Cheap pocket pistols and attached flashlights.

This is a discussion on Cheap pocket pistols and attached flashlights. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I have asked a couple questions here before, and I really sincerely appreciate the effort and answers! Now, I am listening to you experts, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pirate

Thread: Cheap pocket pistols and attached flashlights.

First, I have asked a couple questions here before, and I really sincerely appreciate the effort and answers! Now, I am listening to you experts, and I have trouble putting my life in the hands of a $200 plastic pistols. What do you think for cc?

Second, most encouraged me to get a light but no laser. OK, what is the law on pointing a loaded weapon at another person, perhaps that is no threat, but I would not know person is of no threat as I am identifying threats with the light. Is that not some sort of assault? I personally believe no weapon (loaded or not) should ever be pointed at anyone, ever! I go ballistic in gun stores where they waive handguns everywhere!

You point a pistol at anybody that isn't a threat you are looking at the very least a brandishing charge and could be looking at a assault with a deadly weapon.in either case you won't have to worry about trusting your life to a 200.00 pistol,Guns don't come out of holsters unless their is an actual threat,guns don't get pointed at threats unless you are prepared to shoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    dukalmight makes some good points. As far as cheap pistol, there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive when it comes to firearms. Cheap handguns like guns made by Lorcin, Davis, Phoenix and others are cheaply made. Handguns by makers like Kel Tec and Bersa for example are well made generally but relatively inexpensive. Point being there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. That being said you are better off saving your pennies for a while and purchasing a quality well made weapon to begin with than settling for a lesser gun. Your life and families life may depend on it. Times are tight now in this Obama economy for many people that is for sure, but the way to make a wise handgun purchase is to do your research and due diligence (as you are doing now) and get out and touch and handle some guns. Shoot handguns some of your friends own, or rent some at a local range. Don't be afraid to look at quality pre-own handgun either since very good bargains can be found often that way.

Last edited by pirate; August 18th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    A small flashlight in your pocket is one of the best, and most used, tools you can have. You will use a separate light FAR more often than you would a weapon-mounted light. You can train to use them in conjunction almost as easily as a WML.

As for cheap pistols, you use what you can afford until you can afford better. Just remember that it doesn't take a mint to own a quality handgun - don't believe the hype. Research and lots of user reviews can lead you to quality tools for less than you might think.

Good luck!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Some days I carry a Kimber.. Some days I carry a Kel Tec.. I trust my life to either.. (and others in between lol)

And to expand on that.. I would trust my life to a Hi-Point or lesser gun IF AND ONLY IF the gun has been put through the break in process, and has fired a consecutive amount of flawless rounds through it..

*same rule applies to more expensive guns as well..

Quote Originally Posted by DrPastor View Post
    First, I have asked a couple questions here before, and I really sincerely appreciate the effort and answers! Now, I am listening to you experts, and I have trouble putting my life in the hands of a $200 plastic pistols. What do you think for cc?

Second, most encouraged me to get a light but no laser. OK, what is the law on pointing a loaded weapon at another person, perhaps that is no threat, but I would not know person is of no threat as I am identifying threats with the light. Is that not some sort of assault? I personally believe no weapon (loaded or not) should ever be pointed at anyone, ever! I go ballistic in gun stores where they waive handguns everywhere!

You need to have a small handheld light beside your weapon mounted light. Use the handheld for general searching and basic ID. ONLY use the light on you handgun as you are raising the weapon preparing to use it. I personally do not think a WML is necessary on a CCW gun. For HD use they are awesome though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would only use a weapon-mounted light for home defense, not for carry. For carry, use a separate light, for all the reasons listed.

For home defense, a mounted light allows you a free hand for other tasks - phone, doors, light switches, grabbing the kids, etc. You can keep the pistol pointed down at a low ready position and use the light without pointing the muzzle at anyone. This is a training issue.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by DrPastor View Post

I'm surprised this has not already been said. If you pointed a flashlight at me that was on the end of a gun there would instantly be a problem. Don't point that thing at anyone or thing you don't fully intend on destroying. I carry a 220 Lumens flashlight seperate from my weapon. When I go to check on a strange noise or whatever I don't necesarilly want a gun drawn and pointed all the time.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    dukalmight makes some good points. As far as cheap pistol, there is a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive when it comes to firearms. Cheap handguns like guns made by Lorcin, Davis, Phoenix and others are cheaply made. Handguns by makers like Kel Tec and Bersa for example are well made generally but relatively inexpensive. Point being there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. That being said you are better off saving your pennies for a while and purchasing a quality well made weapon to begin with than settling for a lesser gun. Your life and families life may depend on it. Times are tight now in this Obama economy for many people that is for sure, but the way to make a wise handgun purchase is to do your research and due diligence (as you are doing now) and get out and touch and handle some guns. Shoot handguns some of your friends own, or rent some at a local range. Don't be afraid to look at quality pre-own handgun either since very good bargains can be found often that way.

Look at sccy cpx-2

Sponsored Links