Opinions on the Remington R1 1911

This is a discussion on Opinions on the Remington R1 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about this gun since it was introduced, I really love the look of it (I don't really care for parkerized or stainless ...

Thread: Opinions on the Remington R1 1911

I've been thinking about this gun since it was introduced, I really love the look of it (I don't really care for parkerized or stainless guns, to each his own). Hoping to get some opinions from members that own or have shot one!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Don't have one, have heard mixed reports on it (like everything else), but it looks very "GI," just like I prefer them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I wasn't really impressed with the one my LGS got in, but I'm going to wait to see a couple more before judging it a poor product. Upon inspection the trigger pull was heavy and gritty and way too long before breaking for a SA 1911. The fit was just so-so and the finish was good for the price range. I wouldn't have purchased this example and I'm hoping they aren't all like the one I examined.

I looked at one prior to purchasing my Colt, more out of curiosity than interest. It looked nice, but I knew I was buying the Colt.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I handled one at a gun show two weeks ago,
    Its OK.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    It looks nice, but it's also a new release. In the $700 price range, spend just a little more and you can get a Colt.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It looks nice, but it's also a new release. In the $700 price range, spend just a little more and you can get a Colt.
    I agree; the Remington looks nice, but for around $800 you can get a Colt 1991.
    GunBroker.com: NIB Colt Commander 1991, "Buy Now" price $795.

I have seen Colts 1991 Government online selling for $760.

O1991.jpg
    Colt 1991 Series
    Last edited by GM; August 18th, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

OD*
    I'll have to agree with the others, the R1's are OK, I don't for see ever buying one though.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I bought one

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I'll have to agree with the others, the R1's are OK, I don't for see ever buying one though.
    I bought one at an NRA Dinner as a support for te cause and because it reminded me of the one I trained with in the Marine Corp. One thing though this was much better than the Colt I had in the Marine Corp. It has a match grade barrel and the tightest bushing I have ever seen on any Pistol Period. It is a bit of a drag you need a wrench to break down this pistol but that is because the tolerance is so tight. Out of the box I did a 2" group @ 25 yards first five rounds. Now they may not all be this good but for the $700 I paid remember it was an NRA auction. I am very happy with the purchase. Many Bullseye shooters with Scopes and red dots don't keep them within 2 inches, and I'm not that good actually. If you want a good less expensive 1911 check this one out. I have never been disappointed by a Remington anything.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I paid 600 even for my R1,It was my first 1911 I got a few years ago,it was a TALO model also which had nicer grips than the std model
    I loved its looks and finish and it ran like a champ and ate everything I fed it also it was MADE IN USA .....

Sponsored Links