was really surprised by the little $250 gun myself. I bought one about a month ago, so I cannot speak for longevity, but so far it is a heck of a gun for the price. I bought the gun, cleaned the gun, oiled the gun, and then it sat around and gathered dust for 3 weeks until I went out and shot it. Put 200+ rounds through it in 1 session flawlessly. And the recoil is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I am 5'6" short and 145# soaking wet, and it did not bother me in the slightest bit. The worst part of the range trip with it was that I only had 1 mag to reload nearly 30 times to get 200 through it.

cmb
    I had a PF 9 and I have a PA63 (not P64 but similar) I second the slide bite to the Walther style guns... I sold my PF9 only so I could get a snubbie as the snub is more versatile for my carry options... I liked the PF9 and had absolutely no problems with it. I would go PF9!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

There have been no issues with our (wifes) PF9 mechanically. For carry I stick to the 115 gr Speer GDHP, instead of the regular 124 gr +P GDHP that we use on our other 9's. The 115's are not too bad to shoot out of the light weight PF 9.

As far as the finish on the PF9, well it does require that it be wiped down nightly with a silicone cloth to keep it from rusting. Although being that we are 40+ days over 100 this summer hasn't helped the situation any. Once it cools down and the gun isn't getting soaked every day the maintenance level should drop considerably. However, being a carry gun, I don't expect them to remain in perfect condition, just functional and reliable.

For the price, it is hard to beat the PF9 in my book.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    p-11 and later, if you don't mind weight and have some $$ get a BHP.

with the up tick in mass happenings i have made the switch to these two items for EDC.
    the p-11 has virtually the same dimensions and weight as a S&W 642 though it has 11 rounds of 9mm vs 5 of 38 spl.
    the BHP will hold 14+P's for carry but not recommended for constant practice.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I held a P64 once, it was very nice. Pretty much a PPK in 9x18. I would go for the PF9 for easier support and more available rounds
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

PF-9 gets my vote. Affordable, accurate, reliable.....and light as a feather and thin as a potato chip.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I had a PF9. Biggest POS ever!

I would never trust my life to a Kel-Tec
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

EdC
    You will find varying opinions on the reliability of the PF-9. I own two, a blued slide and a chrome slide. The blued slide ran perfect out of the box, with just a clean and lube. The chrome slide gun needed polishing of the chamber and feed ramp, and tweak of the extractor spring, as it was running about a 5% failure to extract until I fixed it with the help of the KTOG forum. I would trust my life to both. However, from reading the KTOG forum, some poor souls get stuck with real lemons.

The PF-9 is difficult to shoot, for me. Hard snappy recoil and slide bite. Accuracy is ok, but as good as I will ever need it at close range. I love it and use it as a pocket pistol.

As for the durability of the blued slide, wax it! Some use paste floor wax, I had some Renaissance wax hanging around. Lots of info on KTOG for that.

accuracy from the PF-9 is plenty good for its intended purpose. 7 yards, unsupported slow fire.......

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links